Official LUMIA 928 GDR2/Amber Update Thread

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. My most active live tiles are Bloomberg, Photos, MyStocks and Weather Channel. If I use my phone the live tiles are active. When I place the 928 on my wireless charging stand it will rotate through about 3 pictures with all the other live tiles flipping and then it freezes. If I select an app then the live tiles "wake up" but then go back to sleep. Not sure if glance is the culprit. I have turned glance off but still seems to happen.

It really seems to be a problem with any battery APP or Weather APP. All other apps seem to be properly updating their live tiles. So that makes me think that something changed in the way live tile updates are handled in GDR2 and these apps are being affected by it. I may do a hard reset next week to see if that fixes the problem.

Jboy42

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm on day 2 of experiencing almost no automatic live tile updates. Very frustrating seeing as this is probably the main reason for buying my 928. :-\

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
It really seems to be a problem with any battery APP or Weather APP. All other apps seem to be properly updating their live tiles. So that makes me think that something changed in the way live tile updates are handled in GDR2 and these apps are being affected by it. I may do a hard reset next week to see if that fixes the problem.
I did a hard reset, it never came out of rotating gears. I'm getting a replacement phone tomorrow.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: 2 "other" Storage sizes reported in seperate locations in phone?

Why did this get moved in here? I thought it was a very specific question about two "other" locations reporting two different sizes. May have gotten an answer if it remained its own thread...

Seriously? Mods, why did this get moved in here? It is not an official update topic of GDR2, it is a topic of why is there two "other" storage locations and WHY are they reporting different values? To me this is a topic for Windows 8 software. That is why I started it in that Forum. I simply am stating I am seeing it on my phone that is a 928. Other phone might be seeing the same issue?

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site

I got my replacement phone, works great but I don't get the GDR2 update. Why?

goldenholer

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 928 post-Amber HERE City Lens problem

Does anyone else having a problem with HERE City Lens? This has only just started after installing the Amber update.

When I open the app, it says something about my phone missing a motion sensor. I uninstalled the app and tried re-installing it. The store says my phone lacks a compass and doesn't let me download.

Anyone have any ideas?

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Has it already been updated? If you do an manual check for updates what happens??
Yes it got updated, but the Amber essentials I had to install separately.
I noticed that some apps are not compatible with GDR2, weather flow does not update its live tile and for some others MS issued compatibility warnings.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Since updating to GDR2/Amber, I think it has been four times that my phone will suddenly start acting like there are random taps on the screen, opening apps if on the home screen, tapping controls within the apps if the controls are in the right place... Turning phone off and rebooting resolves it. I'm thinking I'll try a hard reset, but not sure when I'll have time to do so right now.

Unless it's just that my house and work are haunted, and the update made the screen sensitive enough to feel the tap of a ghost's finger.... Then I'm sure a hard reset will not resolve the problem. :straight:

Ramesh Dimba

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
For those with WIFI issues, here is how I had to do to get it to work:

After restarting/rebooting the router it worked for 2.4G but as I connect on 5Ghz, It had problems maintaining the connection even after reboot, so I changed the 5G channel from 161 to 153 and it is now able to maintain connection without a glitch so far.

Also, I deleted the connection on the phone and reconnected them.
- Did not change the security settings on the router and they are still WPA2-PSK (AES)

Still an issue with OS as one should not have to reset the routers to make it work, imagine asking the corporates to reset their wifi just because a few of Nokia phones with GDR2 needs it!!
- Expect IT to co-operate with the few!! :-()

See thread here on on Microsoft Community:
GDR2 WIFI Issue - Microsoft Community

realjeep

May 10, 2013
Visit site
My phone has been doing this too. I randomly hear the charging alert as I'm getting ready in the morning after it has been on the charging plate all night and is still on the charging plate. The phone does not do that when I have it plugged in to keep charged when I'm at work during the day. The phone has an Incipio feather case, but that shouldn't cause this right? I'll try w/out the case and see if it makes a difference.

Interesting... I also got an incipio feather case right around the time this patch came down. I don't believe I tried it without the case, since it seemed to work fine with it on. Maybe worth a shot. I do know I tried with and without the glance screen on and it had no effect.

I also had some problems with wired USB charging. I switched back after the problems with the wireless charger. A few days later, it started giving me the "starting charge" sound every minute or so until I unplugged it (about 4 times). Battery was about 50%. I just let it sit uncharged all night and charged it in the morning with no issues. I wonder if there is some circuit that shuts off the battery recharge for some safety reason that is getting inadvertently triggered. Hmm.

I have since stopped trying to charge it at night. I took the wireless plate to work and use it when I get a few minutes at my desk, which is enough (so far) to keep the battery up. Hopefully this is a software thing that gets patched soon.

SYKOgirl85

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The 928's brightness was set to automatic and the brightness levels were going crazy. Mostly the screen was way too dark and it would randomly pulse to bright, but not in time with the intermittent light coming in through the windows. I had to set the brightness to low. This has never happened before. Anyone else have issues with automatic brightness levels in low light situations?

Yep. Had to do the same thing.

Also, multiple alarm notification and general sound issues with the update. Could this be related to xbox music?

Last edited:

Gallo991

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Anyone seeing the phone freezing and/or the touch screen just not responding every now and again post-GDR2\Amber? That never happened on my phone before the update and I haven't installed any new apps since then. The only way to get out from this state is to do the hold the power button and Volume Down button to reboot the phone. I can't reproduce the issue as it seems to happen randomly.

sdrexler11791

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone seeing the phone freezing and/or the touch screen just not responding every now and again post-GDR2\Amber? That never happened on my phone before the update and I haven't installed any new apps since then. The only way to get out from this state is to do the hold the power button and Volume Down button to reboot the phone. I can't reproduce the issue as it seems to happen randomly.

This happened to me after I installed the Regular Weather Channel APP after I had already installed the Nokia Version of the Weather Channel APP. Having both apps installed on the phone caused exactly this problem. I deleted them both, soft reset and then installed the Regular version and the problem went away.

Jason Villeda

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I've had a couple of problems since the Amber update as well.

The main issue is that the phone will lock up. When this happens, I can push the power button to lock and again to unlock, but I can't swipe up and the buttons on the bottom don't work. I can open the camera app from the lockscreen, but the phone is still unusable. This happens multiple days per week - last week I had to soft reset 8 times in one day.

The second problem is that the front camera's white balance is out of control. Everything comes out yellow and I look like a Simpsons character. The phone used to take great photos before the update. No setting changes seems to help with this.

The third problem is that sometimes the screen, esp when texting, will just get a delay or kind of move from side to side, as if trembling. This doesn't happen often.

The fourth is that the auto-brightness doesn't work right all the time. Especially in the dark.

Does anyone else have these problems? Has Nokia or Verizon acknowledged the freezing or camera issues?

freddyfromutah

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I just received a replacement phone from asurion, OS Verison 8.0.10211.204. It will not update to GDR2, my old lumia 928 (before I left it on the hood of the car) was updated. Any idea on why I am unable to update my phone?

driver1676

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I just received a replacement phone from asurion, OS Verison 8.0.10211.204. It will not update to GDR2, my old lumia 928 (before I left it on the hood of the car) was updated. Any idea on why I am unable to update my phone?

I also replaced my phone and it won't update. I'm hoping someone else can answer as you're not alone on this.

mbmullins76

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I got a new 928 this past weekend and it is still on 8.0.10211.204 and no updates are available when I check. In wonder if they are doing a phased roll out and new devices are at the back of the line or did Verizon pull the update for some reason?

freddyfromutah

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I got a new 928 this past weekend and it is still on 8.0.10211.204 and no updates are available when I check. In wonder if they are doing a phased roll out and new devices are at the back of the line or did Verizon pull the update for some reason?

SO glad it's not just me! I have gotten nowhere with Nokia or Verizon, just the same ol' song and dance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes