928 Software Version / First Impressions

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I just got my hands on a 928 from a friend in our tech group. Verizon sent it to us to try out, so it's not the "final" version. I know there were a lot of questions on what software it would run, so I thought I'd shed some light on the one I am using (running portico). Of note, it looks like they took out the ability to change in internet APN, and you still can not change the MMS APN. It doesn't look like MMS/Threaded Text messages has been fixed yet

The phone feels great in my hands. Truth be told I didnt really like the 920 when I checked it out in the Microsoft Store, but I do really like the 928. My 8x is definitely nicer in the hand, but the build quality on the 928 feels great and it doesnt seem anywhere near as fragile. The AMOLED screen is great for WP8 with the dark background, it really blends in nicely and is a significant improvement from my 8x.
WP_20130514_010.jpg
WP_20130514_002.jpg
WP_20130514_008.jpg
WP_20130514_009.jpg
WP_20130514_011.jpg

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the white one is going to be the most popular I barely see any reviews with the black one with the matte finish.
Agreed. Let's hope they stock the stores with white, and don't repeat the pain that it was to get a color other than black with the 822.

markk132

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
No group MMS is still infuriating.

unbelievable, outrageous, inexplicable, ridiculous, unacceptable, etc. I can't possibly think of enough adjectives to describe the omission of group messaging on the biggest carrier in the US. Even if/when it's fixed, I'm just dying to know the reason why Verizon is the ONLY carrier out of every carrier worldwide who could not support this feature..

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
unbelievable, outrageous, inexplicable, ridiculous, unacceptable, etc. I can't possibly think of enough adjectives to describe the omission of group messaging on the biggest carrier in the US. Even if/when it's fixed, I'm just dying to know the reason why Verizon is the ONLY carrier out of every carrier worldwide who could not support this feature..

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I had read that they had it turned off for security reasons. Allegedly it is supposed to get turned back on with a future update, but I have not seen a time table for it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Dude chill. They already said its coming this month.

MarkyD311

May 7, 2013
Visit site

...Especially when group messaging works on VZW Android phones...at least, on my DNA, S3, and RAZR MAXX...and of course my iPhone. I don't understand why VZW would cripple this ONLY on WP8.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that, they told me back in March to expect it at the end of Q2 2013

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ca...zon-group-messaging-arrive-end-2q-2013-a.html
No, they did not tell you to expect it. They told you it was possible.

Possible is very different than "expect it." Possible means it may come, but it may not, and really, they're not promising anything.
You've received "on-the-record" bug responses that are generic and mostly meant to stop people from ******** rather than tell them anything, and you've received "off-the-record" stuff from whoknows that, frankly, is likely off-the-record for a reason.

When Verizon comes out and publicly says "hey, we're fixing this in this patch" I'll get excited. For right now it's Verizon saying they'll possibly fix it, possibly not, and some dude on the internet claiming his buddy at Verizon is promising a fix. We don't know who you are, don't know who this buddy is (is he a product manager on WP? Is he an engineer? Is he just some QA guy or some accountant or some PR guy that doesn't really know the product pipeline in-depth enough for a true timeframe?), and we don't even know if Verizon cares enough to get this resolved, as it could be something hugely time intensive and outside of their hands.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
No, they did not tell you to expect it. They told you it was possible.

Possible is very different than "expect it." Possible means it may come, but it may not, and really, they're not promising anything.
You've received "on-the-record" bug responses that are generic and mostly meant to stop people from ******** rather than tell them anything, and you've received "off-the-record" stuff from whoknows that, frankly, is likely off-the-record for a reason.

When Verizon comes out and publicly says "hey, we're fixing this in this patch" I'll get excited. For right now it's Verizon saying they'll possibly fix it, possibly not, and some dude on the internet claiming his buddy at Verizon is promising a fix. We don't know who you are, don't know who this buddy is (is he a product manager on WP? Is he an engineer? Is he just some QA guy or some accountant or some PR guy that doesn't really know the product pipeline in-depth enough for a true timeframe?), and we don't even know if Verizon cares enough to get this resolved, as it could be something hugely time intensive and outside of their hands.
Actually I can confirm it, I received calls from two VZW third level corp reps on the subject. The email I got is a classic CYA and acknowledgement of the problem. They spent two weeks looking into it and spoke with the internal windows phone dev team...

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually I can confirm it, I received calls from two VZW third level corp reps on the subject. The email I got is a classic CYA and acknowledgement of the problem. They spent two weeks looking into it and spoke with the internal windows phone dev team...

Well, so long as the only confirmation is phone calls from AR2186 on wpcentral.com, I'm waiting until Verizon puts something in writing before I get overjoyed.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, so long as the only confirmation is phone calls from AR2186 on wpcentral.com, I'm waiting until Verizon puts something in writing before I get overjoyed.

I've seen a number of other people on these forums receive similar information from Verizon support after I got that email.

Seperately, what's your deal? Absolutely no need for the hostility, everyone here is just trying to help each other out. If its really that big a deal, go to AT&T or get a different phone on Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes