Who Still Plans on Buying the Icon?

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
If your not going to go with the "Icon" at least buy an Android. You get the screen your looking for and it can actually do something useful. IPhones are for girls, teenagers and those over 70 who need something "simple" to use.

I have used many Android phones all the way back to Gingerbread and most recently carried a Samsung Galaxy Note II for about 6 months so I have a lot of experience with Android. I need strong integration with Microsoft Exchange and unfortunately this is not one of Android's strong suites. iPhones are also for people who need a phone that is a great phone, doesn't drop calls, can handle mutli-party calls seamlessly and can be depended on for business. I found that Android fell short in this regard. The iPhone is not perfect but it has the least amount of bugs and issues of any mobile operating system (and I have tried all of them, including Blackberry). I think each mobile o/s has their strengths and weaknesses and it is wrong to categorize iPhone's the way you did. Each person should use the phone and o/s that best serves their needs. There were many things about the Nokia 1520 that I really liked and many that I didn't like, but I'd definitely like to give the Icon a try and see if it can handle the heavy workload of my business needs.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If your not going to go with the "Icon" at least buy an Android. You get the screen your looking for and it can actually do something useful. IPhones are for girls, teenagers and those over 70 who need something "simple" to use.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
I can't tell if you're trolling or not, so I'll take the bait.

So Android is for 20-69 year old males and only those males that like things to be more complicated? That's what in getting from this.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I find it interesting the number of people who say "I'm waiting for MWC to see what else Verizon might announce". ???

You apparently are stuck with Verizon (like me) but (unlike me) you want whatever is the latest and greatest regardless of the OS?

I decided I'm switching from Android to WP for a number of reasons. I'm stuck with Verizon. So I'm pretty sure that only leaves ONE option.....the Icon! Verizon will not be announcing the release of another WP at MWC. At least not one that's going to get released before late summer early fall at best.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want the latest and greatest WP from Verizon you're looking at the Icon and that's pretty much it.

I find it a little odd that people would just willy nilly hop OS's just because the phone is new and powerful. The Galaxy 5 looks good on paper.......if you want a new Android that is.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell if you're trolling or not, so I'll take the bait.

So Android is for 20-69 year old males and only those males that like things to be more complicated? That's what in getting from this.

No, it was sort of an attempt at humor. But to address the issue, at risk of throwing things completely off topic (not my intention). I simply meant that Android handsets would solve the issue of screen size described without waiting. What frustrates me is Apple's ability to make minor "tweaks" to their hardware and charge a premium for it while the media gush all over every minor detail. Further, I find the whole IOS experience rather simple and limiting as well as tailored for those that value "idi*t proof" over useful. I guess I just get frustrated that someone can make a "larger" screen and it actually demands pages and pages of editorial space. FYI... I had to look up what "troll" meant so, no, not what I intended. Extra glass of wine tonight. That's all. Humor is not well communicated in text.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting the number of people who say "I'm waiting for MWC to see what else Verizon might announce". ???

You apparently are stuck with Verizon (like me) but (unlike me) you want whatever is the latest and greatest regardless of the OS?

I decided I'm switching from Android to WP for a number of reasons. I'm stuck with Verizon. So I'm pretty sure that only leaves ONE option.....the Icon! Verizon will not be announcing the release of another WP at MWC. At least not one that's going to get released before late summer early fall at best.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want the latest and greatest WP from Verizon you're looking at the Icon and that's pretty much it.

I find it a little odd that people would just willy nilly hop OS's just because the phone is new and powerful. The Galaxy 5 looks good on paper.......if you want a new Android that is.

So, if the icon were not released would you buy the 928? Meaning, it sounds like you value the WP experience to the point that you'd settle for a lesser device rather than stay with Android and pick up the "next big thing" out of MWC? I ask because this is my issue. I have an Android. Love the phone, but really want to make the switch to WP - especially because of the camera quality and because everything else I use at home or work is Windows 8. However, you can't just overlook the hardware that is coming. Or can you?

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
A report came out yesterday that said 99% of smartphone malware last year was targeted at Android OS.

I have to operate in a secure environment so my phone is not used as a toy. The iPhone gives me that security and it just plain works everyday without a single blip or hiccup. That's just a fact that I never have to worry about it or its dependability. I'm not concerned about looks, interface , social media or games.

I do however think the WPs are worth taking a serious look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I find it interesting the number of people who say, 'The unannounced 929 will be the only Windows phone on Verizon this year, or at least until early Fall'

Microsoft did not go into negotiations to buy Nokia's hardware business last Summer, and close on the multi-billion dollar deal on September 2nd ... to a year later, only have one phone on the largest carrier in the US, with 2013 specs (basically a shrunk 1520). I am guessing ... the day the Nokia/Microsoft deal closes, Microsoft will have a huge press conference to announce their 'incredible new devices'. That deal is expected to be closed very soon.

Also, Windows 8.1 is being released in a couple months (you really think Verizon will not have a pre-installed 8.1 version until Fall?)

I am tied to Verizon because of reception and unlimited data. I have android on my phone, iOS on my iPad, and Windows on my PC's. I want to get rid of an OS, and since iPhones are too small for my hands and eyes; I am going with Windows. To keep my unlimited data, I need to buy a new phone for full price. Since I will have that very expensive phone for the next few years ... I want it to be the best one for the foreseeable future. Three months ago, the 929 would have been it!!! When it finally gets released (next month?), I am betting the wait for the next one will be short, because of either MWC, Windows 8.1 or the Nokia/Microsoft merger all happening soon.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting the number of people who say, 'The unannounced 929 will be the only Windows phone on Verizon this year, or at least until early Fall'

Microsoft did not go into negotiations to buy Nokia's hardware business last Summer, and close on the multi-billion dollar deal on September 2nd ... to a year later, only have one phone on the largest carrier in the US, with 2013 specs (basically a shrunk 1520). I am guessing ... the day the Nokia/Microsoft deal closes, Microsoft will have a huge press conference to announce their 'incredible new devices'. That deal is expected to be closed very soon.

Also, Windows 8.1 is being released in a couple months (you really think Verizon will not have a pre-installed 8.1 version until Fall?)

I am tied to Verizon because of reception and unlimited data. I have android on my phone, iOS on my iPad, and Windows on my PC's. I want to get rid of an OS, and since iPhones are too small for my hands and eyes; I am going with Windows. To keep my unlimited data, I need to buy a new phone for full price. Since I will have that very expensive phone for the next few years ... I want it to be the best one for the foreseeable future. Three months ago, the 929 would have been it!!! When it finally gets released (next month?), I am betting the wait for the next one will be short, because of either MWC, Windows 8.1 or the Nokia/Microsoft merger all happening soon.

The reason you here people say that is because that's how Verizon works. The 928 & Icon are both variants of phones that came out months ago. They like their own versions on their own time. It's easier to believe they'll wait at least, at least, 6 months before upstaging their flagship WP device they had Nokia make specifically for them than think they'll just release whatever Nokia/Microsoft announce at MWC or elsewhere. Would it be nice if they did? Of course. But that's not how they work. Wouldn't make good business sense.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I was one that was initially saying it didn't matter when the phone was released, as the same people that would have bought it a month ago will buy it next month. I can now say that I've completely lost interest and plan on keeping my Note 3. There are just too many things that I can't see giving up moving over to the Icon. I guess that's what happens when an impatient buyer has to wait for something...haha

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
From the start I've been saying "no matter when it comes out I will be buying" and that still stands but I am starting to second guess myself...

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
It would have been interesting a month ago, but as of now I could care less about this phone. I'd rather just wait for WP 8.1 handsets to hit the market.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a dream that there will be a phone thats also works as a radar this way people would stop using their cell phones talk/text while driving and just use it as a radar.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
From the start I've been saying "no matter when it comes out I will be buying" and that still stands but I am starting to second guess myself...
I for one have lost all interest. love my 928 and will use it as a backup and will keep an eye on WP over the next year but I have a note 3 coming tomorrow. I'll take a look see when Verizon gets 8.1 next winter.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I for one have lost all interest. love my 928 and will use it as a backup and will keep an eye on WP over the next year but I have a note 3 coming tomorrow. I'll take a look see when Verizon gets 8.1 next winter.

Notice lots of people here going to Note 3... Interesting choice.

WarDamnEagle09

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
In what way? Has some new phone come out that eclipsed it? No.

Well, by luster I think he means.... with talk of the 1820 and whatever else might get announced at MWC, the 929 is losing it's marketability. It's really just a slightly upgraded 928 and the 928 was a 920 with a different screen and case and that was from fall of 2012. If these phones are coming out in April, why on earth would you buy a 929? It would be like buying a 4S when the iPhone 6 is around the corner.

I'm somewhat unique I think though, I jump to a new phone every 6 months and have no problem jumping carriers for a phone (only between AT&T and Verizon though). If MWC comes and goes and the only talk of a new windows phone for Verizon is a 929 I will be a new AT&T customer when the 1820 or 1520v gets released. I'm in DC and the coverage is the same for both with data for AT&T seeming to be faster due to this being a Verizon town, imho.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, by luster I think he means.... with talk of the 1820 and whatever else might get announced at MWC, the 929 is losing it's marketability. It's really just a slightly upgraded 928 and the 928 was a 920 with a different screen and case and that was from fall of 2012. If these phones are coming out in April, why on earth would you buy a 929? It would be like buying a 4S when the iPhone 6 is around the corner.
If by 'slightly upgraded 928' you mean "Completely different phone with an entirely new chipset, screen, additional features, form factor, twice the CPU's each running about 50% faster than the 928 and twice the memory and likely twice the storage" then I see where you are coming from.

The 929 is nothing like the 928. The specs on the 928 were old by the time it came out, and superseded just a few months later. It was running the previous generation Qualcomm SOC. The 929, even at this point, is still running the fastest ARM solution on the market, and it will remain so for at least six months more. The successor to the 800 in the 929 is the 805, it is sampling this spring and will be in full designs this fall. If a hypothetical 1820 or 1520v are released in April, it will not be based on anything greater than what is in the Icon.

WarDamnEagle09

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
If by 'slightly upgraded 928' you mean "Completely different phone with an entirely new chipset, screen, additional features, form factor, twice the CPU's each running about 50% faster than the 928 and twice the memory and likely twice the storage" then I see where you are coming from.

The 929 is nothing like the 928. The specs on the 928 were old by the time it came out, and superseded just a few months later. It was running the previous generation Qualcomm SOC. The 929, even at this point, is still running the fastest ARM solution on the market, and it will remain so for at least six months more. The successor to the 800 in the 929 is the 805, it is sampling this spring and will be in full designs this fall. If a hypothetical 1820 or 1520v are released in April, it will not be based on anything greater than what is in the Icon.

You had me until you definitively stated what some hypothetical phones won't be.

Last edited:

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
In what way? Has some new phone come out that eclipsed it? No.

No, but getting closer and closer to several new releases. If you factor in the time element, my original decision was to make the switch to WP, which I've wanted to do for some a long time. I was happy that for the first time there was a phone that qualified as at least minimally acceptable, to justify my switch. At this point the wait is beginning to exceed my excitement. Further, we are starting to get into a situation where the wait time for a slew of other phones is not too bad... Hence... The lost luster. Still a solid phone. For now.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes