Got my 925 for +~1 month, my impressions

Eliminateur

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
So i got my shiny new white 925 and here are my impressions, i'll try and leave out the software impressions as those aren't specific to the phone and just focus on the hardware:

what i like:
"quality" feel, that metal around feels nice
OLED screen is gooorgeous
the sensitive touch is great
volume is passable
great camera quality(haven't tested much)
the noise cancelling system works a treat, using speakerphone people often don't notice it!

what i don't like:
After a couple of days the back was already starting to get dirt marks, it feels scratch-prone as well that's why i got a cover.
it heats up too easily for mundane tasks, and for soem continuous usage it REALLY heats
the sensitive touch works unstable, sometimes it picks up my nails, others doesn't
no SD card(can't complain really as i don't really care)
late addon: the "non-reasily removable" battery i son't like, i tend to keep phones for ~10 years which means at least a battery change... and to do this i'll have to tear this one apart

what i hate:
battery life is atrocious :crying:, i switched from my 5800 mainly because i was getting fedup of having to charge it every day(when it was new i charged it once per week), lo and behold this one doesn't even lasts a day:
10hrs of light usage and it's barely on 30%, by sleep time it's already on battery saver.
And if i do use it then it will barely reach 20% by the end of the workday.
What's worse is that my usage pattern is really light, i only have whatsapp as a "data app", don't use social networks or take pictures or watch videos normally, phone is on a wifi connection all day, the only mailbox configured will probably get 20 mails per day(and only headers, no image or attach download set).
If i actively use the browser, get/do some "10min" calls, sms and some whatsapp it fails horribly.

Last edited:

panchovx

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
With my experience with WP I can add that wifi connections are more power wasting than the 3g/4g connections. Look on your battery saver app to find some task runing on background.

Eliminateur

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
i only have whatsapp in background (apart from store, system and all that usual suspects).

3G only here, and 3g should be way more power consuming than wifi :S

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
i only have whatsapp in background (apart from store, system and all that usual suspects).

3G only here, and 3g should be way more power consuming than wifi :S
On this phone if you are running 8.1 WIFI drains way more battery, but you could have an issue with your carrier's network since your battery should last 24+ hours with moderate use. Go into network settings and turn off auto for network selection and manually set your carrier. A couple of weeks ago Cricket/At&t's network was draining the crap out of my battery with the network selection on auto, but it went back to normal by manually selecting Cricket. If that's not the problem, try putting the phone in airplane mode, turn it off, turn it back on after a minute or two, and then turn off airplane mode. That normally resolves about half of battery issues.

Rotary635

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for two days. I guess we are late to the party.

Most of my observations are pretty similar. I am running 8.1 on ATT and the battery is pretty bad. Everything else is awesome.

Tried the airplane trick. I get to about 30% after ten hours of heavy usage with all connections on and auto brightness

I love this phone.

Eliminateur

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
we only have practically a single carrier here so auto selection won't do much difference.

i'll test the airplane mode trick on the week

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
As far as the battery goes, give your phone a chance. I noticed after getting my 920 last year in May that the battery life was just okay, then after a month or so it started saying only nine hours of battery life after a charge. That changed a few weeks later and it got to the point where I was getting 48+ hours of life out of a single charge. My 925 has gotten me over 30 hours of battery life at times, and since the Cyan update, I at least get a good 14-15 hours out of it. I expect that will improve over time, too.

anon8433722

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm possibly picking up a Lumia 925 this evening for a great price. One of the concerns I have in general with smartphones is battery life. I currently have a Lumia 635 on AT&T and I generally get 24 hours on a charge. This includes moderate to heavy usage. With a phone I need to have good camera, not a passable one. The 635 doesn't even have flash. If the 925 is damaged or something is seriously wrong with it I'll walk away knowing I have a competent phone in the 635. But, I wouldn't mind a better quality screen and camera.

Rotary635

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I owned the 635 for a week before owning my 925.

After a week of usage with the 925 I can say the 635 is way better with battery.

The only way I can get through my day is by turning the battery saver on and disable almost ALL apps running in background

What this means is I have to manually check for email or social media updates which I dont mind.

My stand by time is awesome though

It stays 100% without a single drop in battery for 8 hours through the night.

I've got to add that the camera is freaking phenomenal. Like iPhone quality. The low light shots are awesome for a phone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Eliminateur

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
well after some more months....
i'm still waiting for denim, other than that:
the battery life is the same, airplane trick didn't do anything

if i use the phone LIGHT during the day(some whatsapp messages, no calls) by 6~pm the phone is near 30%.
If i get a couple calls or more whatsapp messages, even a little before i'm already on battery saver.
And i don't use skype, facebook nor ANY background active app(they're all disabled, even IE), so batt life is beyond atrocious.

Another thing is that the display scratched quite easily, one time i put the car key in the same pocket and it already scratched the glass noticeably, so much for "gorilla" glass....

other than that i love the thing

titanrb

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
After 1 year of using my lumia 925 i have to agree with the screen getting scratched... About the battery life i can say i dont have problems with it... I use waze, facebook, asphalt everything and lasts the whole day...

Breever

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
If you are on Wifi all day, try putting max data speed to 2g instead of 3g, in my case, it really helps to prolong battery life on my 925.

Eliminateur

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
If you are on Wifi all day, try putting max data speed to 2g instead of 3g, in my case, it really helps to prolong battery life on my 925.
yeah but that doesn't helps when i'm not on wifi, as this phone just doesn't pass data in 2G(unlike my old 5800xm which worked better in 2G), if the 925 drops to edge, no matter how strong the signal, data just doesn't passes, not even 1 bps

Breever

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Weak signal drains battery fast as hell, if your max speed is set to 3g or 4g, then phone will try to find fastest network which drains battery, set it on 2g and it should make it better. For example, one night I set max speed to 4g and overnight it drained about 20%, but other night with 2g it drained about 3-5%.

lexus232

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Battery life and heating are the reasons I sold my Lumia 925 two weeks ago.
Try skype and listening to Spotify on this phone, you will kill battery in like 3 hours. From 100 percent to 5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes