Storage Cleaner - help!

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Out of a habit ported from Windows I downloaded the Storage Cleaner to check how much 'junk' it can 'detect' after toying with maybe 40 apps and 2,3 games.

I figured it would first calculate the 'temp files' and allow me to decide whether to delete them or leave as they are.

while scanning it shows already over 8GB of temp files, miscalculating my free space from 20GB to 12GB

In a fit of panic I stopped it. Better yet, the storage sense now shows I have only 12 GB of free storage capacity.

My oh my, how stupid of me.

What am I supposed to do now? What is it trying to delete from my phone?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
If you're referring to this Storage Cleaner App, then what this app does is to fill up your phone memory such that it will force the system to delete junk files particularly those that could be in the "Others Storage". This is the reason why your free space dropped from 20GB to 12GB... it would drop further (until near 0) if you didn't interrupt the app.

You can go to Storage Sense and delete the temporary files directly from the Storage Sense app. Incidentally, this also deletes some of the files in the Others storage. If this doesn't bring back your 20GB free space, then you may need to let the Storage Cleaner app run again until it finishes... just follow the instructions in the app.

Bottomline - the Storage Sense method is preferred over the Storage Cleaner app... since the Storage Cleaner app was designed based on the initial troubles older Windows Phone 8 phones had (the growing Others storage).

And, no; it wasn't trying to delete your phone. If it was, then you wouldn't be able to boot your phone up by now.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome.

Run Storage Sense (delete temporary files) first. If this doesn't restore your 20GB free space, then run the app (Storage Cleaner) again and let it finish (following the instructions in the app - I think you need to restart the phone or purge the memory after the app runs).

korbenn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
The upshot of the story is... success. No more files in 'other' at least if we are to believe the info. Moreover, the phone acts normally.

Not going to use it any time soon. Old habits...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon