Is Wifi terrible on all Icons?

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Mine is horrible. My Internet speed is 150/75 and my router is either 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz. It slow on both and drops the single. The router is two feet away.

Icon
18.80 Mbps / 5.31 Mbps on 5Ghz. 30 ms to Server
2.89 Mbps / 5.25 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz. 41 ms to Server

My MiiX 8.1 update tablet.
14.53 Mbps / 22.11 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz 22 ms to Server
28.62 Mbps / 52.27 Mbps on 5 Ghz 17 ms to Server

My computer to same server
3445070702.png

Last edited:

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Mine seems to be getting worse and worse. I had to change the SSID on my 2.4 and 5 Ghz connections and stay on the 2.4 because the 5 wont work at all on my icon. My laptop, roku, 360 all work fine on the 5.0 connection.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The performance of my WiFi is fast as all hell... but occasionally I have to toggle it on and off to get it to work and it gets quite frustrating. Has to be done probably 3 times a day

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Mines close to 7 times a day, or almost everytime i unlock it!

its fast if im close to the router... seems like my LTE doesnt get the same quality my 928 did either. I'm pretty close to contacting Nokia about it.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up an Icon yesterday to replace my 8x. First thing I did was upgrade to 8.1. WiFi is terrible! 3/4 bars on my 8x when I'm in my garage and Icon doesn't even see my router. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's an 8.1 issue and deal with it assuming future firmware will resolve it. If not this phone is unacceptable.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up an Icon yesterday to replace my 8x. First thing I did was upgrade to 8.1. WiFi is terrible! 3/4 bars on my 8x when I'm in my garage and Icon doesn't even see my router. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's an 8.1 issue and deal with it assuming future firmware will resolve it. If not this phone is unacceptable.

Before you blame the phone. What other Wi-Fi networks are in your neighborhood? You may be getting interference from other Wi-Fi networks.

Do you, or any of your neighbors have cordless phones that are on the 2.4GHz band? You can find apps that will do a wireless survey for you. I was having problems with a few of our devices after moving into a different house. I downloaded and installed an app called inSSIDer 3. I installed it on my Surface Pro so see what the wireless situation was in my neighborhood. I found 17 different Wi-Fi networks within my immediate area (approx. 100 yard radius). All of them running in the 2.4GHz band. That's not including any cordless phones in the neighborhood. To resolve my problems, I upgraded my router to a dual-band router that uses both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz. The Icon is 5.8GHz capable so I've had no problems.

Check to see if your router is dual band capable and enable the 5.8GHz band and try to connect to it.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for trying to help Timothy but I assure you it's the phone. It has terrible WiFi range. I'm in a rural area without any neighboring WiFi. WiFi works great with 3 other phones, 3 different tablets, and a notebook. Same places where coverage is fine on other devices my Icon doesn't even see the router in range. Fingers crossed it's a WP8.1 thing.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that my Icon's WiFi is much less effective than my Nokia Lumia 2520. Have to admit that's really annoying. Anyone else notice this?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I am just here to say that I have no issues with my Xbox One, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, 2 Icons (one belonging to the wife), and 2 PCs being on WiFi, but then again I have like a $130 router.

Good point. I have a higher end dual-band Net Gear router and having no issues. I run all but one device on the 5.8GHz band. I had connection problems with my old single band router. The neighborhood I live in has 17 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks within a 100 yard radius, so I upgraded to a dual-band router and all my connection problems were solved.

So before blaming the phone, take a look at how many other networks are running in the area. Also, cordless phones use 2.4GHz band and microwave ovens also cause interference in that band as well.

For those of you who have a dual-band router, enable the 5.8GHz wireless and connect to that and see what happens. The Icon is 802.11 n/g/b/ac capable. 802.11 n/g/b all run on the 2.4GHz band and 802.11 ac run on 5.8GHz.

RetBchBoy

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from a 928 and there's a big difference in reception. I have both 2G and 5G wireless configured throughout my house. I have no interference with other routers. The phones antenna or software isn't right yet. I keep going back and forth between 2 and 5 and the 2G does get better coverage, of course. I have my 5 set as N + AC and my 2G as Legacy.
I'm not too worried about it because I think a firmware will fix it..... I hope!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for trying to help Timothy but I assure you it's the phone. It has terrible WiFi range. I'm in a rural area without any neighboring WiFi. WiFi works great with 3 other phones, 3 different tablets, and a notebook. Same places where coverage is fine on other devices my Icon doesn't even see the router in range. Fingers crossed it's a WP8.1 thing.

I don't think it's WP8.1, I am on 8.1 as well and not having any problems.

Hounds

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue. I originally had a 925 on TMobile but the cell coverage was poor. I moved to Verizon and ordered an Icon, the coverage is better but the wifi on the Icon is terrible. I'm not sure if it's the phone or the 8.1 preview installed, either way it's pretty bad.

markk132

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Icon for about a month now. Wifi was fine before 8.1, but after I upgraded to 8.1 it's been absolutely awful. It doesn't even connect to my Wireless N network, but it does connect to my crappy Wireless G network but barely. It only stays connected if i'm close to it. I'm assuming its a firmware thing and when the official 8.1 update gets pushed by Verizon, it'll be fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes