05-29-2013 10:16 PM
68 123
tools
    I was thinking about making the change as well, Windows 8 really impressed me so i was thinking of making the switch. I'm just worried about battery life.
    Battery life should not be a concern, especially if you are coming from Android when everything can run when it wants to.
    05-21-2013 04:48 AM
    Bah windows phone 7.8 is the better OS. Windows 8 video DRM does not exist = FAIL.

Oh and as for the 928 if you have to use the flash you'll be ******** in the first week about returning the phone. As the new flash they're using makes everything yellow. Bad move on Nokia's part. http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/05...-the-purchase/

Mark this post!
    05-21-2013 06:26 AM
    Bah windows phone 7.8 is the better OS. Windows 8 video DRM does not exist = FAIL.

Oh and as for the 928 if you have to use the flash you'll be ******** in the first week about returning the phone. As the new flash they're using makes everything yellow. Bad move on Nokia's part. http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/05...-the-purchase/

Mark this post!
    And you honestly believe that article? Do you even have this phone?

If you tried the camera on this phone and read the comments below that article then you would know that there is something horribly wrong.

My low light photos look nothing like that and neither do the people's posting in this forum.
    05-21-2013 08:13 AM
    I work in IT every day. I am NOT a fanboy. I've used Android phones EXCLUSIVELY for the last 4+ years, until I got the 928 last week. A few points:

• My battery life on the 928 SUCKED until the 3rd full charge cycle - now it lasts and lasts and lasts!
    • If a 5-minute max screen timeout is a DEALBREAKER, then go to another OS. But if that is your dealbreaker for WP, maybe you are trying to justify a reason to yourself to NOT switch?
    • I also own my own sports photography studio (OhioValleyPhoto.com) and I can tell you it takes about 10 seconds to get rid of that yellow cast from the Xenon flash - again, if that's a deal breaker, maybe you are just trying to find reasons not to deal in the first place?

Of course, "To Each his own", "Your Mileage may vary", etc, etc, etc - but I can tell you that for what I use a smartphone for, this 928 is THE PHONE. I spent the first 48 hours TRYING to find a reason to take it back and wait for the Galaxy S4 release. The fact that I'm still here means that I may still occasionally whine or complain or the lack of an IR blaster but a detail that small is no deal-breaker for me when everything this phone DOES do, it does MAGNIFICENTLY.
    Vallos, wpn00b, biboyflip and 1 others like this.
    05-21-2013 09:16 AM
    5. Screen standby is only 5 minutes max. This will probably be fixed in a few months with an update.
    6. No notification system. This is a known problem with Windows Phone 8 and one that Microsoft might fix down the road.
    7. Less than average camera. I have taken over 50 pictures with both the 928 and my Galaxy Note 2 on automatic settings and stock camera apps without making adjustments and there was only 1 picture out of 50 that the 928 took a better photo than the Note 2. That really surprised me as I was expecting this 928 camera to blow the Note 2 away. I will be posting some comparison pix next week to prove my point. Most of the pictures were not even close. The 928 was always yellow when the Xenon flash was used and the colors were not accurate and oversaturated. The Note 2 gave much better color representation and crisper, clearer images.
    9. Battery life is still not quite there. It is definitely better than the 8x, but I still can't make it through a full day without charging. Off the charger at 6am and need to charge it by 2pm and then make it to about 10pm. That is 8 hours which is what most users want but my Note 2 can make it a day and a half without a charge.
    All of the points i didnt refer to ARE correct, they should be fixed. However, for these others...this is my input:

5. Looking at my Lumia 920, i see "30 mins" and "Never". You will probably get a fix for 928 soon.
    6. PERSONALLY, i hope they dont just copy something similar to Android or iOS b/c im not a fan of their systems (had an S3, my wife has a iP5). I can live without this, not a necessity to me.
    7. Really? Thats disappointing for 928 because everyone that sees my 920 pictures is blown away. Amoungst my friends, we are comparing iPhone5, Androids (not S4) and my Lumia is always coming out ontop. Even in daylight.
    9. I've been complaining about my battery since i got the device...its getting better each week, the more i use it the longer its lasting. i would say give it a few weeks, it will start to improve.
    05-21-2013 09:38 AM
    I wouldn't say they are an obvious difference on stock. The book shelf pic, the table pic, and the counter are the most notable that can be argued. Did the 928 flash for those pics? Cause it looks like it did and the Note didn't. That would change the color of the picture considerably. The Note pics look like they were taken with the lights off, and the 928 pics look like they taken were with the lights on. Also, with the 2nd outside pic I sometimes have issues with cell phone cameras not adjusting to the light well causing that yellow look in the pictures. Having to restart the camera fixes it.

The pic with the fridge and the one with the rock wall look exactly the same.

Your first outside pic is the same photo. Not that they just look the same, but you uploaded the same pic twice.
    Yes. I stated that the tree pic was the same. Both from the 928. All of the indoor pictures were taken with flash on, so the Note 2 was clearly the winner there. I would love to get the 928 camera working the way it should be because I am sure that it must be better than the Note 2. The rock pictures are not the same, you can see much greater detail in the Note 2 pic that is horizontal over the 928.

I will adjust the settings to daylight from Auto and see if that helps. Pictures taken in complete darkness are certainly better on the 928 and videos are as well. I was expecting a lot more from the 928 camera after all of the hype.
    05-21-2013 01:35 PM
    I will keep this short and simple for now since I'm at work:

1. I have owned upwards of 10 Android devices over the past 3+ years including the Note 2. I was heavy into rooting, modding, theming, etc. No matter which device you have, how beefy the specs are....the phone will lag. Maybe not on day 1, but it will within a couple weeks or so. Dalvik Cache is dumb.

2. The camera on the 928 is not "blown out of the water" by the Note 2. If you just take one quick and easy step and change the white balance, the 928 does just fine. And in low light, let's not even compare that part since we know who gets blown out of the water there. Ditto for video.

3. Please take a look at my battery life thread and don't form battery life conclusions after just a few days. These batteries need several charge cycles for them to hit their peak battery life. It is also like this on Android phones. My 928 is sitting at 53% after being off the charger for 21 hours. And yes I've been using the phone.

This phone is excellent, and if it doesn't work for your business needs then just use what works. No sense in trying to fit a square peg into a circle. It's not that serious and shouldn't be a stressful situation. If Android works better then use Android, if iOS works better then use that, etc.
    Believe me. I am not stressed out about it at all. I have owned so many smartphones I can't even count. I love WP8, just wish they had some improvements to email and calendar. That is pretty much what I am saying. I switch between several different phones on a regular basis and will continue using WP8. I would love for Microsoft to make this OS what it could be and hope they put the manpower behind it to get it done. The biggest advantage for me with WP8 is the Bluetooth functionality in the car. I love being able to have text message read aloud and being able to respond without touching my phone. I also like that voice features work with the touch of a button while driving and are more accurate than IOS, Android or Blackberry. Those features alone will probably be why I keep the 928 and put up with some of the shortcomings of the OS.
    WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
    05-21-2013 01:43 PM
    Battery life should not be a concern, especially if you are coming from Android when everything can run when it wants to.
    That was true with older Android devices. The Note 2 actually lasts me up to two days with heavy use. So far the 928 can only make it through half the day with the same use. I also have the brightness on high on the Note 2 and on Auto with the 928. The Note 2 battery is bigger, but I owned the SGIII and that phone had excellent battery life for an Android device.
    05-21-2013 01:59 PM
    I work in IT every day. I am NOT a fanboy. I've used Android phones EXCLUSIVELY for the last 4+ years, until I got the 928 last week. A few points:

• My battery life on the 928 SUCKED until the 3rd full charge cycle - now it lasts and lasts and lasts!
    • If a 5-minute max screen timeout is a DEALBREAKER, then go to another OS. But if that is your dealbreaker for WP, maybe you are trying to justify a reason to yourself to NOT switch?
    • I also own my own sports photography studio (OhioValleyPhoto.com) and I can tell you it takes about 10 seconds to get rid of that yellow cast from the Xenon flash - again, if that's a deal breaker, maybe you are just trying to find reasons not to deal in the first place?

Of course, "To Each his own", "Your Mileage may vary", etc, etc, etc - but I can tell you that for what I use a smartphone for, this 928 is THE PHONE. I spent the first 48 hours TRYING to find a reason to take it back and wait for the Galaxy S4 release. The fact that I'm still here means that I may still occasionally whine or complain or the lack of an IR blaster but a detail that small is no deal-breaker for me when everything this phone DOES do, it does MAGNIFICENTLY.
    I am not trying to justify getting rid of WP8. I will keep it and want the OS to succeed. I know that the 5 minute standby will be fixed in a future update and that there must be a way to get this camera to sing. I am underwhelmed by the email and calendar apps within the OS, but those might improve over time and I can probably live with that. I am sure that the battery life will get better, but if I can't find a way to make the camera perform the way it should I won't be using this phone as much as the other ones I have. I am tired of Android and hate IOS so I am doing everything I can to make the 928 work.
    LeLee092 and Brad Miller2 like this.
    05-21-2013 02:05 PM

Can you share what camera setting you found to maximize the 928 ?
    05-21-2013 02:42 PM
    Well. Cancelled my newegg order for various reasons and will pick up my lumia tomorrow from Verizon for more money but hopefully better long term customer service. Just wanted to pass on that I had to call Verizon for an unrelated billing issue. When I told the CSR that I needed that issue resolved so I could get the new windows phone she said "Wow. This must be the day for windows phones. Everyone who has called me has been requesting one." Sounds positive for Windows.
    05-21-2013 04:24 PM
    indoors I have noted the following white balance ones, you should perhaps perform the same tests on your cameras to know how your cameras perform. This was no flash indoors, window light only, not a particularly bright room but not dark either. Actual wall color is somewhere between auto and daylight, picture color is closer to auto

05-21-2013 04:56 PM
    Can you share what camera setting you found to maximize the 928 ?
    Use the pro shot app/lens from store, go manual mode, and set WB to flash.
    05-21-2013 09:20 PM
    Use the pro shot app/lens from store, go manual mode, and set WB to flash.
    I have been able to take much better shots with the 928 but have had to change settings every time in order to do it. I paid for ProShot but still have to change settings before taking a picture to best my Note 2 camera. I can deal with it, but there are plenty of users that need to take quick shots and don't have time to adjust settings before every shot. Hopefully Nokia will make some fixes in a future update.
    05-26-2013 11:27 AM
    I have been able to take much better shots with the 928 but have had to change settings every time in order to do it. I paid for ProShot but still have to change settings before taking a picture to best my Note 2 camera. I can deal with it, but there are plenty of users that need to take quick shots and don't have time to adjust settings before every shot. Hopefully Nokia will make some fixes in a future update.
    I would have to agree that manual setting is NOT acceptable. On a different thread, you indicated that you just got a black model - are the photos the SAME?

Your photos seem "soft = not sharp" and yet my 928 and those posting in the gallery sticky area ARE very sharp?
    05-26-2013 11:42 AM
    Since I stopped using the flash the yellow hue seems to go away. I have been able to take pictures in low light without any problems.
    05-28-2013 04:01 PM
    I have been really digging this phone the last several days. Yeah, I think I wont be going back to andriod. I have to lol at "serious" business users that are tying to do "serious" business on their phones in this day and age. I'm a developer, not a business guy, but I have a laptop (win 8), nexus 7, and Samsung Note 10.1. If the task at hand requires more fire power than my phone can comfortably deliver, it's on with the hot spot and out with the proper device. Problem solved.
    As far as the camera, I have been quite happy (coming from a Razr Maxx) but then again I understand white balance and the relationship between iso, shutter, and aperture.
    05-28-2013 04:44 PM
    I would have to agree that manual setting is NOT acceptable. On a different thread, you indicated that you just got a black model - are the photos the SAME?

Your photos seem "soft = not sharp" and yet my 928 and those posting in the gallery sticky area ARE very sharp?
    Yes. I am on my fourth 928. 2 had the Windows button issue and the other kept rebooting incessantly. I finally have a black one that looks to be fine. I have been able to reproduce better pictures than I originally posted because I have started manually adjusting settings to improve them. The original pictures I took were just auto with no adjustments. I just don't think most users want to spend a lot of time fiddling with settings for every shot they take. I will admit that the camera is certainly better when you choose all of the correct settings manually. Taking pictures is not my most pressing need so having to change settings regularly is not going to bother me.
    05-29-2013 10:16 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD