Icon Worth It?

justwar88

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
So I am sure this has been beaten to death dozens of times but I want to get an updated opinion of people with the icon. I am a total phone nerd, in the past year I have had the 822, iPhone 5, HTC Droid DNA, Samsung Note 3 and now I am wanting to get the Icon. Has anybody here compared the camera to the Note 3? I think the Note 3 has a pretty decent camera and I actually love the size but have no problem using a 5". Reason I am wanting to switch is because I have had the Note 3 about 6 months (Way toooooo long if you ask me) and I had to do the device payment plan because I broke my previous phone without insurance and decided to buy one outright. So if I sell the note I can get the Icon for roughly $20 a month on Edge compared to the 50 a month im paying for my note. So any honest valuable input is appreciated!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So I am sure this has been beaten to death dozens of times but I want to get an updated opinion of people with the icon. I am a total phone nerd, in the past year I have had the 822, iPhone 5, HTC Droid DNA, Samsung Note 3 and now I am wanting to get the Icon. Has anybody here compared the camera to the Note 3? I think the Note 3 has a pretty decent camera and I actually love the size but have no problem using a 5". Reason I am wanting to switch is because I have had the Note 3 about 6 months (Way toooooo long if you ask me) and I had to do the device payment plan because I broke my previous phone without insurance and decided to buy one outright. So if I sell the note I can get the Icon for roughly $20 a month on Edge compared to the 50 a month im paying for my note. So any honest valuable input is appreciated!

I've never used the Note 3. And you seem to update your devices way more than I do. My windows phones last for multiple years.

That being said, I love the Nokia Lumia Icon. It's the best phone I've ever used. Beautiful display, snappy OS & processor, camera is killer.

justwar88

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am pretty sure I have an issue with that.. Loved the 822 then my work got me an iphone 5. Sold that a few months after, got the DNA, that was broken beyond repair so I got the note 3. I should probably seek help haha.

Chrono803

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I believe Windows Phones probably have the best cameras on a device from what I've been gathering from all the reviews over the past couple of years. The Icon won't have the best camera (that goes to the Lumia 1020), but at 20MP it isn't a joke.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I believe Windows Phones probably have the best cameras on a device from what I've been gathering from all the reviews over the past couple of years. The Icon won't have the best camera (that goes to the Lumia 1020), but at 20MP it isn't a joke.

I'd love to see the average person attempt to distinguish between photos taken on the 1020, 1520, and Icon. I'd be surprised if people were really able to tell the difference.

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Haven't found any camera comparison between icon and 1020. Would be great to see one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Tom Gjonaj

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
left the note 3 for the icon also. Icon performs better since wp8 is cleaner, games actually load faster and have better frame rates also. I like the icon better, some apps and games are missing from android, but overall its better

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

The Icon has the same camera as the 1520, which is pretty much industry leading apart from the 1020. You'll get some variance in reviews but overall Nokia is very highly regarded in the industry and if you know how to use it you can get results that are as good as a point and shoot camera that's worth about $300 dollars. I've got a 920 and if they released an international version of this 5" phone I'd be tempted to get it. And I don't say that lightly.

Having said this, the current Icon can't display the glance screen which if you like seeing the time, notifications and other useful things without turning the screen on could be a downfall. Other than that and the lack of a bold colour on the shell it's pretty much a great, great phone from what I've seen so far.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have two roommates with a Note 3, I can ask them to do some benchmark/comparisons if you like.

I know the camera is better on the Icon than the Note 3. They couldn't take the following picture in our finished basement without it looking like a mess.

V__7DC1.jpg

This is after I cropped and emailed the picture, so the resolution isn't as good as it really looks.

I used to have this qualm. Then I saw the Nokia Lumia Icon in white. It's absolutely stunning.

Yup, I still wish I got the white model even thought mine is completely covered in a case.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The Icon is an excellent device. I love it, except no Glace, which I wish it had. Also, if you care about microSD, this isn't the phone for you, as there is no slot and only 32GB built in.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I cannot suggest making "the switch" enough. Ive commented on a few other threads, rather than repeat myself, see the below posts on my opinion of this phone:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/268595-convince-me-leave-android.html#post2395152
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...n-review-initial-impressions.html#post2371116

My only con for this phone, is that the screen scratches pretty easy, it seems that the raised almost parabolic nature of the screen has made it susceptible to scratching if its face down without a case, so my suggestion, is to buy a case, or put a screen protector on it - Gorilla Glass my A$$ (yes, I know its not scratch proof, but still)

Richard Zingre

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm with WindTech. I bought the 928 last May. Thought I just had to have the Note 3 so I bought it on the edge program. The Note 3 is fine but the size has been an issue while I'm in the car or trying to use it one handed. I wanted Android so I could listen to xmradio (opie and Anthony) but recently decided to buy that show through Audible (no adds that way). With that decision, Windows Phone has all the other apps I use and I really prefer the interface and operating system of Windows Phone. I even skinned the Note 3 to look like Windows phone and quickly realized that I prefer the real deal. So now I'm back on the 928 and seeing how Windows Phone holds up for a week or two. If I don't miss Android, I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Icon. I love the feel of the Nokia handsest and have had zero problems with all the functions I use. The phone works great, the camera works great, the Bluetooth works better than the Note 3 and the size is working better for me already.

So if I dump the Note 3 I'm gonna have a galaxy gear to sell....

Have a great day boys

justwar88

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Apps aren't a deal breaker for me but I do like to have them available in case I ever want to use them. I usually just use my phone for text,email,web browsing and having my outlook.com email on my note 3 really sucks. It takes forever to load an email, I delete an email and then 30 seconds later it pops up in my inbox as unread. Email is a huge deal for me because I do sales and I send anywhere from 50-70 emails a day and receive just as many, if not more from stupid websites I signed up for for some unknown reason. I love email on WP8 so that is going to be a big push in getting me back to WP in general.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Apps aren't a deal breaker for me but I do like to have them available in case I ever want to use them. I usually just use my phone for text,email,web browsing and having my outlook.com email on my note 3 really sucks. It takes forever to load an email, I delete an email and then 30 seconds later it pops up in my inbox as unread. Email is a huge deal for me because I do sales and I send anywhere from 50-70 emails a day and receive just as many, if not more from stupid websites I signed up for for some unknown reason. I love email on WP8 so that is going to be a big push in getting me back to WP in general.

I'm in sales, and email a lot. I'm finding I'm spending more time handling email from my Icon and less time from my business Outlook account. But the two sync VERY well.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Doing sales has made me cringe pretty much anytime my phone goes off for a new email.

I'm sorry to hear that, haha. I really enjoy my job. I work in plastic so it's a little more technical. I also don't have my phone ding or buzz for email. Only for texts & calls. If it's important, they won't email anyway.

justwar88

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I do technical sales for a liquid filtration company. I am the low man on the totem pole so it is usually people yelling at me that there stuff is shipping late. Hence the cringe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon