A new update for Windows 11's best Start menu alternative lets you pin your favorite websites

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I used Start 11 when Windows 11 first came out, because without the ability to create folders on Start, it was too painful to use. But it is (or at least was) very slow compared to the native Start and would crash sometimes. It also created some disjointed experiences. I do still love that it let you position icon tiles (not Live Tiles, which I do still miss) at different sizes and organized so you can get to every app with 1 click like in Windows 10, instead of needing to open the folder, then select the app. But once Windows 11 added folder support to Start, it wasn't worth the performance hit and occasional crashes to me to keep using Start 11.

To naddy69's comment that the Start is a waste of time: his comment implies that he doesn't run a large number of apps on his PC and assumes everyone knows their icons enough to do everything through the Taskbar (which is rarely true for more casual users). I have a 4k monitor running at only 125% scale factor, and even my Taskbar is filled with icons. That's still only a small fraction of the nearly 100 apps I use with some regularity. So I NEED to access the Start menu to get to the others. For anyone either with a lot of apps (like me) or who is not super comfortable with Windows (a lot of other users), Start is essential. It's both easier to find icons, because they can be grouped in folders (even better in Windows 10 when they could be grouped as tiles), and for people who don't use Windows enough to recognize everything by its icon, Start also shows the text name of every app.

And for those who say, "just type the first few letters in search and launch them that way":

1. That only works when you know the name. There are many apps for audio and video functions that I don't know by name, just by their function. These are in the respective folders, so I can find them easily when just looking through 8-10 related apps, but would never find scrolling through all apps or trying to remember their name.

2. Typing several characters is slower than click on start, click on app (or now, w/11, click on Start, click on folder, click on app).

The biggest problem with Windows 11 Start for me, worse than missing the ability to organize and size app icons for easy access (bigger icons for more popular apps, smaller for less used) is that the Jump List menu is broken/missing for any pinned apps. Ironically, it works for the apps you don't access very often in the All Apps list -- so the fast access to documents only works for the apps that are not fast-accessible by pinning them to Start.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria