Hope I can test the look of the soft keys and such before buying in store :) Wish me luck finding a good one :)
    06-08-2013 04:42 PM
    Awesome! Be sure to tell us what you think of it.
    06-08-2013 05:00 PM
    Awesome man. I haven't seen them in person yet but I hope to soon.
    06-08-2013 05:01 PM
    Love the phone! But it does ha e the goopy start button :( problem is its hard to check for it in store because I don't think the lights will even work at all till the phone is completely set up the first time. Not sure what to do
    06-08-2013 08:11 PM
    Love the phone! But it does ha e the goopy start button :( problem is its hard to check for it in store because I don't think the lights will even work at all till the phone is completely set up the first time. Not sure what to do
    Hate to rain on your parade, but it sounds like you will end up in an exchange-a-thon. I am on 928 number 7 and if I remember correctly at least 5 of them had the gunk under the buttons.

The on I'm on now doesn't have it but the buttons are a yellow tint and kinda dull.

Good luck man, I hope you get a defect free phone. You deserve it.
    06-08-2013 08:53 PM
    Hate to rain on your parade, but it sounds like you will end up in an exchange-a-thon. I am on 928 number 7 and if I remember correctly at least 5 of them had the gunk under the buttons.

The on I'm on now doesn't have it but the buttons are a yellow tint and kinda dull.

Good luck man, I hope you get a defect free phone. You deserve it.

TThat's the way the lights look. There not a bright white. People going through 7, 8 phones is ridiculous!! I think it's because people are anal retentive more than phone being messed up.
    06-08-2013 09:00 PM
    TThat's the way the lights look. There not a bright white. People going through 7, 8 phones is ridiculous!! I think it's because people are anal retentive more than phone being messed up.
    Which is why I still have this one. I wasn't going to keep any with gunk behind the buttons, that is simply unacceptable.

And these buttons are more yellow than a couple other ones I had. This all definitely isn't the norm so please try to stop accusing people of being unreasonable.
    06-08-2013 09:13 PM
    To be honest it sounds a bit ridiculous and unrealistic to me too.
    06-08-2013 10:00 PM
    Trust me when I say the start button looks very crappy. And yes they are supposed to be pure white. Every smartphone I ha e owned including the HTC 8x they are pure white and very nice looking. These look dirty and very unevenly lit. Its a $500 phone why should we not be picky.

I may contact Nokia directly about a replacement. Someone got a reply on here that said they would personally check the phone before sending it out.

Other than my soft keys and a slight gap at the top right side between screen and body mines great so far
    06-08-2013 10:30 PM
    Awesome man! Mine is on its way!! Should be here on Monday
    06-09-2013 12:26 AM
    I'm glad that you are willing to excuse poor quality control and accept a subpar product, but why do you feel the need to insult those who actually would like to get a quality product for their hard earned money? I've been to 5 different stores and seen enough units in person to know that WiseGuy is not exaggerating or being overly "anal retentive" at all. It's poor QC on Nokia's part, pure and simple.
    06-09-2013 01:50 AM
    I've had two that have had yellow backlight and goop under the windows button...I'm actually gonna call VZW Monday to have them mail me a replacement for not only the key but also the vibrate which has gotten a little wonky again...the store here gets nasty after the one replacement in 14 days sadly...policy or not...just how they are in person :\

But congrats on getting a great phone, other then my two small quirks I love the phone, just wish the small quirks could get worked out...comparatively my vibrate isn't that bad, just a minor bother compared to my first one, lol
    06-09-2013 01:56 AM
    Some iPhone 5 owners are on their 10th or 15th unit. WP users tend not to be that picky, but nor should they accept blatantly sub-par quality.
    06-09-2013 05:59 AM
    I think pple are anal about it.. Yes it may be a qa issue. but not all phones are perfect. Some of the cosmetic issues, well you can live with it. I have two 710s. In one, the lighting in the keys are perfect. in the other there is some light bleed.. well.. my wife is using that and has not complained and might not even have noticed it. I being anal noticed it but didn't bother as it doesn't affect anything. The 928 is a 500 dollar phone yes.. it is not a 1000 dollar one. You will get more cosmetic issues with a 500,000 dollar car or home. You cannot as for replacement of the home :). You can ask them to fix the issue though.

If there is something wrong in the screen or speaker, then yes you should replace it.. if you are replacing 8 phones just for the keys, I think it is bad for the carrier and for the person building it, who is on the verge of going bankrupt just so that you can have a great phone. If it is bad and you replace it once or twice is ok.. 8 times means that is how the phone is made. you should not buy it if you cannot live with it.

Well this is my take.. I have bought around 7 lumias for me and my extended family. All of them are being happily used. Thank God not every one is anal :). I think I am the only one.. but I decided to not be one.

It is part of me being supportive to the brand who really needs our support.
    Winfonejunkie likes this.
    06-09-2013 06:17 AM
    Congrats on getting the new device. I hope the build quality issues don't stop you from using a WP.

Every company has build quality issues. When the HTC Touch Pro came out I went through 8 of them before an HTC CS rep personally went through his available inventory to get me one that was in good shape. I am not picky at all. I seldom return a device. OP get a device you are happy with nobody here wants you to blame WP8 OS or Nokia if you end up disliking your WP experience. If a person returns 8 phones to the store and gets replacements you better believe that they were bad. Verizon is not going to keep passing out phones to someone who is just being picky. Verizon will stop returning them after 3 for someone being overly critical.
    nufan947 likes this.
    06-09-2013 07:52 AM
    As I noted on another thread, this is part and parcel for stuff made in China. Their QA is abominable. This is why you will see threads like this on virtually any product made there. Most of the time the quality is good enough, but they'll have a shift, or two, where thousands of units are made poorly of whatever widget they are making. In the US, most manufacturers are more stringent on the QA process during the actual build process itself. That QA process requires more inspectors, more review from line operators and technicians, and constant tweaking of procedures by Manufacturing Engineers and Test Engineers to avoid escapes. In China, they tend to just get the product to the point where it passes testing at the end (i.e. it turns on and appears to work), and lack a lot of the process improvements and checks required to get the quality of product out most people expect.

Apple implements a lot more quality checks which is why they tend to have better quality, but even they are not immune. So the moral of this story is that you should exchange your product for any defect you can't live with, but you should be leery of expecting perfection. If I were the OP, and the lighting was bad enough to really be a pain, I would go to the store and have them exchange, but make sure that whatever phone they give me, is satisfactory before leaving the store. I suspect that the bad lighting was a shift or two's worth of work on the production line during the initial run. Likely means a large number of the first run of phones had this problem.
    Dave Blake likes this.
    06-09-2013 08:27 AM
    I guess what I am trying to say is lets don't confuse bad hardware with a bad WP experience. Get the hardware right before judging.
    06-09-2013 09:16 AM
    People aren't anal retentive just because they want a defect free phone. I am on my sixth 928 and have had all of these issues with the Windows button and even some broken power buttons. When I can't see it in the dark then it is a problem. If you look at all of the videos of the 920 the capacitive buttons are all bright white. No yellow or missing the white backing behind the button. Maybe it doesn't bother you but it is a defect and clearly a manufacturing issue.
    06-09-2013 12:28 PM
    I'm glad that you are willing to excuse poor quality control and accept a subpar product, but why do you feel the need to insult those who actually would like to get a quality product for their hard earned money? I've been to 5 different stores and seen enough units in person to know that WiseGuy is not exaggerating or being overly "anal retentive" at all. It's poor QC on Nokia's part, pure and simple.
    +1. Well said. He is wasting our time by demanding that we keep defective phones to protect Nokia and WP8. If you aren't experiencing these issues and want to be productive find another thread to comment on. This thread is for those experiencing issues to relate and compare so that actions might be taken to fix the problems.
    06-09-2013 12:35 PM
    Some iPhone 5 owners are on their 10th or 15th unit. WP users tend not to be that picky, but nor should they accept blatantly sub-par quality.
    My brother-in-law is on his 20th!.. eaassh lol and when he told me today I went "soo have much have you spent in time waiting in line as i swear your facial hair looks substantially longer than the last time i've seen you!".

It took him awhile to get that too!

But yeah it's a pity in certain respects as some people i know really dig the L928 but aren't arsed to import via ebay.
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 06-09-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: quote added forgot again bleh
    06-09-2013 07:33 PM
    I still haven't decided what to do. Like I said I don't think there is anyway to test the phone in store because it has to be setup completely. So of I just exchange it blindly it will be a waste of time. I really appreciate support I have gotten.

I have never seen the buttons look like this on ANY phone. That makes it a defect.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 06-09-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Be civil please
    06-09-2013 07:45 PM
    When I see comparisons of HTC vs Nokia, almost always, one of the things people say is the Nokia hardware is so much better. hahaha. Every phone has imperfections. For example, the colored earpiece on my 8X is slightly higher on one side and the other side is flush with the screen.

Anyhow, I'm sorry to see the 928 seeming to have a lot of build and quality issues. I might consider getting one, but with all these issues, I will wait. Hopefully, the problems were just the first batch and they get better because I want WP succeed!
    06-09-2013 08:07 PM
    Well, I am another frustrated 928 owner with the soft key blotch =/

I bought mine Saturday and noticed a few hours later. The Verizon sales folk looked at me like I was nuts when I told them to take it in back and turn off the lights to see it, haha (it took some convincing). A tech came out from the back room and showed me his, which also has the same issue (white model).

Do we know if it's both white and black models, or just white? Mine is white. Haven't decided if I'm going to return or not..............
    06-10-2013 07:49 PM