Nokia Camera Settings

scalpetti

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I was playing with the settings in the nokia camera app, and if I change the settings for ISO and shutter speed the setting for brightness becomes inactive, and it changes the value automatically (something like auto-mode), and the photos look really bad, as the value usually goes at -3.

As I remember, this wasn't happening the other days in which I played with the settings.

I have reinstalled the app, did a soft reset and the problem still persists. Does anyone has any idea what is happening?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The brightness setting is also called Exposure Value. It's a quick setting that controls the relationship between the camera shutter speed and another factor (usually the aperture, but since aperture is fixed for the current Lumias it controls the ISO sensitivity). This means that for a certain EV, increasing the shutter speed will increase ISO sensitivity (higher sensitivity to compensate for the shutter speed so as not to make the photo too dark). The same is true when you change the ISO sensitivty, EV will control the shutter speed depending on the EV set.

Basically this means that if you make the EV high, expect near-over-exposed photos. And if you set the EV low, expect near-under-exposed photos (if not completely over- or under-exposed). This makes it useful for creating "artistic" shots by exposure manipulation.

scalpetti

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
The brightness setting is also called Exposure Value. It's a quick setting that controls the relationship between the camera shutter speed and another factor (usually the aperture, but since aperture is fixed for the current Lumias it controls the ISO sensitivity). This means that for a certain EV, increasing the shutter speed will increase ISO sensitivity (higher sensitivity to compensate for the shutter speed so as not to make the photo too dark). The same is true when you change the ISO sensitivty, EV will control the shutter speed depending on the EV set.

Basically this means that if you make the EV high, expect near-over-exposed photos. And if you set the EV low, expect near-under-exposed photos (if not completely over- or under-exposed). This makes it useful for creating "artistic" shots by exposure manipulation.

Thank you for your response. I understand all that your are saying, but my issue is that the brightness setting in the Nokia Camera app it is not active. All other settings (white balance, focus, iso, shutter speed) are active and can change them, but the brightness setting is inactive, therefor I can't change it

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your response. I understand all that your are saying, but my issue is that the brightness setting in the Nokia Camera app it is not active. All other settings (white balance, focus, iso, shutter speed) are active and can change them, but the brightness setting is inactive, therefor I can't change it

Oh, so it's totally not adjustable? Please post a screenshot here, and the phone that you are using. :smile:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I see the problem now. Back to the definition posted earlier, the EV controls both the ISO and Shutter Speed. This means that the EV, ISO and Shutter Speed are all directly affecting each other, which also means that you can only manually adjust at most two out of these three at any given moment.

For example:
1. Leave the EV at 0. Try manually setting a certain ISO value and move the shutter speed - you should see the EV moving on its own.
2. Leave ISO at auto. Try manually setting the shutter speed to a certain value then adjust the EV - you should see the ISO automatically assign a value on its own (without the slider moving).
3. Leave shutter speed at auto. Try manually setting the ISO value to any value then adjust the EV - you should see the shutter speed automatically get a value (again, without the slider moving).
4. Leaving both ISO and Shutter Speed at Auto and then manually adjusting the EV will not display values for ISO and Shutter Speed*, but adjusting the EV gives the user an idea on how bright or dark the photo will be once the shot is taken.

You can't manually adjust all three at the same time.

* - though you may look them up later at the EXIF data of the photo after taking it.

scalpetti

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I see the problem now. Back to the definition posted earlier, the EV controls both the ISO and Shutter Speed. This means that the EV, ISO and Shutter Speed are all directly affecting each other, which also means that you can only manually adjust at most two out of these three at any given moment.

For example:
1. Leave the EV at 0. Try manually setting a certain ISO value and move the shutter speed - you should see the EV moving on its own.
2. Leave ISO at auto. Try manually setting the shutter speed to a certain value then adjust the EV - you should see the ISO automatically assign a value on its own (without the slider moving).
3. Leave shutter speed at auto. Try manually setting the ISO value to any value then adjust the EV - you should see the shutter speed automatically get a value (again, without the slider moving).
4. Leaving both ISO and Shutter Speed at Auto and then manually adjusting the EV will not display values for ISO and Shutter Speed*, but adjusting the EV gives the user an idea on how bright or dark the photo will be once the shot is taken.

You can't manually adjust all three at the same time.

* - though you may look them up later at the EXIF data of the photo after taking it.

Well, thank you good sir! :grin:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why people want to take good pictures with manual values without understand nothing about photography.

There's a lot of material on internet, google it. It's photography, not Nokia Camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon