Lumia Black Update and Bluetooth LE

mdtiki

May 23, 2013
Visit site
So apparently the Black update includes support for Bluetooth LE.
Just wondering what this really means?
I don't see any support in the Windows Phone 8 SDK.
Will it be part of the 8.1 SDK?
Is Nokia able to support BLE right now in an app they target at a phone with the Black update?
Do they provide an SDK you can use to get to BLE functionality?

I could be wrong but it seems odd to trumpet this as a feature if it is only partially there...

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The functionality is now available to developers. some fitness and wearable companies will bring over apps. until then it's vaporware shorta.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth LE is supposed to use a lot less power and still work at the same range as standard Bluetooth. Bluetooth LE or BT 4.0 cannot be used with older hardware however, so unless you have two devices that can utilize BT4.0 it is kind of vaporware.

mdtiki

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I have several Bluetooth LE devices and can currently communicate with them from Windows 8.1 (as well as Android and iOS).
I suppose I was looking forward to the Black update since it promised BLE support but I guess unless I know the secret Nokia handshake it won't do me any good until perhaps Windows Phone 8.1 comes out.
Anyone know if Nokia has some sort of private (or at least unknown to me) sdk with BLE support? People have implied this is the case.
Anyone know if Windows Phone 8.1 will have the needed BLE support?

Guess if nothing else I'm just trying to confirm my own attempts to research this subject.

mdtiki

May 23, 2013
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes