Help me choose. 925 or 1020

newarcticman

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys, first post here. I live in Germany, I can get the vodafone 925 Black 32 GB, I just can't decide if I should get the 1020 or not.

925 32 GB
+ 30 Euro X 1 + 40 Euro X 24
+ Much thinner and lighter than 1020
+ I like the design of 925 more than 1020
- Not able to zoom in video and photo? (please clarify)
- some reviews say the camera is not as good as S4 or iPhone 5

1020 +++
+ Super Camera
+ Able to zoom!
- Takes 3 seconds to save a photo (From GSMAreana review)
- 30 Euro X 1 + 65 Euro X 24. That's (65 - 40) X 24 = 600 Euro more expensive than 925

Basically I want to have a good camera, to replace my Compact camera, is the 925 good enough for that?
is the 925 good enough for night photos in clubbing? :p
I also want to use my phone to record some Concert, I have a panasonic LX3. Not sure if the 925 can produce good 720p video.

One important factor is, can I zoom in the 925 for photo and video?

Anyone can help me to decide?

Thanks

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
The 925 should suffice you, It has zoom on video, and it takes amazing pictures. However, if you WANT (see how I didn't use NEED) a Camera that will excel anything + a WP8 device then you will have to buy a 1020. It is better than the 925 in certain areas, but is not a HUGE difference overall. Both take amazing pictures, have rich recording for your concerts, low light photos are amazing for you clubbing and well video should be on par. Both shoot up to 1080p..

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
On the 925 you will be able to zoom in on photos and videos but it's a digital zoom so it's definitely not recommended. The 1020 has 3x lossless zoom, so no problems there. I think you'll get a mixed bag on the 925 when comparing the camera. Some will say it is better than the other phones other's won't. I think it's pretty safe to say it's on par. In low light conditions it's generally regarded as being a very good performer indeed. Even better if you know your way around a camera. The 925 can produce good 1080p video and has HAAC recording jus the same as the 1020. It won't have stereo HAAC recording like the 1020 (until a firmware update) and its running effectively generation 1 of the Optical Imaging Stabilisation technology (which is still ahead of the rest). The 1020 runs a different (generation 2) version of the OIS using a more mechanical system to keep everything stable.

It basically boils down to the camera. If you want a camera to replace your compact that you will just likely share the photos online and never try to print them out the 925 is the way to go and you'll not regret it. If you want a camera to replace a point and shoot and you intend to print those photos out or really use them and you don't mind the price/weight difference for the sake of the best phone camera in the world, the 1020 is the way to go.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you know what you're doing with the 925 or using a great app like Proshot, you can get amazing photos with the 925. Even if you're an "all auto; just point and shoot" kind of guy, you'll still get great photos from the 925.

There are lots of guides to help with this.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I faced the same predicament recently and went for a 925.

I consider the 1020 to be a camera with a phone, whereas the 925 is a phone with a camera, the camera also happens to be very good.

Some of the factors that swayed me towards the 925 were it's weight, design and aluminium finish. The photos it takes are more then good enough to replace a point and shoot camera. The extra weight and bulk of the 1020 put me off, that same things persuaded me to switch from a 920 to a 925.

As a device I'll have in my pocket every day the size/weight and feel in my pocket is very important.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
It basically boils down to the camera. If you want a camera to replace your compact that you will just likely share the photos online and never try to print them out the 925 is the way to go and you'll not regret it. If you want a camera to replace a point and shoot and you intend to print those photos out or really use them and you don't mind the price/weight difference for the sake of the best phone camera in the world, the 1020 is the way to go.

I've printed out some photos that I've taken on the 925 and they're pretty good. It's my main device for taking photos of my family with. I do own a compact digital camera but would never think to actually use it as my phone is always on me.

David Horn

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't take enough photos to justify the added bulk of the 1020. The 925 takes awesome photos, quickly, and even with a wireless charging cover is still pretty slim and light.

newarcticman

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
HI guys! Thanks for all those insightful comments. Yes, I have made my decision. I will get my Vodafone 32 GB 925 probably tomorrow (24 hours from this post)

I will post a review or maybe a unBoxing if I have the time.

The only little regret I have is....

Drop test of 920 from youtube showed me that the 925 is not as durable as the 920, any insight? Well but I got an extra lens and thinner body...

digitalicecream

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Camera is secondary to Signal. I have a 920 right now unlocked and running the French ROM so I have Amber. It's amazing, but I don't have signal where I live. Some pocket problems in my neighborhood where I get no signal in my home/neighborhood. I want signal obviously, and data. I chose to bet on a 925 over a 1020 because with Tmobile I wont have signal where I live. My 920 works fine in the Bay area, but I don't live there.

So I am getting a 925, if it doesn't have signal, I'm getting an HTC One because my wife's phone is working like a charm. So I still say, signal is king.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon