Is the Nokia Lumia 928 plagued by problems?

roache

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
got my l928 when it was released never had a problem. get around a day and a half battery life on average. i do have 2 complaints. 1st is not much in aftermarket for the 928 i wanted a otter or a case like it for when i am out in the great outdoors, i don't use a case or screen protector and no scratches. 2nd is not having software like zune for use with vista i do plan on a new laptop by summer but there should be something like the zune software for more than w7 or 8. also one game i like is unstable (armor valley) it crashes regularly, only problems i have found. no regrets here. i like what i've seen of the l929 wish it was 6 months earlier only other phone i would have been interested in on verizon.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Only problem I HAD was the compass stopped responding and I had to do a hard reset. Other than that, no problems.

Keep in mind, forums like these are where people come when they have a problem. The vast majority of people don't have problems, so nothing to report/speak of.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely - and if you saw the article yesterday that said WPC has reached the 3 million unique visitors per month milestone, and look at the number of complaints here, it isn't hard to come to the conclusion that the number of problems is miniscule compared to the number of people using WPC.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely - and if you saw the article yesterday that said WPC has reached the 3 million unique visitors per month milestone, and look at the number of complaints here, it isn't hard to come to the conclusion that the number of problems is miniscule compared to the number of people using WPC.

The number of people that own Lumia 928's in miniscule. And I know people with the 928 who don't come in the forum and also have freezing issues. Many people don't even know this forum exists. That being said, I hope Nokia is aware of this and actively working on fixing the root cause of all of this freezing! I had the same experience with 2 Lumia 920's plagued with different issues. My 3rd one was perfect.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
From what you listed here and as many comments say my phone freezes a few times in a month. and sometimes it just crashes (reboots) for no reason.
Reboots used to have often sometimes a few times in one day. So I installed app System View, it has feature that shows boot time (how long it has been on) I just wanted to see how often my phone turns off. I dont think it caused/changed anything but after installing that app the reboot rate dropped and it reboots only few times in a month. Last time happened last week when I was writing email (hotmail app). Yesterday I think the screen froze and I had to do soft reset..

Thats the only problem I have hope Update 3 and Black from Nokia will fix it.
You mentioned this screen frozen and have to do three-finger trick what is three finger trick?

infestedd

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
i think the complains always comes from the minority... but i do agree, that we have an minuscle number of ppl with 928 here (or anywhere, considering its an usa phone only)
Well, my experience: 1 month with an refurbished 928. So far, no locks, no freezes, no bugs, and i use it a LOT.

somerandomguy1

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 4th yes 4TH 928 and i've had problems with it.

First two phones has weird screen blotches that came up. Couldn't remove them with buffing or cleaning the screen. Got them swapped out.

Third one had the front speaker die so that I had to use the speaker phone

All of them had screen freezing problems which lead to me having to do soft resets to get back access to my phone. I think it's a CPU coding problem because sometimes I can swipe up but it only moves at 5 cm intervals so it takes like 15 swipes to unlock the phone fully and even then it isn't fully responsive. It feels like it's trying but doesn't have enough free memory or cpu to do anything.

Going to do ANOTHER hard reset on this phone and see if that fixes it for a bit.

I'm running on GRD3.

windows928

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had problems reading redlined Word documents and numbers in Excel actually get changed by the phone from what was supposed to be in the spreadsheet. Other major annoyance is inabillity to close apps or close music.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yep screen freezes randomly. Owned the phone just over a week, happened at least 10 times already. Only a soft reset fixes it. Also my flash now fails to fire, on auto and when set to "on". The auto focus assist also fails to turn on. Internet explorer has crashed at least 5 times in the last few days. Phone call volume through the handset is weak, voice over headphones is great though. Came from a Note 2 which had amazing call volume though, maybe I'm spoiled. I am waiting on a warranty replacement in the mail from Verizon. Hopefully it will not be the same experience.

Charlie Poels

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
i think the complains always comes from the minority... but i do agree, that we have an minuscle number of ppl with 928 here (or anywhere, considering its an usa phone only)
Well, my experience: 1 month with an refurbished 928. So far, no locks, no freezes, no bugs, and i use it a LOT.

Same here, refurbished phone and been using it very heavily for two months now.

@AV2RY: they probably mean the hard reset combination?
How to Hard Reset Nokia WPs (Three Finger Restart) : My Nokia Blog

IrishMcRock

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Does it work if you squeeze the upper right hand corner? I'll bet that it does. Even if it doesn't, I'll bet you have some give there.
The Nokia 928 has problems. Every phone does. This forum is full of us complaining, but that's because complainers go to the internet. I'd wager the vast majority of people have no issue.

But this speaker issue is somewhat serious. Clearly there's a usage flaw, since it's happened to me on every 928 I've had within 2 months. I'm really thinking it's something either with my front pocket being too tight, or it getting damaged when I put it in the pocket. But we're at the point that I'm costing the company a good amount of money with my constant replacements, even though I'm not dropping the phone and using it the same way I've used every phone all the way back to my StarTac.

I've had the speaker issue for a while now. I've tried squeezing the corner and all that, but it did no good. I saw the cause of the problem in another thread here. Turns out the issue (at least in my case) revolves around the headphone jack. I plug an adapter in to listen to podcasts off my phone all the time, and it looks like there is a switch that is supposed to trip when you put the headset in and out. Unfortunately it wears out, and seems to think you have the adapter in at all times. I was able to use a paper clip to flip the switch back, but it didn't last. It's incredibly annoying to have to use the speakerphone all the time, once I get my replacement I'll have to stop using it for podcasts most likely, just to be safe.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Ive had my 928, man, around 2 1/2 close to 3 weeks now. No issues so far. Everything is working ok. Hopefully all continues well. I would love to be one that never has any issues. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to chime in on this. I bought a "used" 928 around August from ebay. I took a chance as I have never bought one a phone sight unseen, especially from Ebay. Thankfully, other than the gunk under the windows button, my issues have been few and far between. I have had a couple of the screen freezes where I have to hard reset the phone. Overall I think the battery is quite good compared to other phones I have used, but my beef overall is with the WP8 system. I am hoping 8.1 resolves a lot of these issues and quirks I find, but time will tell.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I've lost track of how many times my phone has frozen on the lock screen. Many many times. I basically hard/soft reset the 928 almost twice a day!

My wife has the same problem. Also very very bad data/tile updates particularly via WiFi although it happens with the FB app and LTE too. I really like my phone but I'm looking forward to a new one...

Charlie Poels

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Only "problem" I have just noticed is the oleophobic coating is missing on the right side of the screen. roughly 5 mm from the side. Not a big deal since it can be fixed with crystalusion which worked great on my other phones.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually quite fed up with the 928. I love WP, bought the Trophy on day 1 when it hit Verizon, switched the 822 when available, then the 928. Never had issues with the Trophy nor the 822. I'm currently on my 4th 928, which I got yesterday, and already noticing a repeat issue:

928 #1 - rear speaker went bad, sounded terrible at volumes above 17/18.
928 #2 - head phone jack malfunctioned, phone thought headphones were plugged in, preventing me from hearing anyone on calls and playing music through external speaker
928 #3 - had for less than a month and the head phone jack problem started. Also, screen was registering phantom touches, often requiring me to lock it, and unlock it
928 #4 - got it last night. Already having severe phantom touches. Just holding the phone, fingers nowhere near the screen and it's haptic-feedbacking like crazy, going in and out of the multi-task screen, backing out of programs, opening voice commands....

I'm sick of this crap. I've had to purchase the same screen protector 4 times now, I keep having to backup my stuff, reconfigure the phone, lose all my game saves, etc. And now with #4, I'm already experiencing issues. I can't believe how bad my luck has been with this phone.

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 928 since the first weekend it was released. The only time I ever had problems with screen freezes is when I had the "double tap to wake up phone" selected. If people are having issues with screen freezes you should check this first to make sure it isn't selected. Other than this minor issue, I've had no problems with this phone at all.

Robbed01

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the 928 the last week of May 2013.

My problems to date:

928 #1 - Spurious lockout of screen touch, which prevented me from restarting. This is partly because I wasn't close to a PC where I could look up how to force a reboot without the screen pull down. This one also exhibited poor blue tooth sound, and issues documented above about headphones jack. I unfortunately broke this one while trying to force it to restart, which cost me $125 despite insurance. Thanks Nokia.

928 #2 - Constant issues with touch screen freeze, absolutely horrible bluetooth reception, phone reception with 4 or 5 bars showing, and head phone jack working intermittently. Progressively became worse on all of these.. Warranty replacement with refurb (guess where this is going).

928 #3 - Constant issues with touch screen freeze, but figured out that a reboot fixes. Head phone jack acts up after using bluetooth, bluetooth usage microphone is apparently fuzzy to people on the other end, even though my Jawbone Icon has worked awesome on every other phone I try it on. The Headphone issue started after the first time I used bluetooth, and then answered a call without using bluetooth. I went a month without using bluetooth because I though my Jawbone was having issues. I tested my Jawbone on another phone, and the person on the other end could hear fine. Next time I used it on my 928, I started having the headphone jack issue, which became progressively worse. Ordered warranty replacement that should arrive tomorrow.

What disturbs me the most is Marmot has had the same issues, and Verizon told me that NO ONE had logged any issues similar to my issues. Like I said, accidentally breaking the first one was the worst part, since the one arriving soon will be the 4th one in a row with the EXACT SAME ISSUES!

I suspect the headphone issue is a software issue, since I had an update a month ago that seemed to resolve it, and the latest update to the OS appears to have recreated the issue.

I will be pursuing Lemon Law reimbursement after the 4th phone has the same issue.

Robbed01

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I saw others talking about a paper clip, and squeezing the upper right corner (tried both, since not sure if from front or back). None of these worked with great precision, but during testing by calling voicemail it started to work after pulling it away from my head. I think the proximity sensors, the some ones that cause the screen freeze issue, is creating the issue. Once again, I suspect this is a software issue, and that other acts have allowed people to temporarily correct the issue. Unfortunately, I don't think what they are doing is what is fixing it, I think it happens because of how the touch the phone during these acts, which corrects the software issue.

It may actually be an issue of multiple causes, since the one guy said he flicked the switch with a paper clip. I started having the issue without ever using the headphone jack, so it isn't actually related to using the headphone jack. The only time I have used a headphone jack is when it will not work after several reboots, using headphones to try and reset the sensor.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
3rd 928 here. This will be the buggiest phone I have EVER owned. Lockups are common, browing the web will all of sudden the touch screen stops working, requiring hit off and back on, then swipe up. Very flaky phone. I still have Crap behind my Windows key.

Besides the storage, display and the camera, I would of stuck with the old HTC 8X I had, it had NONE of the problems that the 928 has. I thought it was a rock solid phone.

Yep, GDR3 and have done a hardreset the problems are still there.

If you were looking for a new phone, i would skip the 928 and go to the ICON....I am sure they got the bugs on this phone fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes