Will the Lumia 925 be Windows 10 compatible? - I'm not so sure

Rodders82

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Windows 10 on the Lumia 925 for the last few builds, including the most recent build, 10536. Throughout, the experience has so far been painful. Yes, there are a few nice things like the enhancements around notification and the new quick access options such as flash-light, but even with the bug fixes, the performance has been consistently poor. I noticed some improvement after doing a hard reset but the experience has been one of pure frustration. The worst things are:

• The amount of time it takes to resume after clicking the home button
  • Poor app loading times
  • Refusal of the notifications area to drag down, or close
  • Waiting around for the camera app to load, or the time taken to realise a picture has been taken.
  • The pictures app taking a long time to load the images which are stored locally
  • Edge - the new browser is great on the desktop, and likely much better on newer handsets. On the 925 it is infuriating. Waiting several seconds for your favourites to load, poor page rendering times, no feedback on navigation often sitting there with an all white screen and no loading bar, some websites refusing to load or refresh without at least a handful for attempts.

If you've been considering loading this onto your phone, I would say hold off until an official launch for this device (unless you're okay with restoring an older version after a quick play).

I honestly can't see Microsoft supporting Windows 10 on the 925 officially. The latest build was meant to address loading times and general performance and it's not really helped on this device. I suspect it is underpowered.

It's a shame, as I see a pattern for the major releases hitting a single handset. Each release has underperformed the previous version. I bought the 925 with Windows 8.0. It was buttery smooth. 8.1 brought some welcome functionality enhancements, but was the first time I noticed Windows Phone lagging. Windows Mobile (10) on this handset is just not fit for purpose. I'm not saying that other OS providers look after supported handsets any better, but I've been disappointed over the course of my 24 month contract.

As an aside, I'm also leaving Windows Phone/Mobile. It's been a few years now (since the Lumia 900's introduction). For the first time the app gap has affected me. With Amazon Instant Video now available offline on Android and iOS, the introduction of Prime Music and the fact that my bank and the coffee companies I buy from have supported apps on the other ecosystems (not to mention the official Sonos app) the pull is strong. Microsoft having most of their apps and services available on the other platforms also makes switching easier. I've no doubt Cityman and Talkman and whatever comes after will be great handsets and I wouldn't say no to buying another Windows Mobile later, but for now, until Project Astoria is in full swing and app makers are porting their Android apps en masse to Windows, I'm out for now.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
im finding most of those issues too

I also find that the battery lasts around 12-18 hours. IMO not long enough

but yeah, its a preview, im not whinging. ill stick with 8.1 for the moment until the official win10 is out

Bill Zrv

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, I logged to ask if it is worth to install windows 10 on my 925.. But since I saw your post, I'll stay back and wait for the official release. Thanks!

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Unless I see the 925 updated to Windows 10 officially soon as they promised, I'll be done with Windows Phones too. Way too many apps I could use that just aren't supported and the new Windows 950 models aren't that much less than an I-Phone...no reason to stay on this platform anymore.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
All phones will be supported, some officially and others not so much.. Nonetheless all phones can run w10, however things such as memory and ram and soc could play a role

Try factory resetting, but don't restore any backups.. check if that helps (long-shot tho)

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Latest build (not todays) seems pretty good. Phone is sluggish - I didn't do a reset on W10 - but the battery life!! Its awesome!

wmedwards

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok... Outside of the obvious spec limitations of a two year old phone, the 925 (to me) is probably the best pocketable Windows Phone out there. My wife and I both use the 1520 as our daily drivers, but sometimes you just want a phone that does what a phone is supposed to do. Make calls, text, read email, have Cortana answer questions and surf the web. That said, hopefully the 925 will be able to run 10 in whatever form is afforded to it...

Just recently unlocked a 925 from T-Mobile for use on Cricket and was still impressed with the phones ability to handle the above expectations and then some. Bought another 925 today as both of us need a reliable backup and 925 probably won't be available (as new) for much longer. Will we stick with Windows as our preferred OS for phone? Probably... As long as Microsoft continues to make inroads with Continuum... For a complete OS involving the concept of "Continuum" how can you not have a device which affords all aspects of pocketable communication outside of just Wi/Fi or hard wired service. Just don't think the current brain trust at Microsoft is that shortsighted.

As for the 925 ??? Gotta love the phone, 10 or no 10. There will be more to come IMHO. In the meantime, enjoy the ride with the 925 as is...

Think I'll wait for the official release of 10 if and when available for the 925.

Last edited:

Cruzebe

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Using the 10581 Build : works fine so far only MS Edge won't start and still some bugs ....example :Location History Cortana can't be set on "on" .
Battery drain is moderate to normal.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros