Nokia Lumia 930: User Reviews

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have my L930 in green for a week now.

It's got the purple tint and the flickering when reception is low. Also, slightly pressing the back cover makes small creaking noises in some places. Everything else about the hardware seems fine.

The camera is absolutely fun to use, especially when you get to know the best manual settings for different conditions, but taking a snap shot in Auto mode also gives you good results in most situations. Living Images are doubling the fun and Storyteller is a neat feature, too.

On the software side, there's only one thing to comlpain: Opening the Action+Notifications centre sometimes doesn't work on the edges of the display, sometimes the middle is the trickiest postion to start swiping (normal touch sensitivity). But I think this will be improved with the fix for the display.

Bob Henry

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
My wife's orange 930 came in yesterday. Absolutely beautiful phone.
And the continued guaranteed support from Nokia makes me glad I chose it over the one M8. No issues to report so far, just a well crafted, beautiful device!
Considering getting one for myself when the prices come down. My ativ s doesn't run so well anymore, and I'm pretty sure it's firmware related.
I'm converted. Nokia ftw.

Bob Henry

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Ha! And today is announced that she will get further firmware updates that allow passive listening for Cortana. So glad I didn't get the HTC!

kavin238

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Just got the 930. Damn I'm in love :love:

Coming from an HTC 8S this is a different world. So far the screen is amazing, speed unbelievable and I didn't mention the camera :)

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The real review
My previous Lumia was the 1020. A great phone. The camera was quite simply epic, as everyone knows. The camera on the L930 is not comparable in my opinion. It is definitely possible to make good shots, but especially in low light conditions, I get a lot more noise introduced (for reasons much better explained by other members of this forum). Of course I did not expect to have the same picture quality as the 1020, but still ... it leaves me a little disappointed.

I've seen a lor of amazing low light conditions pictures, even better than my Lumia 920.

Chaert

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I want to share my experiences with the 930 here.

I've been owning this phone for more than a month now and I love Windows Phone, but the device dissapointed me.

I've got the following problems.

- Purple screen tint, can be fixed by INSTALLING the latest Display app.
- Red screen glow, this happens at higher brightness levels and only when it's dark. Can be fixed by REMOVING the Display app. There's a topic around here for that.
- Screen flickers when the device is using 2G connection.
- Camera app starts by itself, without starting the app or touching the camera button.

Apart from these issues I have to say that Windows Phone is a great OS in my opinion, I've owned a Galaxy S1,S2 and S3 before this phone and having the 930 shows how much resources Android (especially with the bloatware Touchwizz skin) needs compared to WP8.1.

I'm thinking of returning the 930 though as the screen is not up to my expectations, and for a 450 euro's phone, I find that very hard to ignore. The screen is one of the most important parts of a smartphone.

Do you guys think getting a different 930 will fix these problems? I can hardly believe every 930 suffers from these problems.

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Got this phone earlier this week, coming from Android. Here goes.

DESIGN:

Design is beautiful, the aluminum adds such a premium feel. The phone isn't really that fat, and while hefty, it is not heavy. Instead, the heft adds to the premium feel. The taper on the screen's edges are very nice and the polycarbonate back is pleasant to touch. Overall, it is a "wow!" type design for me.

DISPLAY:

The display is simply superb. It's bright enough and the Clearback technology does a good job in sunlight. Automatic mode tends to overcompensate for brightness but that's normally the case. Overall, the display is really sharp and it works well with the Live Tiles approach. Simply put: I could just look at this screen for fun.

PERFORMANCE:

I realise that the Snapdragon 800 is no longer the latest and greatest from Qualcomm and that 2GB of RAM is equal to most flagships. This is my first Windows Phone so maybe I'm not super qualified to judge. However, the phone has been so so slick. No stutter, and more importantly no lag. It performs whatever I tell it to in a flash. I'm really pleased. The phone can heat up a little bit in the lower half under intense use (usually gaming), but I must stress that at NO point has it become uncomfortable or concerning in any way. Performance = happiness.

BATTERY LIFE:

I had serious doubts about the battery life given some of the things that have been written about poor battery life from the 930. For me, I have no such fears. With constant texting, 20 or so photos a day, some browsing and maybe 15 minutes of games a day along with a whole bunch of other apps being used (with the screen on) I'm getting around 18-21 hours of battery life quite easily without any babying; auto brightness, always connected to mobile data or wifi, apps downloading, photos taken, listening to as much music as I like, double tap to wake ON and no battery saver. Overall I can unplug this phone in the morning and go to bed with the battery still comfortably ticking along, and that's while on holiday. Obviously when I get back to college the phone will just sit in my pockets during lectures (mostly ;) ).

I suppose battery life is poor RELATIVE to some other phones, since the GALAXY S5 and HTC M8 often touted as "two-day phones". However, practically speaking I can do whatever I want for the whole day and have no fears, which suits me fine.

Also, as a note, the phone does really well in not consuming any power while idle; very little power is just "sucked away". The camera seems to be the heaviest culprit on juice.

CAMERA:

"Wow, that's clear!" is a response I get often while showing friends my photos. The camera takes beautiful images. Low-light photography is not amazing but it is decent, and shot to shot times are just about fast enough. The camera tends to get white balance a bit wrong on overcast days but I'm very very pleased overall. The true magic for me is being able to reframe without losing detail, which I enjoy (and use) quite often. Overall, big thumbs up for me on the camera. Video recording is good too. The visuals aren't necessarily better than those you'd get from other flagships, but the sound quality is really good, very clear and natural. Happy.

WINDOWS PHONE 8.1:

The OS is great. It's slick, easy to use and uncomplicated without much bloat. I don't really have much to say here except that I'm happy.

APPS:

Android remains ahead of Windows Phone when it comes to app availability. However, all the apps I really want (or alternatives) are accounted for and work fine, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything really. Games are lacking compared to Android, but in terms of general apps I'm satisfied, and it can only get better. One minor gripe I have is the search function. I find that the store, when I search for an app by name, doesn't necessarily put that app at the top of the results list, which Google Play does. This often results in a bit more digging than I'd like, but I trust this will be corrected.

SUMMARY:

My Lumia 930 does everything I want and more. There may be other phones that are "better" by some or other standard, but this phone makes my heart sing and I think that that's important; you have to ENJOY having your phone around. In the end, if I could go back, I would pick this phone all over again. I am happy.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
just got mine two days ago and... absolutly love it. what a machine. it's just gorgeous, fantastic screen great photos nice battery life... i'm in love!!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
just unboxed my 930, Switzerland, Orange. no earbuds, oh! still taking advantage of the restore-of-everything from my 920 backup.
How happy are you with your 930 coming from an 920? What is your opinion of the battery life on the 930 vs your 920. Very interested to hear as I currently own an 920 and looking to get a 930. I'm really hoping the 930 has better battery life as I'd like to make better daily use of Cortana. The 920 isn't too bad but any real use definetly dramatically shortens the running time.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Neatly reviewed!
What about the chronic problem of dust entering the slots in between screen and body panel leading to dust accumulation and blockage of front camera in 920? Is it solved in design in 930? It is an irritant in 920.
I believe later 920's fixed this issue as mine never had an issue with this but I know many others who bought one before me did

Mintydog1701

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, my first time posting here :)
I've been to see the 930 in the shop, I like it, I'm not sure which is best, green or orange, but I might still go for black. I'm on O2 and I think the only colours they have is black and green anyway, so I'll be limited in choice.
I was originally thinking that the screen is a bit too big for me, but I'm sure I'd get used to it after a short while, did anything else feel like this before buying it?

I was quite surprised by how sharp the front facing camera looked, despite it being only 1.0MP (or is it 1.2?), it's still far better than my current 0.3MP camera.

Last edited:

Mintydog1701

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Well I got the phone today, still setting it u, so far it's great :)
Though the 3 buttons on the side are of varying heights, I guess the power wont accidentally press against anything in my pocket, though I never had that problem anyway.
One problem I am having through is sharing pictures and videos to memy TV using bluetooth. When on bluetooth it can see the TV and even pair with it but when I open a picture and go to share the TV is no longer in the list, does anyone know what is happening?

One other thing, I wanted to share my experience in the shop. I read a lot on forums from Americans that their carriers are dumping all over Windows Phone and their reps told not to sell it and the less said about Verizon the better, but I'm from the UK and I got mine from O2, the rep never once questioned it or tried to steer me to any other phone, he just answered my questions and off he went to get the phone from the back, thats generally how it works with them any time I've bought a phone with them. Gutted to hear about the crap you go through in the US to get a WP.

Oh, and I got the free wireless charger in the box! Even the rep didn't know it was there until he opened the box. Nice little bonus

Last edited:

koller16

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking to get a L930 factory unlock, currently I have a L920 from at&t. My concern is about the updates, commonly I wait for the carrier to release the update, but in the case of this phone that comes factory unlock, I just have to wait for Nokia (now Microsoft) for the updates or how it works?

Thanks in advance!

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking to get a L930 factory unlock, currently I have a L920 from at&t. My concern is about the updates, commonly I wait for the carrier to release the update, but in the case of this phone that comes factory unlock, I just have to wait for Nokia (now Microsoft) for the updates or how it works?

Thanks in advance!
yup pretty much you get the updates right when Microsoft deems it ready . country variants of the 930 have gotten 8.1 update 1 over the air already and hopefully it continues so we can get denim just as fast

Laion

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I got my 930. So far so good. No bleeding in the screen or any other problems. Charging with my laptop is very slow, like couple of % per hour, while using it. Much faster with my L820. Normal charging fast. Battery drains really fast but I hope it will improve after couple of charges. Two years ago when I bought my L820, the salesperson didn't consider WP a decent phone, but now they see it as one of the many good options we have. Only thing I miss from my L820 is the SD-card.

Jackarl

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm one week into my 930, and coming from iOS that I've been using for 6 years I couldn't be happier with the switch. The phone itself is pretty much perfect for me. Great size for my hands, not too large or too small. Camera is excellent if you know what you're doing with the manual settings etc. Even though the camera isn't the most important feature in a phone, it's really nice that the possibility is there to take good photos.

Battery life could always be better, but it's good enough for 1 day with medium/ heavy usage for me. The display is great, except for the refresh rate which is obvious when scrolling white text on dark background. SD-card support would be a nice feature for many too, even if I don't need it myself. Other than that I'm really liking this device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon