The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-03-2014 06:07 PM
66 123
tools
    Which device would you recommend me if I want a mobile phone with 5' screen, 20MP camera and absolutely must has WP in it? Is there any other option in market right now that has these criteria? If not then thank you :3 You go and buy another phone and I'll buy this 930 cause it suites me pretty well. Everyone has their own opinion, you prefer better hardwares with cheaper price or whatever, we prefer other options while there isn't anymore left to choose.

Time to stop giving out advice when nobody ask for it. Feel free to do it if someone ask a spec wise comparison between S5 and 930.
    You give your opinion too, so you must be interested in this thread, right?

Nobody disputes that the Lumia 930 is a nice device. However as you mention, the only reason to buy it is if you want Windows Phone and nothing else. That's great. But I don't think that will make the Lumia 930 a success.

That's actually my point, I have nothing against the Lumia 930, it's awesome. Still, it's too expensive to make an impact on marketshare.
    07-03-2014 09:42 AM
    * All the sources list the specs of the S5 with 16Gb of storage. So how much more is the 32Gb model, which is standard for the Lumia 930?
    A 16 GB SD card costs under 20 Swiss Francs.
    07-03-2014 09:43 AM
    You give your opinion too, so you must be interested in this thread, right?

Nobody disputes that the Lumia 930 is a nice device. However as you mention, the only reason to buy it is if you want Windows Phone and nothing else. That's great. But I don't think that will make the Lumia 930 a success.

That's actually my point, I have nothing against the Lumia 930, it's awesome. Still, it's too expensive to make an impact on marketshare.
    I don't care if it's a success or not :v Really, Microsoft or Nokia or whoever, die or not, gain marketshare or lost it... is their own job :3 My only concern is that I can get the phone I want with my desired criteria and that it. I buy the phone and use it.

What's the point with worrying so much about a company? Even if Microsoft or Nokia's doomed to hell, my phone still can make calls, send sms and play with what apps/games I have on my phone.

In the end, it's just a phone :| and I can change a phone whenever I want without worrying how to "talk" to their companies.
    Chregu likes this.
    07-03-2014 09:51 AM
    I don't care if it's a success or not :v Really, Microsoft or Nokia or whoever, die or not, gain marketshare or lost it... is their own job :3 My only concern is that I can get the phone I want with my desired criteria and that it. I buy the phone and use it.

What's the point with worrying so much about a company? Even if Microsoft or Nokia's doomed to hell, my phone still can make calls, send sms and play with what apps/games I have on my phone.

In the end, it's just a phone :| and I can change a phone whenever I want without worrying how to "talk" to their companies.
    You are actually a better person than I am.

I always preach that people shouldn't get attached to a company emotionally, and here I am writing post after post about my frustration on how Microsoft doesn't manage to gain marketshare and how they make weird decision after weird decision.

Well, at least it only troubles me as long as I'm on tech sites, it doesn't affect my everyday life yet ;-)
    Dratwister likes this.
    07-03-2014 09:53 AM
    I would agree if the price points were lower. Why pay similar to an S5 for inferior hardware irrespective of the OS. You seem to be very happy paying for inferior hardware when in fact the manufacturer and OS company can easily up the specs, keep the price the same and we get improved performance above and beyond what we have now. Look at the specs carefully, processor, thickness, weight, battery, hardware features. Are you telling me your happy to pay similar price for inferior hardware?

I understand the point of the OS working differently and having different requirements, im not comparing OS im comparing the actual hardware, something you cant seem to understand. Maybe you sleep with your windows phone next to your pillow, sorry but I don't care who makes the hardware as long as it does what I want it to do and I feel that in a 24 month contract it will stand the test of time. Yes the 930 will do what I want it to do, but MS are competing with Samsung and iPhone with this device...they simply cant. Perhaps the Mclaren(or whatever the name will be) can at which point I will happily trade up from 1020....930 though? no way, I wouldn't even upgrade to it from my other 920.
    You seem to be somone who understands the technical jargon of specs...the average consumer doesn't. Is the average person going to be able to see with their eye the difference in graphics speed, or shutter speed between the 800 and 801..heck, even those of us who work in the tech realm is hard pressed to see a distinctive difference. The 920 has a lower graphical display and pixelization density then a lot newer phones but the pure view and clear black the average person would'nt know if its 1080p or 720p. The PS4 is 1080p but can you tell the difference from the Xbox One which the display depends on the game (i.e. Battlefield 4 920p)...probably not. Specs are used to show distinciton merely from a numeric or metric standpoint, which often is enough to get somone to obligate to a certain device. An actually physical comparison would result in a different outcome. The 1020 though with its 41 megapixels, how it gets that differs from say the S4 Zoom, which some will argue provides a more genuine albiet lower megapixel count. It depends on what you want and what you see, not so much what you read.
    There's nothing stating the 930 will be more than the S5 without contract. Samsung like the iPhone has always seemed like a brittle phone build. You need to get a phone case to proctect your phone not because you want one. How many cracked screens have you seen from Lumia owners. Specs only tell part of the story. The heart monitor is a cool feature, but the fingerprint scanner/authenticator seemed buggy when the iPhone introduced it, and I never really cared too much for it. All in all it's up to the individual. I always combine the specs with an actualy user experience to ultimately determine my choice. That's what I did with the 1520 and ultimately saw it as a viable replacement for my 920.
    07-03-2014 10:12 AM
    Come on... Unless you want to run BF4 On your phone (which I would find very interesting) a WP device does not need some incredible specs to give you a great experience. Everything depends on optimalization.
    07-03-2014 10:13 AM
    Come on... Unless you want to run BF4 On your phone (which I would find very interesting) a WP device does not need some incredible specs to give you a great experience. Everything depends on optimalization.
    LOL..I agree about BF4 being on a phone...but that's exactly my point. A specs comparison is overrated when you're talking about technology that advances all the time.
    07-03-2014 10:22 AM
    There is no point for this comparison. Lumia can be a great hardware but has limited software/apps and other task integration. S5 can be an inferior hardware (just saying for the sake of argument), but android apps are far better than WP apps. It's makes more sense to compare 2 different hardwares running the exact same software/OS.

Right now, eventhough my HTC One X is dated compared to my Lumia 1520, my HTC One X is still superior in terms of what it can do. Most WP apps are buggy.

dscf0187_jpg.jpg
    Great deal likes this.
    07-03-2014 10:36 AM
    So... the S5 is more powerful in hardware wise compare to 930. And then?

Which device would you recommend me if I want a mobile phone with 5' screen, 20MP camera and absolutely must has WP in it? Is there any other option in market right now that has these criteria? If not then thank you :3 You go and buy another phone and I'll buy this 930 cause it suites me pretty well. Everyone has their own opinion, you prefer better hardwares with cheaper price or whatever, we prefer other options while there isn't anymore left to choose.

Time to stop giving out advice when nobody ask for it. Feel free to do it if someone ask a spec wise comparison between S5 and 930.

P.S: you should change your thread's title to "Lumia 930 v Samsung S5 hardware/spec wise only" if you want your thread to be ignored completely :)
    What advice have I offered? We are all free to do what we want, if you choose to buy a 930 then great. If you don't, also great. Stay with WP, got to iOS no one cares except you. Its a good phone im sure, myself? well im going to wait for MS to release the Mclaren.

P.S: you shouldn't make assumptions, you know what they say about people that make assumptions right :P
    07-03-2014 11:25 AM
    There is no point for this comparison. Lumia can be a great hardware but has limited software/apps and other task integration. S5 can be an inferior hardware (just saying for the sake of argument), but android apps are far better than WP apps. It's makes more sense to compare 2 different hardwares running the exact same software/OS.

Right now, eventhough my HTC One X is dated compared to my Lumia 1520, my HTC One X is still superior in terms of what it can do. Most WP apps are buggy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0187_JPG.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	70898
    What makes you think your HTC One X is superior, and what apps are you stating as being buggy? It's the fluidity and smoothness of the WP8.1 OS that attracts most people to it. Looking at your phone, it doesn't seem to be running WP8.1. Have you attempted to upload the update or can you?
    07-03-2014 11:54 AM
    What advice have I offered? We are all free to do what we want, if you choose to buy a 930 then great. If you don't, also great. Stay with WP, got to iOS no one cares except you. Its a good phone im sure, myself? well im going to wait for MS to release the Mclaren.

P.S: you shouldn't make assumptions, you know what they say about people that make assumptions right :P
    You also know what you'd get in this WP forum and this specific L930 box with your thread, right? And yet you kept doing it :3 can I ask why?
    07-03-2014 12:15 PM
    You also know what you'd get in this WP forum and this specific L930 box with your thread, right? And yet you kept doing it :3 can I ask why?
    Nope, no idea what your on about, please enlighten.
    07-03-2014 01:07 PM
    What makes you think your HTC One X is superior, and what apps are you stating as being buggy? It's the fluidity and smoothness of the WP8.1 OS that attracts most people to it. Looking at your phone, it doesn't seem to be running WP8.1. Have you attempted to upload the update or can you?
    You know, it doesn't matter if the OS is fluid. Mobile phones rely on apps to be usable. If the apps are broken, high end hardware is useless. There is no 8.1 yet for 1520 except for the developer preview which I don't want to install. I will wait for the official release.

I use my mobile phone a lot to connect remotely to my personal cloud (QNAP TS-220 NAS) where my files are stored. I don't use commercial cloud storage (OneDrive, GDrive, etc.) a lot.

Here's my NAS:

imag3692-u0025255b1600x1200-u0025255d.jpg

My NAS is accessible via internet but WP lacks the apps/utility to connect me remotely to my NAS. The HTC One X does it flawlessly. There's 2 apps available (QFile & ShareFolder Explorer) on WinStore but very unstable.

You can't upload an image to any forums unless you are using Tapatalk. All web browsers are unstable including IE. Even the basic app, Facebook, can't even upload a video unless you go to the video album and do it from there.

I can go on and on. But yeah, let's see if 8.1 can do anything. But as I said, 8.1 will only fix internal issues within the hardware. It has nothing to do with unstable, broken apps or apps that doesn't exist at all. MS needs to focus their attention in developing QUALITY APPS that matter. You can't drive an expensive Jaguar with a flat tire.

Last edited by badr0b0t; 07-03-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    desitunez likes this.
    07-03-2014 01:41 PM
    Either you like android or you prefer windows phone. Seems apples and oranges. Specs don't mean as much if you don't even like an os or Samsung either. Nothing is prefect, but a smidgeon more power doesn't cut it to the other side when my icon does what I need. I realize its human nature in tech to want the latest and fastest and greatest , but the next thing is always right around the corner, then where are you at? If I need a phone to last at least two years I wouldn't pick any Samsung device.
    Great deal likes this.
    07-03-2014 04:45 PM
    Just because it has better specs doesn't mean the OS works any better and takes advantage of the specs.

Android will always be malware infested and laggy which drags down the specs of the S5.
    07-03-2014 05:44 PM
    3 basic thoughts:

-The OP, who likes and enjoys MS products, has a concern that the flagship WP 8.1 device will look a little pale compared to Android specs, resulting in loss of sales to tech hogs when WP can not afford those losses. I think it is a great point.

-Many posters feel that because of WP's requirements, it is not an Apples-Apples argument as WP 8.1 needs less to do as much or even more then top end Androids. Agreed, though until that is common knowledge, you will STILL not get the tech hogs to buy your product, which WP can not afford.

-This leads to the arguing back and forth among WP users about spec sheets. This kills me. There is no reason to argue with fellow WP owners about WP specs, only Android users.

I think this thread has run it's course. Too bad, as I find this conversation fascinating and vital. Just wish we could keep it calmer.
    Great deal likes this.
    07-03-2014 06:07 PM
66 123