New to 928.... A few questions

GarnerMjolnir

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
So I received my 928 last Tuesday and so far I am enjoying it. I have a couple of questions for all of you experienced users. First is what is the best way to move my music from iTunes to my 928.

Secondly when I hold the back button down it brings me to all of the stuff that is running in the background. Is there any way to get rid of it? Iam used to the iPhone, we could double tap the home button and delete the stuff running in the background.

For now I think that wraps up my questions, I may ask some more in the future. I appreciate any and all help.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The Windows Phone app for your computer should help you transfer your iTunes music.

For now you are stuck with the back button and running apps. One of the updates in the near future is supposed to have an improved way to close apps. I think it will be WP 8.1 if I'm not mistaken.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For now, when you hold the back button down and see all of the apps that are either running or tombstoned, select the app you want to remove from memory and when it comes up, either hit the back arrow until it goes out of the app, or double tap the back arrow to immediately exit the app.

An upcoming update is supposed to add an "X" in the corner of the app when in that view so you can just tap the "X" to close it. We may also end up seeing them bring the drag down gesture from Windows 8.x, but we'll see.

GarnerMjolnir

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to the new update, whenever that is suppose to show up. Another question, do you guys recommend shutting the phone down on a regular basis (once a week)?

Boards don't punch back.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My HTC Trophy never rebooted/shutdown or crashed in over a year of use on WP 7.5. My Nokia 822 booted once in 6 months. My 928 has never rebooted. So my answer would be probably unnecessary, although I understand the typical temptation to do it. Of course, there is no harm in doing so either. It starts back up pretty quick.

GarnerMjolnir

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I will try to resist the temptation to shut it down. So I asked earlier about moving my music from iTunes to my phone, seems fairly straightforward except the PC that my iTunes is on is currently running Vista. I don't think I can download the app that was suggested earlier. I did a search on the forum and didn't find much. Any info would be nice.

Boards don't punch back.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
For now, when you hold the back button down and see all of the apps that are either running or tombstoned, select the app you want to remove from memory and when it comes up, either hit the back arrow until it goes out of the app, or double tap the back arrow to immediately exit the app.

The first half is correct, the second is not. "Double tap" will only go back two steps, if you have gone more than two steps into an app, this won't exit the app. Of course if you are on the first or second screen, sure the app will exit, but it's not a catch all for every app.

john_blaze

May 24, 2013
Visit site
From my experience, you may want to reboot (power down/up) your phone after doing some heavy gaming. I noticed that the battery continues to drain at an accelerated rate even after I'm done. The first time I really took notice was a couple of weeks ago, the battery completely drained overnight from approximately 40-50% battery when I finished gaming to 0%. That freaked me out because I know how harmful that can be to the battery. Now, I've just made it a habit of rebooting the phone after long stints of gaming just to be on the safe side.

GarnerMjolnir

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. Any suggestions for getting my music on my phone? Looks like I may have to upgrade my laptop soon. Haha

Boards don't punch back.

papahood

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I plug my phone in with the usb on my pc and then drag and drop right into the phone, pretty straight forward. I don't use any program to do it. I can't remember right off hand but you may have to create a music folder on your phone...hope that helps

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree with john_blaze about rebooting, although I don't do much gaming. I restart every once in a while and whenever I've installed or uninstalled lots of apps. It seems like it clears some temp files and does help with the battery rate, as he says.

I help friends with their Windows PCs and most of the time a simple restart is all that's needed. Windows Phone and Windows 8 now share common OS elements, so it's possible it works the same.

The bottom line is it may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven