New phone, new OS

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Just thought for those out there in a similar situation to myself, moving from Android to Windows Phone, might appreciate a few comments on the new Lumia 930.

I'll be updating things as I go, as I obviously can't try everything in one day.

I'm open to questions from people wondering about this and that on the 930, whether they are moving from a different OS or not, and if I've missed something you're interested in that you can't find elsewhere, just give me a shout.

Anyway, here's what I have found so far

The Device

Physically, I find it to be a very pleasant device to hold and get the feel of. The ultra smooth, slightly curved at the edges screen just begs to be tapped and swiped. The aluminium uni-body gives the device some welcome heft and weight - one thing I have noticed with a few Android devices is they can sometimes feel toy like and almost 'too' light, but that's a personal preference.

The polycarbonate backing is really nice. Not quite as grippy as I assumed it was, but certainly less of a slip fest that my friends HTC One M8 I held recently. I got my handset in Bright Orange, and make no mistake, it is bright! If you can get yourself an orange highlighter pen, that will not be far off. I'm trying to get a photo sorted, but it always seems to dark (a shame as my HTC One X camera is not really up to snuff, whereas if I could take pics of my Lumia with my Lumia, I'm sure I'd get there - But I'll keep trying!)

Some people have mentioned sharp edges. I wouldn't say sharp, but they're certainly there and noticeable in the hand. Not uncomfortable per say, just noticeable.

The Hardware

Ok, so everyone knows it's a Snapdragon 800 quad core at 2.2GHz and 2Gb RAM with 32Gb internal memory with NO SD slot.

Let's go with storage first - out of the box you have about 25.5Gb to play with. Personally, that's plenty for me. I know some people need/want more storage and that's fine, but for me 32Gb is absolutely fine and therefore the 930 fulfills my needs.

The processor and RAM - I realise some people have said that the 800 is already old news. Technically, I guess you are right, there's the 801 and 805 kicking around and soon to be even more. Thing is though, it's all kinda relative. It appears to me, although being a noob to WP, that it is a very well optimised OS. Very smooth, slick and intuitive so far and I don't think that bunging in anything faster would really make a huge amount of difference to anything but price.

I will be honest, I have NOT tried any games yet to test that performance, but I will be in the coming days and I'll report back again.

The Screen

Ok so, I've thankfully not had any of that 'purple' nonsense. Black appears black on my screen, until I go for full brightness when it goes a very very dark grey. On Auto, Mid or Low it blends seamlessly with the black surround, which I really like.

It's super sensitive, and not just in the technology named sense, it is just really sensitive! It responds to the slightest touch, which is really nice but also a double edged sword. Stray too close to those capacative touch buttons at the base and things go awry - but in all honesty that is purely user error.

The 441ppi screen is pretty lush, really nice to look at. Colours are produced nicely and blacks are nice and deep and whites are nice and crisp. Though it's one of these things that are very open to interpretation by the viewer - but personally I like it a lot.

The Camera

The camera. Now, I may get booed off stage for this.

I will admit, I was intimidated.

OPTIONS. Coming out of my ears they were. In a blind panic I'm moving this and that here and there. Atrocious photo. What the hell?

You must understand, my HTC ONE X has pretty much been used a disposable shooter for 2 years, and my previous phone before that.

Then I see the tutorials in the menu. They are excellent. Crisis avoided, no longer scared of the camera button. I'll see what I can conjure up picture wise on different settings and get them on here to show what a few changed options do. Once I get the hang of it!

A Few Notes

Just a few things to note, I think mainly as an Android user, but I'm typing these as they come to me so please be patient...

I like the OS, the layout, the slickness and the almost business like clarity of information, however, I can also see how this might turn people off. It's almost too clean and cut back and crisp. Succinct is probably the best term I suppose, it tells you just about what you need to know, and without delving into something a little deeper (ie the next menu), that's all you get. Not a complaint, just something I've noticed.

On the flip side, early Android was almost like reading binary, but it has since become dummy proof with its menus BUT I do find that Android sometimes tries to cram in allthinfoinoneplaceasmuchaspossible. Which isn't always great you know, sometimes too much is precisely that.

I like Live Tiles, they're a neat little visual widget effectively (as you all know) that update. Nice. My only complaint (maybe too strong of a word) is that you currently can't seem to have a tile that goes 3 across - or have I completely missed something?!

The People tile for example could use that little bit more real estate imo, but maybe that's just me?

I'm planning to go through the standard apps (must admit I've already deleted some - Bye Bye Vine! hahahaha) and most likely find a few to download the weekend, so I'll update things as I go.

I'll also keep tabs on battery life and day to day usage generally and see how things go.

That's all my brain is giving me right now. It's ridiculously warm in the UK right now and I think my brain is boiling.

Please feel free to offer me advice, ask questions or just tell me to shut up :excited:

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I have made exactly the same jump. HTC one x to 930. Admittedly I do have a surface so was pretty used to w8 but loving it so far.

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have made exactly the same jump. HTC one x to 930. Admittedly I do have a surface so was pretty used to w8 but loving it so far.

Nice! I found my HTC was just starting to get slow and annoying. To the point where I threatened to snap it in half a few times.

New 930 is excellent thankfully!

PabsTheGeek

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Love the write up, and glad to hear someone else agrees about the weight of phones! As a current iOS user I know I'll love live tiles.. Now after reading this I want tomorrow to come soo much quicker so I can pick up my 930!

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The funny thing about phone weights and thickness is that almost everyone puts a damn case on it and completely negates the thinness/lightness argument lol. Because its too damn light it feels like it'll break once it falls, so theres a case to protect it. And then the cases makes the phone much much thicker so there goes the 'thin' argument lol.

Everyones saying the Orange is highter bright, I think ill go for green for that reason. Doesn't seem as imposing that way, and likely a little easier on the eyes

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The funny thing about phone weights and thickness is that almost everyone puts a damn case on it and completely negates the thinness/lightness argument lol. Because its too damn light it feels like it'll break once it falls, so theres a case to protect it. And then the cases makes the phone much much thicker so there goes the 'thin' argument lol.

Everyones saying the Orange is highter bright, I think ill go for green for that reason. Doesn't seem as imposing that way, and likely a little easier on the eyes

Yeah, I mean regarding the weight of a phone, some people will prefer some heft, some will prefer a lighter device. Then as you say, a lot of people use a cover anyway so that all changes. Personally I'm keeping my Lumia nice and naked - it's just too good looking to wrap up with a cover!

And yes, the orange is really bright, so green may be a better way to go! Personally I'm loving the dayglo orange look lol

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have to say as someone using the 930 for a few days it is too heavy and thick..the one thing the iphone and even the S5 and One M8 do better is get the weight right.

It's a phone it shouldn't be heavy! I guarantee Apple will make a stunning 4.7"-5" device yet make it slimmer and lighter than the 930 and yet still be made of premium materials.

It's my only major complaint about this device apart from the purple hue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have to say as someone using the 930 for a few days it is too heavy and thick..the one thing the iphone and even the S5 and One M8 do better is get the weight right.

It's a phone it shouldn't be heavy! I guarantee Apple will make a stunning 4.7"-5" device yet make it slimmer and lighter than the 930 and yet still be made of premium materials.

It's my only major complaint about this device apart from the purple hue.

As I have stated above though, the weight of a device like a mobile phone is a very personal preference. I personally can't stand a feather light device, it makes me feel like I'm going to break it all the time.

I like the physicality the 930 has.

But that's just my opinion 😉

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Fair enough, IMO weight should only be in certain appliances like fridges and audio products as you can be sure of the build materials and also don't need to hold it in your hand.

In my opinion a smartphone should never be thick or heavy.

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Fair enough, IMO weight should only be in certain appliances like fridges and audio products as you can be sure of the build materials and also don't need to hold it in your hand.

In my opinion a smartphone should never be thick or heavy.

Fair enough!

Ok so, battery life...

I started at 100% this morning and since then I've used the phone for the following:

Roughly 2 hrs worth of Bluetooth to stream audio in my car volume on phone set to max.

About 4.5 hrs of listening through headphones at about half volume.

Posting a few things on here

Checking and posting to Facebook

General faffing about on the phone (screen checking every 10 mins etc)

Read a few emails and I think that was about it.

Got home and battery is at 50%.

It remains to be seen if this improves or not, but that's a fairly average work day for me, so having 50% in reserve is pretty handy.

I'll test it more the weekend when playing with apps more and doing some streaming/downloading etc etc.

PabsTheGeek

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
love nokia and lumia series and also wp but i am not considering to switch to wp because app store..

That's how I felt last year regarding Windows Phone, but today I made the switch from iOS and I'm enjoying the experience. There are a few issues with apps (like no profile support with Netflix!!) but I'm sure that this will come, I do use it much on the phone anyway.

BUDDYFUNLOVE

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I use both IOS and Windows. Only 2 apps I really tend to miss. Mapmywalk (they have mapmyrun but pales in comparison) and hangout (I was an android guy for a long time). Found substitutes and a work around for those, but beyond that I have all the apps I used to have. Admittedly, I am not a heavy app user. My windows phone (icon) is my daily driver.

*Running 8.1 Developer Preview*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2