Lumia 930 Hand Injury

Jack Dowson

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Just thought I would post this up on the forum to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Last night I fell asleep at around 9pm in the evening, and I woke up at around midnight, of which I had my Lumia 930 in my hand. The screen was off, it was charging on USB but the metal rim around the edge was so hot it had, over the course of a couple of hours, burnt my fingers. My fingers have been red raw (the top third of them) as well as the skin patch between my thumb and my first finger. At first I thought it was a battery issue however the battery area on the rear seemed only warm, not hot. My fingers also stank of metal, and in the morning there was scarring present in the areas where my finger prints are. They also swollen slightly as well. My fingers also have that shiny and sticky texture you get when burnt.

Over the course of the day my fingers have been really stinging, and I cant even put them in water without being in agony. I have also now noticed heat issues off of the charge too. I even had to take time out of university today to go to the pharmacy, just to get some burns cream to try and ease the pain.

I checked the heat of the rim of the phone when I noticed the burn, which was between 67 and 71 degrees centigrade (fluctuating).

I have posted on Microsoft Lumia UK's Facebook page along with a photo of the burns, but not had a response. I also called them, and they said they would escalate this to their customer services team, and was promised a call back later today, which never happened.

Has anyone else sustained a physical injury due to the heat of their phone?

WP_20151210_01_01_47_Rich.jpg
WP_20151210_08_37_22_Rich.jpg
WP_20151210_08_37_34_Rich.jpg
WP_20151210_08_37_40_Rich.jpg

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I almost got a similar injury from battery heat (phone can't find signals while being plugged in to a high-output power bank) and the back of the phone really heated up - I approximate the temperature to be around 50C, which enough to do some minor skin damage if touched for a prolonged period of time.

But I was awake, and I just touched the back for under a second, before immediately blowing the back and placing it against a fan, sometimes even an air conditioner.

So, no, I didn't sustain any injuries, but I could have if I held it much longer.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Sue them!

On a serious note, stock Nokia charger? Mine's charging now for over an hour or so and metal rim is cold to the touch. You're on Denim or running W10? Any apps running in the background that might have caused high load on the unit?

The only time that my unit would get uncomfortably hot would be during summer heat wave, with 30C outside and about 20+ inside.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Heavy sleeper with kung Fu grip. I'm curious what charger was used. Just another reason why metal is not ideal as handheld device enclosures, especially with only a small amount surrounded by insulating plastic. All energy to path of least resistance...metal frame and water in your body.

Edit:If you're concerned about your fingers you should seek a doctor sooner than later. Doesn't look so bad though, was expecting blisters.
Edit2: Good move on getting checked out.

Jack Dowson

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Stock USB cable and charger. I'm running Windows 10 on it; the only app that was running was Skype. The sheer temperature of it when I checked after I woke up was just as alarming as the pain from the burns itself. Just come back from the hospital and they've noted the medical report should it be needed.

Also, just to note, the battery area on the back was only warm, not hot, but it was the rim that was the worst.

-Jack

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have never encountered a 930 nor Icon that the metal band heats up. Those phones can run a little hot under heavy use or initial setup, but that is in the back, where the processor is.

Inside the phone, the only thing touching the metal band is the cellular antenna cables. They start about midway, and run down to the bottom. I can't even imagine what would be hot in there to have contact with the metal.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Thinking about this a little more, I wonder if the charger was in there just right to where it could contact the charge port and complete a circuit, but also have slipped out enough to contact the metal band on the outside. That could heat it up, I would think, though I am not really sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2