ICON Roll Call

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I think I will hold onto my 928 until at least MWC and see what gets announced. Because if there is any truth to this device, that will blow the 928 and 929 away. If no announcement and the 929 is out I will probably go with that.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Verizon really is the master of misinformation. We've got inside people saying its delayed indefinitely and then Verizon web people screwing up and posting the phone on the official website. Well played Verizon, well played.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Verizon really is the master of misinformation. We've got inside people saying its delayed indefinitely and then Verizon web people screwing up and posting the phone on the official website. Well played Verizon, well played.

+1 ... It is really pretty pathetic. I'm pretty sure the "insiders" are guessing based on zero info. If Verizon corporate can't master the basics of marketing & distribution why would anyone else be able to figure it out..

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
+1 ... It is really pretty pathetic. I'm pretty sure the "insiders" are guessing based on zero info. If Verizon corporate can't master the basics of marketing & distribution why would anyone else be able to figure it out..
I think Verizon is just sending different information to different people. I mean we've got accessories in some stores, tcman saying its not happening, in another thread some guy is said they're still testing it. It's just a big CF. This is why Samsung and Apple have made Verizon their ***** so they don't have to deal with all this mess.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lytro style camera won't be out until H12015 at the very earliest. And no one commits marketing resources to product pages for a device that's delayed indefinitely. Sorry, this all sounds untrue. 1820 and 1520V are more myth than truth at this point. Leapfrogging the next logical iteration with a phone with 3 GB of RAM 64GB of storage, etc. Sound too good to be true? Get your heads screwed on straight.

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
There are rumors from an unknown source regarding two new devices from Nokia that are high end. One of the devices, the 1820, was described as the same shape as the 928 and 929. The other device was described as an 8 inch tablet. MWC is right around the corner, so might hear more about those 2 devices then.

Rumor: Nokia to unveil 8-inch Lumia 2020 Tab & its next flagship Lumia 1820 during MWC 2014. | NPU

Talking about NPU, they seem to have more faith in list of other 4 devices, for MWC. they posted it twice.

A tip claims, Nokia MWC line-up may have Nokia Normandy. Testing intensifies! | NPU

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not trying to say I have faith in the rumors about the 1820. But what I do know is MWC is right around the corner. I don't see any reason at the moment to get a 929 if it is released, until I have a chance to see what is made known at MWC. Verizon at this point is screwing up. The longer they wait to release the 929 with MWC around the corner and new generation phones getting ready to be released by Samsung and Apple is only going to hurt 929
Sales.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I am not trying to say I have faith in the rumors about the 1820. But what I do know is MWC is right around the corner. I don't see any reason at the moment to get a 929 if it is released, until I have a chance to see what is made known at MWC. Verizon at this point is screwing up. The longer they wait to release the 929 with MWC around the corner and new generation phones getting ready to be released by Samsung and Apple is only going to hurt 929
Sales.

I also have another prediction related to this. If MWC shows these new phones, most likely AT&T will snatch them up first, thus making Verizon wait 6-12 months as usual. This is just a guess, so we'll see what happens....

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Sales.

But at the end of the day Verizon doesn't really care. To Verizon, their bread & butter are the Google (Samsung, HTC, Moto) and Apple phones. Since WP has such a small market share Verizon probably isn't all too worried about how many they sell. People who want to buy them will still buy them.

People will still buy the 929. If/when they announce a new phone, which will likely launch 2-3 months after the announcement, people will buy that one too. Verizon will make a case for existing customers to join the Edge program and trade in their phones for the newer device.
I also wouldn't be surprised if we find out the 1820 is real and that it has a 6inch 2K display to compete with the Note phones and continue to push the 929 as the 5inch.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Sales.

Verizon may never get one of the rumored phones announced at MWC. They may be happy with the Icon for the next year or two. Verizon still doesn't have the 1020/1520 or 625? If you're on Verizon and are staying with them, the Icon is probably going to be the best WP device own.

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I also agree completely. But the thing most people don't realize is that Verizon doesn't really care if you buy the Nokia 928 or the 929. Either way they have a new subscriber or someone who is renewing or paying full price for a device.

At the end of the day you spend months waiting for a phone and you will buy one phone or another and Verizon wins.

But at the same time, if Verizon continues to have a poor selection of Windows Phones, then as WP continues to increase in marketshare more and more customers will go to the carrier that has the better selection of phones. Long term it is in a carriers best interest to have the best selection of phones. In the future I could definately see myself switching carriers if Verizon is chronically behind on their phones.

Years ago it was really hurting carriers to not have the iPhone, and really boosting AT&T. The only way Verizon balanced that out was improve their phone selection (by getting the iPhone).

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
But at the same time, if Verizon continues to have a poor selection of Windows Phones, then as WP continues to increase in marketshare more and more customers will go to the carrier that has the better selection of phones. Long term it is in a carriers best interest to have the best selection of phones. In the future I could definately see myself switching carriers if Verizon is chronically behind on their phones.

Years ago it was really hurting carriers to not have the iPhone, and really boosting AT&T. The only way Verizon balanced that out was improve their phone selection (by getting the iPhone).

While I completely agree with you and have looked at leavingVerizon I've stayed despite lack of phones and higher cost because of their coverage. Currently, It's hands down the best available. And I think that's Verizon's mentality too and it shows when they still don't offer discounts for those who don't subsidize phones. They arefeeling the heat but not enough to make any moves like AT&T.

I hear all the time people saying, on these forums too, that you should never pick a provider because of a phone and coverage is king. So unless a mass exodus happens I don't see much of a change coming. I don't see WP8 market share spiking all of the sudden so when it does increase Verizon will work on having more phones added to their selection.

I hope you are right and Verizon takes a more aggressive proactive approach but I will keep my doubts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2