02-23-2014 11:34 AM
56 123
tools
    She got torn apart in the comments
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-21-2014 08:40 PM
    @TripsG

this is beyond just opinions, some parts of The Verge review were bad too, but I can let that go as writers opinion.

Only part that I can let go in this piece as opinion is when she mentions that it too thick for her liking. other parts about performance of the phone itself or of the camera or the part where she complains about pre installed apps etc. is just unacceptable. I mean at this point every single pc/smartphone comes with pre-loaded software that one might not want.
    Also, she is complaining about the live tile for The Weather Channel app - does that make any sense to you, I mean a weather app is the perfect example of live tile.
    snowmutt and Kevin Rush like this.
    02-21-2014 08:41 PM
    The following comment by mtalinm on the article hit the nail on the head:

"...my iPhone 5s"

should have been the first line of the article.
    You are very welcome :-)
    dznk likes this.
    02-21-2014 08:41 PM
    Not a terrible review and some criticism is valid, i.e. the Icon does seem a bit thicker than it really should be and Windows Phone won't be even close to the competition until Windows 8.1 arrives, etc. But that being said the review should have pointed out that Windows hardware is near top notch and when Windows 8.1 arrives it will finally be ready for some real competition with iOS and Android.
    To say WP 8 isn't even close to the current IOS and Android Kit Kat or whatever version is a bit of a stretch. This is coming from an HTC One user (former user). I've had Android for the past 6 years or so and am loving WP 8. Messed around on a used 928 for a while and I was sold. There are a lot of reasons that would compel one to switch.
    02-21-2014 09:02 PM
    People around here need to trade in their thin skin for something a bit thicker. You would think someone insulted your child. First, it is just a phone. Second, it is not nearly as bad as any number of reviews for any number of devices. Third, the person is entitled to her opinion and if someone want to post it, that is the way it works. Finally, if you find it so offensive, why post a link to it? Congratulations, you just got the article (and site hits) which helps generate ad revenues which further encourages the articles you obviously dislike, Oh, the more hits, the higher the negatives climb up Google's search indexes.
    Dadstar0410 and admorris#AC like this.
    02-21-2014 09:22 PM
    I see you certainly have thick skin.
    Again it's just a phone, so cool down ;-)
    02-21-2014 09:59 PM
    You would think someone insulted your child.
    Gee man, you would think someone insulted your child.
    On: Don't worry about Lassie (or whatever her name is) she deserves every single comment made on her article.
    Why?
    Because her job is to write quality stuff, and, as you can totally notice, this is a terrible review.
    You would expect someone on a TECH SITE to actually know some TECH STUFF. Even so, it's fine if she didn't know any tech stuff, but she could at least have made some research about the phone in question, even if it's just for respect to their readers.
    This was an insult to people that are actually literate to the world of technology.
    This was ignorant blabbery, writen by an ignorant fella.

I hope this post made you understand.
    And yes, this is the kind of stuff you get from any user of any platform when you mess up about anything.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-21-2014 10:20 PM
    To say WP 8 isn't even close to the current IOS and Android Kit Kat or whatever version is a bit of a stretch. This is coming from an HTC One user (former user). I've had Android for the past 6 years or so and am loving WP 8. Messed around on a used 928 for a while and I was sold. There are a lot of reasons that would compel one to switch.
    Right now WP8 is missing a lot of basic stuff, such as notifications, separate volume for notifications vs ringer, etc. Most of these big glaring omissions are addressed in WP8.1. That was the point I was trying to make. Coming over to WP8 from iOS and Android makes me feel like I've gone back 2 years to a time when these basic features were missing.... So WP8.1 will bring Windows Phone into contention at least...
    02-21-2014 10:44 PM
    Gee man, you would think someone insulted your child.
    On: Don't worry about Lassie (or whatever her name is) she deserves every single comment made on her article.
    Why?
    Because her job is to write quality stuff, and, as you can totally notice, this is a terrible review.
    You would expect someone on a TECH SITE to actually know some TECH STUFF. Even so, it's fine if she didn't know any tech stuff, but she could at least have made some research about the phone in question, even if it's just for respect to their readers.
    This was an insult to people that are actually literate to the world of technology.
    This was ignorant blabbery, writen by an ignorant fella.

I hope this post made you understand.
    And yes, this is the kind of stuff you get from any user of any platform when you mess up about anything.
    What rubbish. WP fanbois really are funny. I always get how WP is the "simplest" and "most intuitive" and "consistent" OS from the usual suspects on this site. But when it comes to any reviewer talking about WP, it's all "oh they're tech illiterate" "they don't know how to use a WP" and so on.

Newsflash, yo: This is how the average consumer thinks. A reviewer's job is not to pander to MSFT/your whims, but to assess how the common man on the street will look at things. A reviewer being a techie is actually a bad thing, IMO.
    admorris#AC likes this.
    02-21-2014 11:17 PM
    What rubbish. WP fanbois really are funny. I always get how WP is the "simplest" and "most intuitive" and "consistent" OS from the usual suspects on this site. But when it comes to any reviewer talking about WP, it's all "oh they're tech illiterate" "they don't know how to use a WP" and so on.

Newsflash, yo: This is how the average consumer thinks. A reviewer's job is not to pander to MSFT/your whims, but to assess how the common man on the street will look at things. A reviewer being a techie is actually a bad thing, IMO.
    A reviewer doesn't need to be a techie, but they should at the very lest understand what they are reviewing. She didn't have a clue. If she represents the common user, there is no purpose for most people to have a smart phone. She would be confused by a Razer.
    02-22-2014 12:09 AM
    People around here need to trade in their thin skin for something a bit thicker. You would think someone insulted your child. First, it is just a phone. Second, it is not nearly as bad as any number of reviews for any number of devices. Third, the person is entitled to her opinion and if someone want to post it, that is the way it works. Finally, if you find it so offensive, why post a link to it? Congratulations, you just got the article (and site hits) which helps generate ad revenues which further encourages the articles you obviously dislike, Oh, the more hits, the higher the negatives climb up Google's search indexes.
    While I agree with you about the problem with posting bad reviews for the sake of pointing out how bad they are...

This is the pot calling the kettle black. While we're calling a tech blogger out for an awful review. You're defending... a tech blogger after their terrible review. See the irony here?

I highly encourage other posters to go through stephen_az's posting history and find one positive thing that he has said. Thanks!
    02-22-2014 02:09 AM
    A reviewer doesn't need to be a techie, but they should at the very lest understand what they are reviewing. She didn't have a clue. If she represents the common user, there is no purpose for most people to have a smart phone. She would be confused by a Razer.
    Common users are stupid and easily confused. Source: Seven years in tech support for Dell.
    admorris#AC likes this.
    02-22-2014 02:54 AM
    I find it strange that evryone states how thick the Icon is even though it's actually thinner than the 928. The 928 looks thinner because the sides are skinnier
    02-22-2014 04:10 AM
    did she say here maps is for driving? I thought here drive was for drivers? this person is thick.
    Last edited by afgzee; 02-22-2014 at 07:03 AM.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-22-2014 06:44 AM
    Wow, she got decimated in the comments... and rightly so.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-22-2014 07:53 AM
    I think it is a valid topic to discuss. A lot of people wonder why Windows Phone isn't more popular and reviews like that are a big reason why.

I found the comment about the phone being "laggy" to be very strange. A quad core windows phone is "laggy" compared to what? I had to go pick up my 1520 and play with it a bit to see if I could see this lag she was talking about. She said it lagged when swiping from the start screen to the app list. I'm not seeing that on the 1520.

The reviewer dinged the phone because it had HERE maps?!

This isn't even about Windows Phone or Nokia. I wouldn't trust any review this woman did. I mean complaining about where the headphone jack is located?! Why doesn't she tell us where the headphone jack should be and why it should be placed there.
    Kevin Rush and Live2Deliver like this.
    02-22-2014 10:28 AM
    Here's a tip: Stop reading Gizmodo, they stopped being a tech site after the stoners took over. Now half the articles are just opinion pieces that make little sense. I stopped reading their site and switched to Engadget. You can also tell that they are not reputable because they like the Nook Glowlight over the PaperWhite
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    02-22-2014 10:45 AM
    I think it is a valid topic to discuss. A lot of people wonder why Windows Phone isn't more popular and reviews like that are a big reason why.

I found the comment about the phone being "laggy" to be very strange. A quad core windows phone is "laggy" compared to what? I had to go pick up my 1520 and play with it a bit to see if I could see this lag she was talking about. She said it lagged when swiping from the start screen to the app list. I'm not seeing that on the 1520.

The reviewer dinged the phone because it had HERE maps?!

This isn't even about Windows Phone or Nokia. I wouldn't trust any review this woman did. I mean complaining about where the headphone jack is located?! Why doesn't she tell us where the headphone jack should be and why it should be placed there.
    It's one of the reasons webOS didn't succeed. Lack of carrier support, and people are just afraid of the future.
    02-22-2014 10:47 AM
    Common users are stupid and easily confused. Source: Seven years in tech support for Dell.
    Hence because they are stupid and easily confused, she shouldn't have done that terrible review, you try to explain it the best you can not just say a few good things about the product but put it a way these "stupid and confused" common users can understand.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-22-2014 10:48 AM
    I agree about the headphone jack being on the top but that can be personal preference. When I doc it in my car I have power on bottom and audio coming out the top. So it gets a bit octopus like.
    savagelizards likes this.
    02-22-2014 10:52 AM
    For me the audio jack is right where it should be but again that's just personal preference
    02-22-2014 10:55 AM
    This guy really doesn't know what he's talking about. Reminds me of Molly Woods: finding faults with the device just for the sake of finding faults. This line in particular bothers me:
    These apps exist to make up for the dearth of developer support that has so plagued Windows Phone since the beginning of its existence."

Since when are built in apps and services as bad thing? This really boggles the mind, how they could say this... Silly, just silly. I don't think people were ruffled when Apple built in a flashlight and compass app into iOS 7, so why is it such a sin for Nokia to do this?

As for the bloatware: I agree, it's annoying all the apps installed on Windows Phone by default, many which I won't even use (I don't even understand football, why do I care about the NFL?). That said, it takes three minutes, max, to uninstall of them, then you'll never have to toil with them again. And that's much better than what can be said for certain Android handsets: which have bloatware that can't be uninstalled.

So while the author does bring up a fair point or two, the overall review is just silly, and their ignorance diminishes the credibility of the entire article. Again, channeling the vibe of the infamous Molly Woods.
    02-22-2014 11:02 AM
    There's a huge canyon between a respectable review, which picks apart faults with a product (or service) and ensures all bases are covered, and a review that essentially misleads consumers to believe said product or service is not up to par down to personal preferences and incorrect (or not complete) information. I believe the Windows Phone community doesn't have an issue with valid complaints. In fact, consumers wielding Microsoft smartphones are generally the most verbal when it comes to complaining (in a good way, of course), but this review is simply unacceptable. I wouldn't want anyone I know to read it and then bypass the Icon because of what the reviewer 'disliked' as opposed to what is actually a negative with the phone and/or operating system themselves.
    davidD93 and drankurn like this.
    02-22-2014 11:31 AM
    She said that the phone lagged when going to the app list LOL. I've never seen a WP lag when going to the app list, is she making **** up?
    02-22-2014 12:07 PM
    my opinion. reviewer doesn't like WP 8 or nokia. hence the review given.
    02-22-2014 02:56 PM
56 123