My new 930, the battery

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I bought a Lumia 930 yesterday, and it is great. That aluminum frame looks great :smile:
It seems that after transition to Microsoft, no Lumia device is sold with warranty in Iran, so I just have 48 hours to test the phone (and 24 hours is passed now)

My main concern is battery now. Today I noticed that the percentage quickly dropped to ~90% after 30 minutes or so, however after that, discharge speed lowered, and it lasted 12 hours. I did some web browsing, a few minutes of gaming, and usual stuff. (+honeymoon effect of new phone)

So, Is that fast percentage drop an important thing? Maybe the battery isn't just calibrated yet? or it might be defective?
Also, is the battery life I experienced normal for this device?

And last, when I turn on the device, after NOKIA logo, I see Windows logo, then it disappears and then appears again, and then phone boots. I remember that in my old (and now died) 620 I was seeing Windows logo just once, not twice. Is it normal?

Thank you :wink:

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I get two Windows logos on mine.

Battery life isn't great, but about right for the class of phone IMHO. I put mine on charge every night and it lasts till then.

Also it will depend on what apps you have running in the background so check the Battery Saver to turn off those you don't need.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.

What about fast percentage drop from 100 to 90%? Should I be worried about it?

No not really. Seems to do that then levels out. I'm getting insane battery on denim. But I did do a factory reset right after updating and I never restore from a back up.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As much as I hate to suggest it, the battery could stabilize after a couple days.

12 hours doesn't seem too bad, it was probably dented by your fun.
The double Windows logo is weird for me, I haven't seen it before, but I don't have enough data to know if its bad or anything. Sounds like a quirk.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about battery life dropping rapidly, especially during the first days of use.

It takes a couple of charge-discharge cycles to calibrate the battery.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't get good battery life. I've reset it and everything. If I'm at home, and on Wifi with bluetooth OFF, I get good battery life. If I'm 3G my battery life takes a HUGE hit. The other day I was out of the house for no more than 6 hours. I used my phone for 25 minute bus ride to the city center, 25 min back, and I took 9 pictures total and around 5-10 more minutes of screen on time. That's IT. And I had dropped from 100% -> 40%.... I'm quite disappointed with the battery life. I just got a Nokia Lumia 1520 off of eBay, wish me luck. I know it's a huge device, but I can't stand the thought if actually killing my device in a work day without using it extensively. Supposedly the 1520 has fantastic battery life.

I'd say your 30 min drop is normal. I am at 93% right now after an hour and a half off the charger with literally 1-2 minutes of usage.

But yes, the battery drops quickly the first 10-15% but then levels out. It's quite strange TBH.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Actually it's not the battery that gets "calibrated", it's the charging circuit in the phone.

:)
Fred

I wouldn't worry about battery life dropping rapidly, especially during the first days of use.

It takes a couple of charge-discharge cycles to calibrate the battery.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The 2 logos at start up seem to be normal for some reason on this phone. The 930 battery does drop quickly then levels out. Not a beast but easily makes it thru the day. Have been using mine a little over a week and the battery life has improved. You didn't say if it came with denim. If it didn't and you updated after you got the phone, I really suggest a hard reset.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
The 930 battery does drop quickly then levels out. Not a beast but easily makes it thru the day. Have been using mine a little over a week and the battery life has improved.

Today was my second day with my 930. After ~10 hours I had 20% battery left. Seems 3G is using so much battery. (I turn data on just when I need)

You didn't say if it came with denim. If it didn't and you updated after you got the phone, I really suggest a hard reset.

It came with Cyan and I updated it to Denim as soon as I got the phone :)

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Today was my second day with my 930. After ~10 hours I had 20% battery left. Seems 3G is using so much battery. (I turn data on just when I need)

It came with Cyan and I updated it to Denim as soon as I got the phone :)

The hard reset after update to denim really helps. The battery on this phone is adequate but not a "long distance runner" by any means. It suits me fine but I am not a heavy user.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you update to Denim. I have location services disabled too. I get two full days with moderate use on WiFi/G3, sometimes even 2,5. Also let the phone run out of battery totally the first 2-3 charge cycles. I'm happy with my 930.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I should clarify...I have "hey Cortana" enabled as this is so useful for me that I don't mind the battery hit. I'm sure the battery life would be better if I didn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon