06-14-2014 03:06 PM
289 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Never cared for Glance, but like the double tap.
    Funny, I'm the exact opposite. :P

At the beginning, I thought glace was useless, but it has been very helpful recently for me.
    etad putta likes this.
    02-12-2014 10:13 PM
    Maybe they are just waiting for 8.1 since maybe the new version of glance will add more features. Like it totally got redesigned
    Thats a huge maybe
    02-12-2014 10:17 PM
    I think this is something that will get added in the near future. If you all know Verizon like I do coming from a long list of Androids. If something isn't quite right then they will either delay the device or simply have it removed. I honestly believe that's what has happened here. Ive had many of androids that have been crippled or falls far behind on updates due to their long waited approvals.

With that being said id also like to add after watching all the unboxing videos, I must say I think we all were a little wrong on Verizon not being behind this device 100%. With the big waterproof/air sealed pelican cases, big Verizon and Nokia literature, bright red lights and red headphones screaming Verizon, I must say that was over the top and pretty sweet. They wanted to catch everyone eyes and make a statement and I think they did a great job so far.
    it would make sense that there was some problem with glance last year and they spent a couple if months trying to fix it but finally gave up and disabled it, figured no other phone but Moto x has this so why worry
    02-12-2014 10:31 PM
    Meh I never liked Glance, but I live and breathe double tap to wake! Definitely not a deal breaker though lol those things are too silly to pass up an extraordinary phone! (especially for what I think is a cheap off contract price of $549!)
    02-12-2014 10:57 PM
    Are they serious? What kind of garbage is that?
    It's total BS!!! What a sham of a product!! Windows Phone is crap now and I'm going to get an Android - that'll show em!!! I hope the design team dies in a fire!!*

*let me know if I'm missing anything - I'll happily add it later.
    02-13-2014 06:58 AM
    It's total BS!!! What a sham of a product!! Windows Phone is crap now and I'm going to get an Android - that'll show em!!! I hope the design team dies in a fire!!*

Don't need to say anything more; you said it all. What you said is silly IMHO but at least you are free to say it. If something like No Glance keeps you from buying this phone; so be it.
    Residing likes this.
    02-13-2014 07:07 AM
    I'm speaking more of the people who won't be getting this because of the lack of Glance, not those who were on the fence. For those who planned on getting on this, I don't think Glance is the reason to not pick this up.
    I'll trade my at&t Glance for your Verizon 32 gigs, lol.
    02-13-2014 07:17 AM
    Don't need to say anything more; you said it all. What you said is silly IMHO but at least you are free to say it. If something like No Glance keeps you from buying this phone; so be it.
    I thought he was being facetious.
    02-13-2014 07:29 AM
    dealbreaker. Glance is once of the main reasons I switched to winphone. Looks like it's back to the Droid Maxx...

This completely sucks.
    haha you came to windows phone os just for glance screen? what about the rest of the stuffs>
    02-13-2014 07:39 AM
    My L525 has double tap to wake the screen but not Glance ..in 525 can do double tap to wake the screen so does ICON.Just a matter of time..
    02-13-2014 07:51 AM
    I'm an Android guy who's planning to make the switch with the Icon next week. I hadn't known what Glance even was before reading the review on the site but now I have a question. Is there any way at all to see if your phone has new notifications? Is there no front led that flashes or anything?
    02-13-2014 08:37 AM
    I'm an Android guy who's planning to make the switch with the Icon next week. I hadn't known what Glance even was before reading the review on the site but now I have a question. Is there any way at all to see if your phone has new notifications? Is there no front led that flashes or anything?
    If Glance (with Black update) isn't installed; to see if you have any new notifications (like text messages, emails, phone calls or VM) you would have to turn on the phone. No Nokia phones have any notification lights.
    carstenosu likes this.
    02-13-2014 08:49 AM

There, there... Calm down. No need to put words in my mouth (err, keyboard?).

I fully plan on getting the phone... but to me, having Glance is VERY convenient. Who wants to turn on their phone just to see if there are notifications or not? Seems like a bit of regression to not include it on a flagship phone.
    maevinj and altafmahmood like this.
    02-13-2014 09:28 AM
    If Glance (with Black update) isn't installed; to see if you have any new notifications (like text messages, emails, phone calls or VM) you would have to turn on the phone. No Nokia phones have any notification lights.
    Well that definitely sucks a little bit. I don't think it's reason enough for me to avoid buying, but I'll certainly miss knowing if I have notifications or not.
    02-13-2014 09:44 AM
    The screen doesn't light up when you get a text message without glance?

Posted via the WPC App
    02-13-2014 09:50 AM
    The screen doesn't light up when you get a text message without glance?

Posted via the WPC App
    The screen will turn on and the message will appear at top of the screen; Glance isn't needed for this. The message will appear as one line and you can swipe to the right to clear it. It will still show as a new message on the start screen.
    JBConforti likes this.
    02-13-2014 09:54 AM
    The screen will turn on and the message will appear at top of the screen; Glance isn't needed for this. The message will appear as one line and you can swipe to the right to clear it. It will still show as a new message on the start screen.
    Well that's good enough for me. It will be my first time using a Windows phone, and since I've never had this feature on my Android or iPhone then I guess I won't miss it. It's a nice feature, though. Hopefully the Icon gets the glance support in the near future.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-13-2014 10:57 AM
    Well that's good enough for me. It will be my first time using a Windows phone, and since I've never had this feature on my Android or iPhone then I guess I won't miss it. It's a nice feature, though. Hopefully the Icon gets the glance support in the near future.

Posted via the WPC App
    Hopefully glance will be added later. Also with wp 8.1 update you will also get notifications bar also a hell lot of features will be added later this year
    02-13-2014 11:01 AM
    Is this true of all notifications, not just text messages?
    02-13-2014 11:08 AM
    Is this true of all notifications, not just text messages?
    Text message and toast notifications; aside from phone calls. An example of a toast notification I have Package Tracker installed and it will wake my phone up when there is status change in a package delivery.
    02-13-2014 11:13 AM
    He was KIDDING!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    02-13-2014 11:15 AM
    I refuse to buy that "certain hardware restrictions" garbage. Other than display size, how does the Icon differ from the 1520, really? All Windows Phone devices run on Qualcomm chips. The Icon an 1520 are from the same Snapdragon family (might even be the same chip). Both are probably identical, once you get past the size.
    02-13-2014 11:17 AM
    I refuse to buy that "certain hardware restrictions" garbage. Other than display size, how does the Icon differ from the 1520, really? All Windows Phone devices run on Qualcomm chips. The Icon an 1520 are from the same Snapdragon family (might even be the same chip). Both are probably identical, once you get past the size.
    The Icon would have CDMA crammed in there so it would be a little different, though I don't see how a CDMA radio would have impact on a screen. :)
    02-13-2014 11:25 AM
    I have an HTC 8X so no glance. What am I missing?
    02-13-2014 11:39 AM
    They have a completely different display screen, different technologies.

I summed up the differences that I noticed in another post:

Compare the PPI, or density...on the 1520, the PPI is very similar to the 925, 925=>330s vs. 360s for the 1520. The Icon is now over 440.

The 1520 and Icon both have the same resolution, the 925 and Icon both have the same technology (AMOLED). Nothing and the Icon have the same pixel density.
    Not saying that is the fault, just an idea of something major that changed.
    02-13-2014 12:15 PM
289 ... 23456 ...