Raised screen is now causing my proximity sensor to malfunction :(

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
At first I was okay with the raised screen because it didn't cause any functional issues... F me I think I jinxed it! So now when I receive a notification the screen will not light up by itself, but when I press down on the screen the screen suddenly lights up. This proves that the raised screen is the culprit.

Now I'm really pissed off because I don't want to send my 930 to Nokia just to receive a 930 with more problems. I have read so many horror stories on this forum of people waiting weeks for their phone only to find out it is no better then the last one!

Aaargh I don't know what to do!

Has anyone sent their 930 to Nokia and did they COMPLETELY fix the issue?? I need to be 100% sure they will completely fix it before I send it away...

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
That's not the proximity sensor, that's probably a loose/busted connection between screen and cable that you are "fixing" when pushing down.

Proximity sensor problems would manifest as the screen never coming on while on a call (thinks it is close to a face) or not shutting off properly during a call (not detecting the face).

Place a call and then wave your hand slowly across the upper end of the device, the screen should blank on and off appropriately.

Not that the info helps. :/ Good luck.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I didn't even bother to mention this because I don't want to write a whole book full of all my issues but yes the screen WILL NOT turn of when I'm calling.
Thanks for the info I guess, I really don't care what the problem is exactly, all I know is it sucks and I'm very dissapointed in Nokiasoft because they used to make quality products. :(

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I should have mine back from Nokia tomorrow. Went in cause the whole right side of the screen popped out the frame! Only a month old.

I'll let you know what its like when I get it back, but you will need to send it off.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I should have mine back from Nokia tomorrow. Went in cause the whole right side of the screen popped out the frame! Only a month old.

I'll let you know what its like when I get it back, but you will need to send it off.

Thanks, I'm eagerly waiting to hear how your device turned out!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Ash. Yeah, hard for them to say they are built special when they use the same components as everyone else now, in the same sort of factories, going for the same design styles...

I would gladly have the Icon/930 be a bit thicker (maybe in the center, as it currently is) and just a little shorter, not as wide, etc.

I had a couple of Nextel phones back in the early/mid 2000's, I don't believe they were worldwide, but if Nokia were tanks these things were entire tank divisions rolled into each one. :D Think my favorite was the i700 plus. That could be dropped 20-30' and survive. Came with rubber bumpers integrated into it. Also doubled as a heavy blunt force self defense object. Wheelchock. Boat anchor. Whatever you needed. ;)

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
At first I was okay with the raised screen because it didn't cause any functional issues... F me I think I jinxed it! So now when I receive a notification the screen will not light up by itself, but when I press down on the screen the screen suddenly lights up. This proves that the raised screen is the culprit.

Now I'm really pissed off because I don't want to send my 930 to Nokia just to receive a 930 with more problems. I have read so many horror stories on this forum of people waiting weeks for their phone only to find out it is no better then the last one!

Has anyone sent their 930 to Nokia and did they COMPLETELY fix the issue?? I need to be 100% sure they will completely fix it before I send it away...

So, you are complain about a faulty device? Is this the first time you buy a defective product? Software can fail, hardware either. Send to Nokia Care. Non sense topic.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
So, you are complain about a faulty device? Is this the first time you buy a defective product? Software can fail, hardware either. Send to Nokia Care. Non sense topic.

It's nonsensical for me to discuss my problems and ask for advice on an online forum? Thanks for your help.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'm eagerly waiting to hear how your device turned out!

Some good and bad news I'm afraid.

Nokia found no fault and returned my Lumia 930 back un-repaired, and with a dent in the frame of the phone. After a lengthy call they are going to replace the phone...

... With a 1520! So I'm happy 😊

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Wow. Good for you I guess, thanks for confirming that sending my device to Nokia would probably have been a waste of time.

Sorry it's not good news. Even after I confirmed the fault with the repair team twice, they still found nothing wrong. But yep, you risk wasting your time and possibly receiving it back with additional damage.

I'm looking at my phone now and wondering how they could overlook a defect like this.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

It IS the PROX sensor causing your issues - it works on a fix'd distance to screen.
What caused your raised screen ? a defect or phone dropped - heat will cause the separation.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
It IS the PROX sensor causing your issues - it works on a fix'd distance to screen.
What caused your raised screen ? a defect or phone dropped - heat will cause the separation.

It may have been out of the box, but otherwise it was definitely caused by heat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon