Tethering On The 928?

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my 928 at an official Verizon store Friday and it will show up today. I have had the unlimited data plan for years and when purchasing this phone I asked about tethering.
The rep, who seemed very knowledgeable, confirmed that tethering would be an additional charge.
At first he offered the 2 GB tethering plan for $20 as previously stated in this thread, but i pushed him to find an unlimited tethering plan...
He found one and added it to my account for $30/mo.
When i get my new 928 tonight, I’ll confirm its set up as he stated. One thing i remember was that the rep said he couldn't see the unlimited tethering plan until he assigned the 928 to my account....

Thanks for the update ... I personally look forward to see what you verify - especially, a speedtest please with tethering. Our 928 arrives today, and "I have read" that Verizon has some sort of free app that shows your data usage .. does that "show" tethering use vs. the phone itself?

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I got my 928 up and running. I checked my account and I indeed have unlimited tethering for $30/ mo. I'll get some test in soon.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know if there's a way to post a picture with the mobile app. I resorted to posting a link the other day to my skydrive, but that meant I was linking to a picture that had already uploaded to skydrive (which meant I had passed through a wifi in the mean time), and that I had to move the picture from my camera roll folder to my public folder. Not a great workaround.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess this was a troll post

Shhhh...Don't use the word "troll"!!!!! Every time I use it, I get an email from a mod but, someone who has 1 post on this site and says something everyone else says different, take a guess... I didn't say it tho :)

Anyway, How about this??? As I am just wondering, As we know from the "hacking" days of WP7, Internet sharing on WP is a registry setting that they run a script and turn on/off remotely. We also know, we can change LTE based phones by just moving out our Sim from one to another.

Enable the feature, confirm it works on your 928, take your sim and put it in another phone, cancel the Internet Sharing on your line. Wait a day or 2, move SIM back to your 928 and use your internet sharing on your 928....with out paying for the feature : )

Just wonder how long it would take for them to disable it, or if they just send it out once to shut it off....

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
An unorthodox work-around, if you're willing to compromise: Is to purchase a tmobile 4g hotspot from Walmart. The upfront cost is 84.99--> then if you purchase a digital refill card (the 3.5g Data or 5g Data) from walmart the card is good for 60days, rather than 30days. I plan on doing this. Buying the hotspot, then buying the 35$ 3.5g data card. It works out to roughly 17.50 with no contract. Plus, I can cancel any time and not pay Verizon the rediculous $30dollar unlimited tether or $20 tether for 2 GB.

My average data use on my phone is between 7GB to 11GB per month. My tethering is roughly another 2GB. Maybe I'm doing the math wrong, but I feel as though I would be making out in the long run. /shrug. Tmobile data speeds are sketchy, but on good days I see people getting 5down 3up as compared to my 40down 17up on my phone's speedtest. Still, it's an alternative you can explore.

MSFTMatt

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
That is an interesting proposal to try. But if Verizon checks and recognizes that there is a new IMEI after the SIMOTA completes I would assume it sends that data remotely. What would be needed is a way to unlock unlock the '##' settings. I wish I were a dev so I understood this type of stuff. It would be cool if there was a developer fee to pay Nokia to get a stock flashed ROM that doesn't have all the VZW lockdown stuff. This problem is also persistent with the 822 and 8X when they are used on different carriers, locally and overseas. VZW controls the tethering via a feature you add to the plan and disable tue device to do it independently.

So when you take it to a different carrier, they don't have the authentication to unlock that portion of the programming down to the phone. Some people in EU and South America bought VZW 8X for the Qi wireless charging and have this issue. I smell a class action lawsuit as VZW is supposed to keep 4G open as part of their agreement with the FCC and DoJ for Block C of the 700mHz spectrum.

I also hate that MS bent to VZW's will and allowed ****ty backup assistant to be embedded in the device and unable to be removed. Backup assistant sucks. I have helped so many VZW friends restore their contacts after BUA has lost them, tripled them, or in my case 8* them. I wouldn't care if it actually worked. But it is like VZW's is the biggest corporate bully. They will bend over and let apple ram a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire and say, "Oh, and please don't use any lube!" But they force the world's worst app in a super clean and innovative OS and tarnish its integrity. idiots in power at VZW equipment control I think. Just like forcing smartphone data plans on the kin when it was targeted at teens and tweens.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
That is an interesting proposal to try. But if Verizon checks and recognizes that there is a new IMEI after the SIMOTA completes I would assume it sends that data remotely. What would be needed is a way to unlock unlock the '##' settings. I wish I were a dev so I understood this type of stuff. It would be cool if there was a developer fee to pay Nokia to get a stock flashed ROM that doesn't have all the VZW lockdown stuff. This problem is also persistent with the 822 and 8X when they are used on different carriers, locally and overseas. VZW controls the tethering via a feature you add to the plan and disable tue device to do it independently.

So when you take it to a different carrier, they don't have the authentication to unlock that portion of the programming down to the phone. Some people in EU and South America bought VZW 8X for the Qi wireless charging and have this issue. I smell a class action lawsuit as VZW is supposed to keep 4G open as part of their agreement with the FCC and DoJ for Block C of the 700mHz spectrum.

I also hate that MS bent to VZW's will and allowed ****ty backup assistant to be embedded in the device and unable to be removed. Backup assistant sucks. I have helped so many VZW friends restore their contacts after BUA has lost them, tripled them, or in my case 8* them. I wouldn't care if it actually worked. But it is like VZW's is the biggest corporate bully. They will bend over and let apple ram a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire and say, "Oh, and please don't use any lube!" But they force the world's worst app in a super clean and innovative OS and tarnish its integrity. idiots in power at VZW equipment control I think. Just like forcing smartphone data plans on the kin when it was targeted at teens and tweens.
You do have the option of not enabling backup assistant. Once I disabled I haven't heard from it since

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I just might add the 30 for unlimited tether I get a discount for added features so if no one can find a hack or work around to get it for free I might go this route if I want to tether

MrGreeves

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Here is an article I remember reading last year. I'm pretty sure it still applies but no one has made a 3rd party tethering app yet.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon