Round 3 of Seeing if I can get along with Locked Storage

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 got sold because I thought it was absolutely idiotic to have something emphasize the camera and lack external storage.

My Icon got sold because all the power made me want to do everything and the 25GB allowed me to do nothing.

With mostly FLAC audio, tons of games that eat 1-2GB a piece and a tendency to constantly shoot pictures/video at their highest quality, my digital footprint is not small. I fared a bit better with the 1520, but that was in a weird place where it was entirely to large to be my phone, yet too small to appreciate as a tablet.

Now that we can stream music from OneDrive, I'm giving it another shot. The 930 is already a lot less of a hassle on AT&T US, Lumia Camera 5 is magnificent... and this phone seems to stay a lot cooler than my Icon did. I went through a couple Lumia icons and just creating a thread like this would have my phone so hot I'd fear it was about to shut down.

How's everyone else coping with the fact we don't get to pop in an SD card?

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 got sold because I thought it was absolutely idiotic to have something emphasize the camera and lack external storage.

My Icon got sold because all the power made me want to do everything and the 25GB allowed me to do nothing.

With mostly FLAC audio, tons of games that eat 1-2GB a piece and a tendency to constantly shoot pictures/video at their highest quality, my digital footprint is not small. I fared a bit better with the 1520, but that was in a weird place where it was entirely to large to be my phone, yet too small to appreciate as a tablet.

Now that we can stream music from OneDrive, I'm giving it another shot. The 930 is already a lot less of a hassle on AT&T US, Lumia Camera 5 is magnificent... and this phone seems to stay a lot cooler than my Icon did. I went through a couple Lumia icons and just creating a thread like this would have my phone so hot I'd fear it was about to shut down.

How's everyone else coping with the fact we don't get to pop in an SD card?

It is crippling.The 1520 is better in terms of storage compared to the 930 and 1020.Atleast you can pop in an sd card.But the 930 and 1020 are good for users who just listen to some music,post some selfies and play some light games

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It is crippling.The 1520 is better in terms of storage compared to the 930 and 1020.Atleast you can pop in an sd card.But the 930 and 1020 are good for users who just listen to some music,post some selfies and play some light games
Yeah, that's the thing that puzzles me. They give us this beastly phone with a SD800, 2GB RAM and a high performance GPU... yet without the SD card slot it's really only ideal for the crowd that has light uses.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Just got the 930, seriously considering the 830 just for the expansion. I tried the 1520 but it was far to big for daily use.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The new s6 doesn't come with an SD card nor does any of the iPhones...

I'm sure the the s6 will sell millions and , well,iPhones keep selling.

Evidently, its not a deal breaker. On my 920 and 1020 I have never had the need for a memory card. However, I am using a blu win HD now. With the limited onboard storage, a memory card is a must have.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The new s6 doesn't come with an SD card nor does any of the iPhones...

Evidently, its not a deal breaker.
Both of the phones you mentioned also have 128GB options, so those aren't really valid comparisons when we're talking about phones that just have one storage option.

And whether it's a deal breaker or not is completely subjective.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
32 GB 920.

I don't have many games since I rather game on my PC, and MC5 proved more annoying than I was willing to put up with, etc.

I do have a sizeable amount of photos and movies, but they are easily negotiable.

Music is 7.5 GB, so no major concern.

The space was larger than what I would get otherwise in a phone, so it was liberating for me, ironically.

but now I'm sitting on a 32 GB card, so points moot now I guess.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not an issue for me either, but I only stream music, rather than storing it locally. I also prefer PC games, so I don't have mobile games.
8c2e569fb4d30b51e801fef5a9599eb1.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
What's pretty obvious by now is that we all have drastically different ranges of usage.

My daily driver (Lumia 820) has about 36GB of apps (there's more non-game apps, but the games make up all but 1GB of my apps), the music I take with me consists of 4,283 songs (a lot of which is FLAC audio) and I regularly use my phone to shoot pics/videos of daily events. I can live with compromise to an extent, but we're in an age where I shouldn't have to. I also like to game on the PC I built just for gaming, but at the same time that does nothing when I just want a quick mobile gaming fix. Even if I were to resurrect my RoG laptop that's highly impractical for the 5-15 minutes of idle time I'll come across every now and then.
It's not an issue for me either, but I only stream music, rather than storing it locally. I also prefer PC games, so I don't have mobile games.
I'm trying to get into streaming since they've let us use OneDrive+Xbox Music without having to pay some absurd yearly Music Pass fee (and because it's pretty much what I'll have to do since my music alone could eat the 930's storage completely)... and it was actually working exceptionally well until I added 32 new songs to my OneDrive music folder and it just flat out didn't detect any of them. Is there a force refresh option to make it search my OneDrive folder for new music?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes