Was Glance the Reason the Icon was "Delayed?"

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
They're so close in subscribers now, any customer switching is something they don't want.

I would suspect most people really dislike one company or the other. For me, it would take A LOT to get me to go back to AT&T from VZW. What I saw the most of when Nokia announced the Icon in Facebook was people on T-Mobile begging for it over there..

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I would suspect most people really dislike one company or the other. For me, it would take A LOT to get me to go back to AT&T from VZW. What I saw the most of when Nokia announced the Icon in Facebook was people on T-Mobile begging for it over there..

Then there are the people who are looking for reasons to switch.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I sure hope it comes. To be honest, Glance in it's current state is pretty "meh" so one can probably live without it. However, it's the potential of what it COULD do that has kept me from replacing my 928.

Watch this video of Active Notifications... yes, it's a gross Android, but to me, it shows the awesome potential of what this type of technology can do. I also have the Moto X and if I'm forced to use Android, this is the only way I would use one....

Active Display on the Moto X - YouTube

It is "meh", but now that I don't have it. It feels like my phone is missing a huge feature. I am a chef and watches aren't allowed on your wrist, so I keep my phone on station away from food. The less steps I do, the faster I move. The wave gesture over my phone to see if I'm on time with my preparation schedule is gold. Its so simple, but its very necessary for me. I used to think it was crap, but it became a necessity.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Pure speculation here, but my guess is that Nokia tried to fix it and just couldn't - so we shouldn't be expecting Glance support in the future.

How do you feel about Icon if Glance is never available? Do you think the Glance issue delayed the phone, and if so do you still expect the feature to make an appearance?
I have an early version of the Icon with different firmware from October. Even back then, it never ran Glance.

I announced on twitter at some point in Nov IIRC that it has been pushed back to Q1. It seems more like a marketing decision, since they basically took a timeframe and pushed it ahead 2-3 months on purpose.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an early version of the Icon with different firmware from October. Even back then, it never ran Glance.

I announced on twitter at some point in Nov IIRC that it has been pushed back to Q1. It seems more like a marketing decision, since they basically took a timeframe and pushed it ahead 2-3 months on purpose.

This is basically what I was thinking. For some reason they thought it would be better to launch the Icon in February than to compete head on with the other devices late last year.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Daniel, Thanks for the insight. Do you think Nokia is still putting any effort into Glance support for the Icon, or will 8.1-style notifications be enough to make this a non-issue?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Daniel, Thanks for the insight. Do you think Nokia is still putting any effort into Glance support for the Icon, or will 8.1-style notifications be enough to make this a non-issue?
I haven't heard any updates from this in this regard, but my guess is Nokia wan'ts all their devices on the same page. I mean, Glance on a 1080P OLED screen is probably not a one-off for them, and I imagine they would want to have that supported. But without knowing the exact details of what/why, it's hard to discern.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
With 1080p likely to become the standard for future flagship phones, I wouldn't be surprised if they got it working eventually. I wonder if they will stick with AMOLED or also use LCD randomly like we see with the 1520.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Daniel,

Curious what your thoughts are on the speculation that Verizon asked to have Glance removed from the Icon. I've even seen this on the Nokia forums. It doesn't make any sense to me that Verizon would care whether or not Glance is on the phone, but you have more experience on the, shall we say, idiosyncrasies of the carrier mentality :cool:

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Daniel,

Curious what your thoughts are on the speculation that Verizon asked to have Glance removed from the Icon. I've even seen this on the Nokia forums. It doesn't make any sense to me that Verizon would care whether or not Glance is on the phone, but you have more experience on the, shall we say, idiosyncrasies of the carrier mentality :cool:

This is just silly talk from people looking for any reason to hate on Verizon. The 928 has glance, so why would they pull it from their flagship device? Idiocy.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It has to be the amoled screen, but it doesn't make any sense since I've been using "glance" on amoled screens since 2010 (nokia n8)

It may be the combination of the Amoled screen + the higher screen resolution was causing the battery to drain too fast and Glance was disabled ?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Okay, but why not just use glance on a charging stand then? That would be totally useful, and you wouldn't have to worry about battery drain. I think if it worked they would have offered it, even if it used up the battery. You can always choose to turn it off.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I was a bit disappointed that Glance was turned off. It is a handy feature. However, I got over my disappointment about 5 seconds into own my Icon...maybe less. If you are turning down a phone because of ONE feature, then I think you may be a little fussy. Everything else about the phone kicks the snot out of the competition. It's about time Verizon got a first class Windows Phone; AT&T has been scarfing up the good ones for almost a year now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon