Is verizon selling refurbed 928's as new?

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Checked my box and noticed it has 3 stickers on top of each other. Pulled the top off and found a different imei number under the sticker. This is suppose to be a new phone. Got it replaced at the store and they said all the phones are suppose to be new. Check your boxes people and see how many new phones have 2 or 3 stickers on top of each other. This may be the reason we are getting so many bad phones. Nokia is check right now to find out if this is refurbished being sold as new.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Nokia says Verizon sold me a refurbed as new. Verizon says they do not fix their own phones, but when I said Nokia doesn't have the imei in their database then the story was yes we do flash the firmware and imei to make sure it works on the network. The upper right corner of the new phone is not flush. Very good indication someone did not put it back together right. I was told to take it back and have them replace it and have them pull the entire stock, set it front of me and allow me to inspect them before taking another from the store. I was informed they maybe able to flash at my store and that if a customer returns one that could be what they have done. That is a big no no. So as I see it Verizon is sell used phones they think have no problems or they think they repaired, just don't like being caught at it. the FCC does have regulations regarding this conduct. Probably why she told me to return it to the store so quick. The crappy jack is a very big issue and I informed Verizon that if they can't get the issue fixed by nokia then you need to tell customers not to use the jack or remove it all together, but I was pretty sure the failure rate far exceeds normal and I can prove it. So our friends saying they have replaced their 928 9 or 10 times is more than likely the truth. One week and it failed. Now I am going to put the headset in and out all day tomorrow til it fails again. Go get a new one at the store and do it again, and again. Maybe then we can get Verizon to push nokia to replace the faulty jack with a better mfg. Sad part is the store rep knows me and said just wait it will do it again.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Nokia says Verizon sold me a refurbed as new. Verizon says they do not fix their own phones, but when I said Nokia doesn't have the imei in their database then the story was yes we do flash the firmware and imei to make sure it works on the network. The upper right corner of the new phone is not flush. Very good indication someone did not put it back together right. I was told to take it back and have them replace it and have them pull the entire stock, set it front of me and allow me to inspect them before taking another from the store. I was informed they maybe able to flash at my store and that if a customer returns one that could be what they have done. That is a big no no. So as I see it Verizon is sell used phones they think have no problems or they think they repaired, just don't like being caught at it. the FCC does have regulations regarding this conduct. Probably why she told me to return it to the store so quick. The crappy jack is a very big issue and I informed Verizon that if they can't get the issue fixed by nokia then you need to tell customers not to use the jack or remove it all together, but I was pretty sure the failure rate far exceeds normal and I can prove it. So our friends saying they have replaced their 928 9 or 10 times is more than likely the truth. One week and it failed. Now I am going to put the headset in and out all day tomorrow til it fails again. Go get a new one at the store and do it again, and again. Maybe then we can get Verizon to push nokia to replace the faulty jack with a better mfg. Sad part is the store rep knows me and said just wait it will do it again.

Maybe one of the Verizon employees that posts here can speak to this? Sounds pretty shady to me.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
So far this phone is just doing the pinch to zoom issue. It disables the touch panel. Soft reset fixes it. Nokia is working with me via twitter trying to understand what is causing it. GDR2 does it and so does GDR3. It happens in the email app for live and the browser. I had to explain the browser is not the only thing that zooming in causes this. So the switch to a different browser would not cure the fact it's doing it in the windows live email app that I can't just change that. It's part of the OS. Now they are looking at the OS as the issue. Which is what I thought was the issue to begin with. As far as the audio jack goes I am going to just use an iPod 5th Gen as my music player in the truck. So I won't need to use the crappy jack on my 928. I love the phone and am going to keep it!

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is saying Nokia just doesn't want to deal with it. Funny thing is I went off on Nokia care on twitter and yesterday I got 3 different display + touch updates. Now my phone seems more stable and I haven't been able to replicate the issue yet. Got me thinking about the fact Nokia made a mistake of tweeting the display's touch is outside of Microsoft's OS. That means if you can make a call on bt while the touch ability has failed, then our touch screen is an app and able to be stopped just like any other app we download.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This has a very simple answer. no Verizon does not sell refurbished versions of ANYTHING as new. It is illegal and the penalties are not a slap on the wrist. If you have proof a Verizon store did sell a return as new bring it to the attention of VZW corporate and the appropriate legal authorities. Verizon does ship refurbished units as warranty replacements but local stores don't even stock those - they come directly from the company and do not come from the retail channel. BTW, using this as a rationale for why "there are so many bad phones" is using one assumption to confirm a myth. There are no more bad 928 units than any other model from any other manufacturer. Even if you chose to ignore the fact that forums artificially inflate the appearance of problems in devices, there just aren't that many complaints. Sorry, but that is simply a myth.....

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Just so you understand the issue. Nokia was saying that the phone's imei was not in their database. They said Verizon must be reflashing the imei and giving me a device that had been returned. Which Verizon did admit they can and do flash imei numbers, but that is only suppose to be done because it needs to be in verizons database. So the left hand is not tell the right hand that they changed the imei on a device so Nokia is not aware of that change. Can't have 2 of the same imei numbers matching. It has really got me upset that the issue seems as though to be with software like the touch panel being run outside the operating system that can fail causing this issue. Then they just refuse to say hey that can happen if the right conditions are met. Instead they used the imei as a means to blow me off and direct my attention at Verizon. Needless to say the jack issue is an easy fix. If u turn on any of the audio enhancements like Dolby when using a headset your speaker will quit working and those settings will stay. If you put the headset back in and turn those enhancements off the speaker will work again. Funny how Nokia did not know this was an issue. That's one issue resolved easily. Now the touch panel issue seems to have been fixed by the 3 updates to it that were forced to my device by a very helpful tech at Nokia. Didn't know they had the ability to push software and reload it remotely, but they can. Now that I know this the software to reload my device is on my PC should it crash and I need to fix it when the phone won't let me reset. Boils down to all 4 devices could have been fixed had the right person just said hey let me send some stuff to your phone and see if it works. Trust me crapple is just as bad if you use a phone like I do. I have locked a few iPhones to the point even the so called geniuses could reload them. I got a lot to learn with wp8! My phone has been rock solid since last night and I have tried to duplicate the issue like Nokia asked and it just ain't messing up! Now I am happy as you know what!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes