Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

Wolfeman

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm having an issue where my camera isn't working. The camera app just shuts down or it opens and the camera never comes on, it is just a black screen. I tried a soft reboot and resetting the camera. I hope it isn't dead :(

WP_Skater

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects - Freezes while answering call from lock screen

I searched on terms of 928 freezing and did not find this topic.
We have two Lumia 928 phones on Verizon, my phone is experiencing the problem, my wife's is not.
The proble is intermitent, but happened twice today. I received a phone call and swipe up to get to the options of answer, ingnore or reply with a text. The screen freezes at this point and allows me to answer the call only, the ignore or reply with a test options are not responsive. I can comlete the call but the screen stays frozen in the state of answer, ignore reply with a text. I can't hang up and when the caller on the other end hangs up the call ends and I am still frozen on this screen. This has happened about 5-6 times since getting the phone almost 3 weeks ago.
The only fix I have found is to power the phone off and on again.
Is this an isolated problem or is this a known bug?
Bryan

I am getting the freezing problem as well, but worse than yours! I am actually surprised not many people are experiencing the same problem as mine.

So, at random times (during texting, emailing, after unlocking the phone or literally any other time), the touch screen would be completely unresponsive. Volume button works, so does the camera, but anything that has to do with touching the screen to get anywhere, tough luck! It happened on the 2nd day a couple of times and I didn't think too much of it, soft reset and problem solved. Then from 3rd day onwards, it started happening erratically and to my annoyance, the soft reset stopped working. Sometimes, i'd be restarting the phone 10-15 times to get the touch screen to work. There's no buzz, no function, no response.. it's really really annoying. I have missed so many calls (I would get the call on the screen, but can't slide up to answer/ignore or anything), got frozen on important emails/texts and am losing my patience with it.

This is my phone 1. Going by what others are saying, this phone still has a lot of bugs and defects and I am not the kind of person which can deal with replacements after replacements on a daily/weekly basis,especially when Amazon wouldn't send me a replacement without getting this one back to them(or I pay them $500 and they refund upon receiving this phone back) and that whole process takes 3-4 days. I love this phone, was excited to use it but seems like I will have to stick with Apple or Android for another 2 years.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Unable to watch Videos that were taken with my 928 and then uploaded to dropbox. I would like to delete the Videos on my phone for space storage reasons but would like to be able to access the videos from Dropbox. Anyone have this issue ?

Wolfeman

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm having an issue where my camera isn't working. The camera app just shuts down or it opens and the camera never comes on, it is just a black screen. I tried a soft reboot and resetting the camera. I hope it isn't dead :(
Anyone have any ideas before I go to Verizon? Is there a way to backup my apps and desktop layout so I don't have to set it all back up again?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any ideas before I go to Verizon? Is there a way to backup my apps and desktop layout so I don't have to set it all back up again?

Before they replace it, a hard reset will be necessary, to see if the problem persists after that. As for start layout, no, there's no way to back it up. Take screenshots. Make sure you've synced photos to PC or SkyDrive, whichever you prefer. Make sure backup is turned on (Settings | Backup), and in the app list + settings do a "back up now."

Go to Settings | About | Reset your Phone | Yes | Yes, and the phone will reset. When it's done resetting, and you start through the setup process, when you get to the point of signing into your Microsoft account, you will be given the opportunity to restore the backup. This will restore settings and installed apps (provided the apps are still in the store). MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN CONNECT TO WIFI AND HAVE TIME TO WAIT UNTIL IT'S DONE. My restore used 1.7 GB (on wifi, of course) the last time I did it. The time before that, it took 2 GB. Before that, I don't recall. The more apps you have, the longer this will take - it took me nearly two hours of installing the last time. You do not want to burn through your data alotment by installing 200+ apps, I'm sure.

The restore will not restore your start screen layout, nor will it restore app data, game progress, or other information saved by your apps, unless those apps sync the information to another place (a server, SkyDrive, etc.).

Once you've done a hard reset, if you still have the same problem, take it to the store and tell them you've already done a hard reset. Good luck with it.

tonbonz

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I got my 928 the day it was released and no real problems so far that I've noticed. Only issue I have is the location of the hardware buttons. Having all 3( vol,pwr, & cam) on the same side leads to alot of accidental camera launches. That and lack of external storage which means no install from SD card. Having access to your personal folders on your PC without the need for Zune software is nice though.

kamikaze80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the same uissue, and no it does not get better.
does it get worse? did you end up returning the phone for that reason? it is definitely a defect and reduces daylight screen visibility.

I've got the glue behind the windows and search buttons, too, but I don't really care about that. everything else is fine.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I think I know what you are talking about, example would be the bottom bar of the wpcentral app vs the body of the posts in the app. I think what you are seeing is that some apps use "black" which is not fully black therefore some light is created to make the black/dark grey color. In the fully black areas it should look just as black as when the display is off because there is no backlight.

I checked this one more closely, in a dark room I opened a plain black image. I see light to be originating from the screen though its completely black. There were also a few random spots here and there in the screen where the OLED is switched off(no light at all). I tried checking this with other applications, I did observe the same in them also. I am not entirely sure whether this is a software bug or not coz I don't see any issue with any other color.... does anyone else have the same observation?

Last edited:

TrustyCow Dog

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone notice the bottoms along the bottom are dim, or is it just my unit. I went from a 8X which had white buttons when lit up, to the 928 and the bottoms appear almost yellowish, and the windows button the top right window it doesnt appear to have been painted in all the way. It's a bunch of dots that you can see when the button is lit up.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice the bottoms along the bottom are dim, or is it just my unit. I went from a 8X which had white buttons when lit up, to the 928 and the bottoms appear almost yellowish, and the windows button the top right window it doesnt appear to have been painted in all the way. It's a bunch of dots that you can see when the button is lit up.

These are very common problems if you've been following this board. Get a replacement, although a lot of them have these issues.

TrustyCow Dog

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah just read through everything, seen a number of complaints about it. I'll call NewEgg tomorrow and see if I can have them send a replacement before I send this one back.

Though I probably shouldn't complain to much, the button isn't even close to as bad as some of the ones I've seen, and the dim buttons is tolerable.

Kennyktloke

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys , I am Kenny from Malaysia , I own Lumia 928 too , and I facing internet sharing problem ! When I turn on the internet sharing , it will load at a long moment and turn out connection not shared , internet sharing is not currently available ! What should I do ?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys , I am Kenny from Malaysia , I own Lumia 928 too , and I facing internet sharing problem ! When I turn on the internet sharing , it will load at a long moment and turn out connection not shared , internet sharing is not currently available ! What should I do ?

Internet Sharing is not free for most. You need to make sure with your carrier that you are configured to be able to do it. Start with them.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
On WM 6.5 you could tether without your carrier knowing it. On WP8 that isn't (yet) possible. So now you need to make sure your carrier allows it, or doesn't charge extra, or maybe they have to set something in your account.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the earpiece on my White Lumia 928 is acting up. I just started noticing it this past weekend, after using the device for about 3 weeks. Randomly, during some phone calls, the earpiece will go silent and I can't hear anything that the other person is saying anymore, even though they can still hear me. After a few of these calls, I eventually figured to try switching to speakerphone and, lo and behold, I can hear the other side of the conversation again. This only happens sometimes, so I'm not sure what is going on. My guess would be a loose connection somewhere with the earpiece that is causing it to go in and out of functionality.

Have not dropped my phone once yet, and no water damage, so it appears to be a manufacturing defect. Going to have to get it switched out with Verizon, although that means I'll be ending up with a refurbished unit in place of an essentially brand new device =(.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Download the updated Nokia Access Point App and try again. Seems to finally allow the changes to stick, but I'm not 100% sure internet sharing will work.

DarkCobra20

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the earpiece on my White Lumia 928 is acting up. I just started noticing it this past weekend, after using the device for about 3 weeks. Randomly, during some phone calls, the earpiece will go silent and I can't hear anything that the other person is saying anymore, even though they can still hear me. After a few of these calls, I eventually figured to try switching to speakerphone and, lo and behold, I can hear the other side of the conversation again. This only happens sometimes, so I'm not sure what is going on. My guess would be a loose connection somewhere with the earpiece that is causing it to go in and out of functionality.

Have not dropped my phone once yet, and no water damage, so it appears to be a manufacturing defect. Going to have to get it switched out with Verizon, although that means I'll be ending up with a refurbished unit in place of an essentially brand new device =(.

Penny,

You may still get a brand new device and not a refurbished device as the devices are only a month old. It's hard to say at this point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism