03-13-2014 08:47 AM
64 123
tools
    I've had good experiences buying both of my Windows Phones, but I went to the store with my wife when she bought her 920, and that saleslady was honestly awful. I was angry when I left the store.
    02-18-2014 10:35 AM
    I tried to find similar stories of people being steered in the wrong direction on our sister forums (imore and android central). It would seem they are a little less insecure with their purchases.
    The web is flooded with "insecure" smartphone owners who have dealt with sales practices undermining their chosen platform. Now Blackberry owners are being "insecure."

T-Mobile US, which is majority owned by Deutsche Telekom AG, sent out emails to some of its customers last week, pitching free iPhone 5s and touting the promotion as a, "great offer for BlackBerry customers."

That sparked a brouhaha in social media forums after some of the telecommunications company's loyal BlackBerry customers reacted angrily to the offer, which they perceived as a slight.
    BlackBerry CEO assails T-Mobile US promo as 'ill-conceived' | Reuters
    02-19-2014 08:21 AM
    As an aside - had the crazy realization that, in their look and feel, WP and Android actually seem to match up with the corporate look and feel of the other company. Sort of a blind taste test. Remove all hardware and software branding, find that elusive person who is smartphone ignorant, show them a Lumia and a GS4 or MotoX, and ask them which is Google centric and which is Microsoft centric. From a 10,000' view, the solid color tiles of WP matching Google's branding, and the icon/shortcut grid matching desktop Windows look.

Apple is of course Apple.

And this post is essentially a silly and nonsensical rambling.
    aximtreo likes this.
    02-19-2014 09:11 AM
    Similar story happened to me on 2/22. I went to an Authorized Vzw Retailer and they had never heard of it either, even though one of their 'corporate reps' called me because I was due for an upgrade and they were supposed to have one turned on when I got there do I could get a hands on experience with it. Having never used a windows phone before, I did experience the hands on use of the 928. As I had researched the windows phone and the lumia icon deeply prior to my visit, I was able to spout off some differences between these two models. It was funny to me that neither of these salespersons has heard anything about this phone. By the end of the conversation one of them stated 'so are we going to do this or not?'
    I quickly realized he thought I was going to buy the 928, and I was able to respond with a quick 'not.' I told him I had nothing against the 928 but I want the icon, plain and simple.
    This was not a corporate vzw store, but I still expect a certain level of knowledge and customer service from a store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-27-2014 09:35 PM
    Yet another reason why I avoid the so-called "Premier Retail" stores. 100x worse than the corporate stores.
    02-28-2014 05:36 AM
    Same here. Dropped by one last night, asked about Icon, guy launched into a tirade about how "we only stock high-demand phones." I was tempted to point out that he had the 822 Lumia on the floor, but instead, I just told him that if he had an Icon I would have paid full retail for it, and left.
    02-28-2014 06:10 AM
    Easy to forget Android went through the same thing before it took off. There were countless stories of people walking into stores looking at Android devices only to have the reps steer them to the iPhone.
    02-28-2014 10:19 AM
    I know it's not realistic but I wish people took a more vested interest into their job. When I was working retail, whether it was a fast food joint as a teenager or a manager when I was older, I made sure I knew about all of the items in my place of employment. However this level of work etiquette is clearly not common when it comes to Verizon stores around me. The day before the Icon launched, I went to a few stores before realizing I needed to go to a corporate store to switch over to the EDGE plan. Still none of the people I talked to were aware of the phone launching the next day. So I found my local corporate store to ask about the EDGE plan and upgrading my phone the next day. A part of our conversation went like this:

Rep: What can I help you with today?

Me: I was wondering about switching to the EDGE plan and upgrading to the new Lumia Icon when it launches tomorrow.

Rep: You said you wanted to upgrade to the iPhone?

Me: No, the new Lumia Icon that is supposed to launch tomorrow. The newest Windows Phone.

Rep: Ohhhhh ok yeah, the Microsoft rep was here yesterday telling us about some new phone releasing soon and their plans and I was just like "Sure....whatever".

I'm sorry but if I ever heard one of my employees treating her job like this, I'd take some kind of action.

Sadly this is only one example of my two trips to this store and neither were really great with how dismissive both reps were towards WP.
    02-28-2014 10:40 AM
    Rep: Ohhhhh ok yeah, the Microsoft rep was here yesterday telling us about some new phone releasing soon and their plans and I was just like "Sure....whatever".
    Crap like that should cost him his job.

When I talked to the Verizon rep he didn't try to steer me, but he was honest that he never heard of the phone until the day before it launched, so they were very unprepared. There were NONE on display when I walked in at ~11:30am, and they didn't set up the display until after noon. He also mentioned that the Nokia rep was supposed to setup a meeting to train them on the phone, but for some reason it never happened.
    02-28-2014 11:06 AM
    Something similar happened to me when I got the 928. However they did have them in the back, but it was burried. They made me wait for about 30 minutes to find it. I didn't want to go through that again so I ordered the Icon online, but due to the SIM sizes, I had to go in anyway. This time they were so busy I had to wait 30 minutes. They had to get a new SIM card only to find out it was the wrong size, so they had to get another new SIM card. Also they had absolutely no idea how to open the SIM slot. I had to do it for them. lol

One thing I don't understand though is why activation takes so long. After they got the SIM card it took like 10 minutes of work between the computer and me restarting the phone.
    02-28-2014 02:23 PM
    I got my Icon at a corporate store. When I got my 928 day one, I ordered on-line. The 928 took 3 days to deliver, so in the meantime I went to this store to check it out. No one had a clue about this phone. I was pretty ticked off that a corporate store was so clueless. I found the store model to get a better idea of the phones general dimensions, but had no one available to answer any questions I may have had. The only person available kept trying to sell me an S3. I made one trip back, about 6 months later to replace my 928, the battery had overcharged and killed itself. The rep I dealt with was, by his own admission, the only WP aficionado in the store, but was of course, extremely helpful. On the 20th (February, the Icon's first day) I went back to the store to try and solve an issue with the flash. It had stopped working and I thought maybe there's a setting I'm missing. I'd hope the WP-aware rep was there, but, unfortunately not. The rep I got, however, was extremely helpful in trying to solve my problem, it was just he was as clueless about the OS as one can be, and ended up following all the steps I had, and finally came to the same conclusion that my flash had burned out.

I decided to order a replacement 928, but just before we started, he mentioned the new Lumia that just came out that day. He had memorized some of the specs and pointed out some of the differences from my 928. This was astonishing to me. He obviously knew nothing of the WP OS, based on my earlier interaction, but he made the effort to learn about the new product coming to the floor. I was actually pretty impressed. He told me during check out that he is an iPhone guy, but based on the phone specs, was definitely interested in spending more time with the WP phones. He asked me about my experiences with this and other phone OSes. I told him that I was an old Android guy that basically retaliated against the OS based on my wonderful experiences with the (im)famous HTC Thunderbolt (ducking for cover, awaiting a lightning bolt at the mention of that name). I have no actual hate for Android as an OS, but in its stock UI, I find it limiting. I got tired of playing with new ROMs and chasing the next update. My only IOS experience is my son's iPad, and I am not really that impressed. Not sure how other corporate stores are, but this one seems to have some pretty good people, who actually try and do a good job. I wonder if they got complaints last year regarding their floor staff being clueless or maybe a new manager came on board that actually pushed to get the staff knowledgeable, I don't know, come I will keep coming back to Verizon if that continues.
    02-28-2014 03:27 PM
    I know it's not realistic but I wish people took a more vested interest into their job. When I was working retail, whether it was a fast food joint as a teenager or a manager when I was older, I made sure I knew about all of the items in my place of employment. However this level of work etiquette is clearly not common when it comes to Verizon stores around me. The day before the Icon launched, I went to a few stores before realizing I needed to go to a corporate store to switch over to the EDGE plan. Still none of the people I talked to were aware of the phone launching the next day. So I found my local corporate store to ask about the EDGE plan and upgrading my phone the next day. A part of our conversation went like this:

Rep: What can I help you with today?

Me: I was wondering about switching to the EDGE plan and upgrading to the new Lumia Icon when it launches tomorrow.

Rep: You said you wanted to upgrade to the iPhone?

Me: No, the new Lumia Icon that is supposed to launch tomorrow. The newest Windows Phone.

I'm sorry but if I ever heard one of my employees treating her job like this, I'd take some kind of action.

Sadly this is only one example of my two trips to this store and neither were really great with how dismissive both reps were towards WP.
    I agree he should go work at Burger King or somewhere where less care is required.

My phone experience two days before the Icon came out was completely different. Testing him, I asked if they were going to have the new Nokia Lumia (no Icon) in stock, and he said, "You mean the Icon, right?" He then told me they should get "at least" one of each color and to check back on Thursday. When I went in on Thursday they had one white and several blacks, along with a few accessories. We changed to Edge and were in and out in about a half hour. Loving it so far!
    03-01-2014 08:45 PM
    So I stopped by a Verizon store today. I was hoping to get an idea what the white/black Icon looked like, even if it was just a display. I walked in and approached two salespeople (SP) sitting behind desks to one side of the store. Here is how the encounter went....

Me: Hi. Just wondering if you might have a Lumia Icon I could look at, even if just a display unit?

SP1: "What?"
    SP2: "Never heard of it"

Me: "It's the new Nokia. Nokia Lumia Icon?"

SP1/SP2: Blank looks, shaking heads.

Me: "It had been called the 929 for a while?"

SP1: Never heard of it.
    SP2: Nope.

Me: "You're supposed to be getting it on the 20th."

SP1: Looks in the system. Reads me off a recent article on the Icon. "According to Google....Lumia Icon, 20MP camera, quad core processors..."

Me: "It's the 5" version of At&T's 1520."

SP1: "Wow, the specs look pretty impressive on this thing
    SP2: "What is it, a Windows Phone?"

Me: "Yes"

SP2: "Oh, then we probably won't get it. Nobody ever wants those big phones, and if they do, they want the Samsung S4. It's the best phone out there."

SP1: Still reading the specs, a bit excited. "Yes, according to the system it will be available on the 20th. But that doesn't mean we'll have any in store on that date"
    SP2: Looks bored talking about a Windows Phone.

Me: "Ok. Thanks guys. I'll check back" Walks out.

SP1: Back to reading out the specs and talking to SP2 about them. Sounding excited from the little I catch.
    Yeah. The Verizon store reps can be hit or miss. The best service I had was the Verizon store in Sierra Vista, AZ. Sierra Vista just got LTE a couple of years ago (late 2012). When asked the one of the reps says that based on what he's heard, Sierra Vista is about a year behind Tucson. And his prediction was fairly close. They had good management and your conversation probably wouldn't have taken place.

But to be fair to VZW they have several different types of devices to sell, and the upper sales management bubbas are probably telling the stores to push certain products. The ones that will probably make them more money.

The Verizon stores here are ok. Not stupendous and not bad... just OK. I find that when it comes to Nokia/MSFT products to go to our Microsoft Store here in Honolulu. Those guys are really great.
    03-12-2014 01:05 PM
    I got that same kind of reaction when I talked to a rep about my 822 right before it came out.. He was like dumb founded that somebody knew the thing was even coming out and told me he never heard of anyone being excited about a windows phone.
    03-13-2014 08:47 AM
64 123