Screen Replacement? 928 and 822

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
So my wife did it again and I am looking for some advice. :shocked:
I now have two broken phones...
Previously she dropped her 822, it hit on a stone in the parking lot and cracked the glass but most likely took out the LCD as well as there is nothing on the screen.
Upgraded to a 928 and now today she dropped it while shopping. Cracking the glass pretty bad, but the touch and the screen still function.

What are my best options?
822- I assume I need both a glass, digitizer, and LCD screen replacement if I want to get that working.
928 - I assume I just need a glass replacement.
Confirmation and links to what I might need?

Lastly, she will probably just get a 929 when it comes out using my upgrade:unhappy:. I should probably be getting her a case and screen protector. Always have hated those, but she is terrible with phones. Might just try a screen protector as that may at least help if dropped on a rock (maybe not)?

TIA

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I think I have seen where the 928 has everything fused together (possibly due to AMOLED, but not sure) so it is a pricy (~$200) part to replace. If she has the knack for smashing them get her one of those beefy cases.

So my wife did it again and I am looking for some advice. :shocked:
I now have two broken phones...
Previously she dropped her 822, it hit on a stone in the parking lot and cracked the glass but most likely took out the LCD as well as there is nothing on the screen.
Upgraded to a 928 and now today she dropped it while shopping. Cracking the glass pretty bad, but the touch and the screen still function.

What are my best options?
822- I assume I need both a glass, digitizer, and LCD screen replacement if I want to get that working.
928 - I assume I just need a glass replacement.
Confirmation and links to what I might need?

Lastly, she will probably just get a 929 when it comes out using my upgrade:unhappy:. I should probably be getting her a case and screen protector. Always have hated those, but she is terrible with phones. Might just try a screen protector as that may at least help if dropped on a rock (maybe not)?

TIA

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
That is kind of what I was afraid of which is a bit disappointing.
Any ideas on the 822? If it turns on and off (feel vibrate when hold down power and volume down) but nothing shows up on screen, what do you think I could be looking at there?

Thanks

I think I have seen where the 928 has everything fused together (possibly due to AMOLED, but not sure) so it is a pricy (~$200) part to replace. If she has the knack for smashing them get her one of those beefy cases.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
The 822 screen replacement is very easy. I have heard the 928 is harder, but the replacement screens are close to $200

MikeInOhio

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the 928 screen replacement assembly is out of stock at the 2 major sources. I ordered one on the 31st but got a refund today with the following note:

Note from merchant
This item is sold out. Sorry for all the inconveneince.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have an 822 for sale in the Marketplace. It would be perfect to hold her over for the time being.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
My sister in law dropped her 928 today, broke the screen.

Best price i can find it is $200.

Not really sensible when the phone can be had in mint even new condition on ebay for $300

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
822 is insnely easy. Replaced mine for about 8 bucks and 40 minutes.

928 doesnt really make sense financially right now since you can get a new device for around 200/250 on craigslist now.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
For the 822? Plenty on eBay, but I got one of the cheap ones and it definitely was not OEM. The screen looked like crap. I don't know if any of the cheap ones look good, but I recently got a used OEM 822 screen and its much better, but more expensive.

JimmyHM

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Bought 822 screen/digitizer from ebay seller abc_gold_inc for 14.99 with free shipping. Fast delivery. Installed it but not working. Reconnected my old with broken glass unit and touch responds. Notified dealer and waiting for feedback. After checking other buyers feedback it does not look promising. Rip off probably.

21 Nov. update:
Ordered and installed another one from EZ Elektronix Corporation for 16.84 + tax . It works! The packaging of the good panel was much better than the bad one. The bad one had a stick-on notice on the protective plastic with the wording "Notice: Tested before installing" whatever that means. That makes me think the seller thinks that the digitizer may be defective. That was the only instruction in the box.

Will not bother returning defective digitizer since I had to remove it and seller probably will not take it back because it was "used".

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Bought 822 screen/digitizer from ebay seller abc_gold_inc for 14.99 with free shipping. Fast delivery. Installed it but not working. Reconnected my old with broken glass unit and touch responds. Notified dealer and waiting for feedback. After checking other buyers feedback it does not look promising. Rip off probably.

Go on "my ebay" find the item in your list, pull down the menu item, "resolve an issue" (I believe), Open a claim with ebay saying the item is not as listed/defective. Once you open a claim, the seller has 4 days to reply, if it he does not, ebay will issue you a refund.

If he is not replying to you, that is what I would do

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar