925 / Canada / Firmware

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Since the 925 isn't available in Canada, how do firmware updates work with an unlocked phone? I've always had carrier locked phones, found someone selling theirs using my carrier and says the phone works. I want to make sure when 8.1 is officially released, do I use the Nokia software for PC to install or will I still get OTA?

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Since the 925 isn't available in Canada, how do firmware updates work with an unlocked phone? I've always had carrier locked phones, found someone selling theirs using my carrier and says the phone works. I want to make sure when 8.1 is officially released, do I use the Nokia software for PC to install or will I still get OTA?
It will still have a firmware connected to the country from where it was originally bought so u will still get the ota updates depending in when its released there.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok that makes sense...I just want to make sure I'll get 8.1. If it's an international unlocked version hypothetically speaking, does it require manual updates?

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok that makes sense...I just want to make sure I'll get 8.1. If it's an international unlocked version hypothetically speaking, does it require manual updates?

Nope ota will arrive. This is the trouble with guys in US and Can lol u guys are so used to carrier locked phones, we guys in India always have unlocked phones that can be used internationally :)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Nope ota will arrive. This is the trouble with guys in US and Can lol u guys are so used to carrier locked phones, we guys in India always have unlocked phones that can be used internationally :)
I am constantly amazed that we let that happen. don't know why some car maker doesn't start giving away cars or selling them for half of what other cars cost but can only run on one brand of gas owned by the car maker. Of course that gas would cost 2 or 3 times as much as any other gas but our cell service business model shows it would probably work.

Fortunately the trend is changing but can't be fast enough.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I hope ur current model don't catch on in our country, although there are already a few local phones that are beginning to be carrier locked...
But since the popularity of dual Sim phones only seem to be rising I think the carrier locking is slowly going away.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

very true, uneducated and used to going the easier route. We are so used to the carriers subsidiary on phones that its become a chain link for most of the population. I also do hope the unlocked format caries over here, I highly doubt our way will move in your direction as people are already knowledgeable and aware its a contract lock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2