New owner not impressed with Lumia camera

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Here is something I did a while ago. You can see the grain and blur...but the bottom half is the screencap of the viewfinder as it looked at the time.

3 months (L) and 3 years (R)

:D

View attachment 49045

Also...I don't feel like the update to GDR3 and update to Nokia Camera (from Pro Cam) have helped...it seems a bit off lately, but hard to put my finger on why.

Those settings underlined in red mean WARNING you're gonna have a pretty crappy picture full of noise and
@ a 2 sec exposure ( rule of thumb is under 1/30 sec = camera movement/blur) you gonna have blur.
You might get away with 1/10 sec if you have a very steady hand -until that is you see the image full size, and you'll see blur
but the hard to put my finger on it ? it's staring right at you -if that's your example of the issue then you might want to spend some time
learning about photography and what happens when you're shooting in low light with high ISO -3200 and a super slow shutter speed.
That is not a post GDR3 issue that is operator "error". :smile:

Cute kids !

Last edited:

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The problem with auto is that it bumps the ISO all the way up to 1600 or 3200, and that's why your indoor pictures are looking bad. The second pic you took at ISO 200 is significantly better. For low-light indoor pictures like that, you should keep the iso to max 400 and manually set the white balance to incandescent or florescent. The big thing about indoor pictures on my 920 is that the white balance is almost always off. But anyway, your pictures look fine, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
No no no...for that shot, you see the amount of light available (there was a token nightlight on in the room at 4am), I was thrilled to get that result! Really shows off the stabilizing and light collecting abilities -- yes, some noise, some blur, but I couldn't have imagined taking that shot with my old Trophy. And while it's not a shot that is going to be a magazine cover, for a proud daddy it's just perfect ;)

I did not put an example of anything up otherwise, just been noticing that the auto setting seems to struggle lately indoors. Usually have to fiddle a bit (which takes away from just snapping a quick pic with the kiddos in action). Could just be my imagination, but it seems like it. Might try to look for some examples, but I'm also using a newer version of the OS than the firmware was made for, so I am waiting for the official GDR3/Black release to see what happens.

Those settings underlined in red mean WARNING you're gonna have a pretty crappy picture full of noise and
@ a 2 sec exposure ( rule of thumb is under 1/30 sec = camera movement/blur) you gonna have blur.
You might get away with 1/10 sec if you have a very steady hand -until that is you see the image full size, and you'll see blur
but the hard to put my finger on it ? it's staring right at you -if that's your example of the issue then you might want to spend some time
learning about photography and what happens when you're shooting in low light with high ISO -3200 and a super slow shutter speed.
That is not a post GDR3 issue that is operator "error". :smile:

Cute kids !

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 is "officially the official version" it's just not available for the general public, maybe Nokia's Lumia Black will remedy things...

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Use normal mode (I'm not sure what night mode does, maybe it's cranking up the ISO or something) and make sure ISO is low. Any phone can take a noisy picture of low-light, but the point of the OIS Pureview cameras is to let you take low-ISO long exposures without blur by stabilizing the lens. So keep ISO low, hold the camera steady, and you can get low-light shots that would be blurry at the same ISO/exposure settings on another phone, but which OIS makes possible.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
As every one says have the ISO less, and one more thing, when using the flash lets not have anything in the immediate vicinity when we want to have something farther as the subject, for example in your picture with ISO 200 and with flash, the bed spread and pillow reflect too much light and your subject which i believe is the doll is dulled out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon