Icon since 8.1.1?

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I just picked an Icon on Saturday. Came from a BBZ10 and was close to going back... I really missed some of the features found in BB10. Went ahead and updated to 8.1 and I have a new found love for WP. I've noticed that the wifi signal is a bit weaker, but I still get coverage, no lag. Battery is the same...only issue is a slight lag when unlocking the screen. Other than that, I'm loving 8.1 and I'm. Loving my Icon 😄

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I like my Icon about 1000x better since 8.1. The only issue I had was an occasional delay in the lock screen coming up, which the update a few weeks later fixed.

At the top of the list, the notification center (while not yet perfect) eased my biggest frustration with WP8. This was for me truly the difference between hating my phone and loving it, because I didn't have to leave what I was doing to see what just happened.

It could still be improved. For example, I wish it allowed me to clear individual notifications, such as clearing emails, right from the notification center. If I click on an individual email and swipe, it wants to clear all the notifications. I would like to be able to delete an individual message (or at least clear the notification and mark the email read) with that swipe. Also, if I click on an individual email, see it's unimportant and delete it, why would it take me back to the notification center if there are other unread emails.

That and I do get some use from Cortana, although she is clearly a work in progress. The geofencing thing, for example, takes a while to kick in. I have a short commute from home to work, and it takes me past the dry cleaners, which is about halfway. I asked Cortana to remind me to pick up my dry cleaning next time I was leaving the office. The reminder would faithfully show up as I was arriving home sans dry cleaning. And I wish there was a way to snooze the reminders. I wanted to remind myself to look up a website when I got to the office, and she did remind me, but I couldn't do anything with the phone unless I told her either next time or complete. I just wanted to be reminded in fifteen minutes or so, after I retrieved the number my co-worker was looking for as I arrived.

Small changes all the same, and Microsoft will doubtless be speeding up improvements from this point forward. When I first got my Icon and friends asked me how I liked it, I told them about the things that I liked but couldn't recommend it to anyone with an iPhone or Android because of so many compromises. Now, friends are starting to take a look and I feel much more confident about suggesting they check the Icon out.

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I like my Icon about 1000x better since 8.1. The only issue I had was an occasional delay in the lock screen coming up, which the update a few weeks later fixed.

At the top of the list, the notification center (while not yet perfect) eased my biggest frustration with WP8. This was for me truly the difference between hating my phone and loving it, because I didn't have to leave what I was doing to see what just happened.

It could still be improved. For example, I wish it allowed me to clear individual notifications, such as clearing emails, right from the notification center. If I click on an individual email and swipe, it wants to clear all the notifications. I would like to be able to delete an individual message (or at least clear the notification and mark the email read) with that swipe. Also, if I click on an individual email, see it's unimportant and delete it, why would it take me back to the notification center if there are other unread emails.

That and I do get some use from Cortana, although she is clearly a work in progress. The geofencing thing, for example, takes a while to kick in. I have a short commute from home to work, and it takes me past the dry cleaners, which is about halfway. I asked Cortana to remind me to pick up my dry cleaning next time I was leaving the office. The reminder would faithfully show up as I was arriving home sans dry cleaning. And I wish there was a way to snooze the reminders. I wanted to remind myself to look up a website when I got to the office, and she did remind me, but I couldn't do anything with the phone unless I told her either next time or complete. I just wanted to be reminded in fifteen minutes or so, after I retrieved the number my co-worker was looking for as I arrived.

Small changes all the same, and Microsoft will doubtless be speeding up improvements from this point forward. When I first got my Icon and friends asked me how I liked it, I told them about the things that I liked but couldn't recommend it to anyone with an iPhone or Android because of so many compromises. Now, friends are starting to take a look and I feel much more confident about suggesting they check the Icon out.

+1000! That pretty much summed up my experience. I really wasn't impressed with WP8 when I first hot my Icon. But after upgrading to 8.1, I have a whole new love this device and OS!

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I seldom utilize the notification center. I like it to see the recently auto-updated apps, but otherwise I pretty much get all I need from live tiles. The store app should notify of updates, but maybe it does in 8.1 and I don't see them because I use a small tile for it. Bottom line is that its nice to finally have the flexibility/customization available to suit a wider path of personal preferences...

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Funny, I seldom utilize the notification center. I like it to see the recently auto-updated apps, but otherwise I pretty much get all I need from live tiles. The store app should notify of updates, but maybe it does in 8.1 and I don't see them because I use a small tile for it. Bottom line is that its nice to finally have the flexibility/customization available to suit a wider path of personal preferences...

How about just seeing what time it is when you are in an app, such as IE, that blocks the time from being displayed? Simply swipe down about one inch, peek at the time, and release. I hated to leave the web browser just for a time check. Now I don't have to.

It's the little things in the end that really matter towards user experience.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I use the notification center a lot but Im also coming from android too

Same here. Though I dumped Android back last summer. I guess old habits die hard. Anyway, that is probably why Microsoft chose that type of notification center. To lure Android users to the Dark side.

Btw. I also use the live tiles too. So we get the best of both worlds.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm running 8.1 on my Icon and I am not having issues with WiFi range, my battery life is about the same with 8.0. Also, I do have a second or so lag when I wake the phone. But compared to all of the improvements that 8.1 brings, I can live with that.

So, yes there are people who had or are having problems, but by and large, 8.1 on the Icon seems to be pretty good and a huge improvement over 8.0. Also, Cyan is expected to fix some problems as well. and I'm betting that there will be another small update as they refine the OS (no actual news on that, just my personal assessment). In any case, whether you have stay with the 928 or get an Icon, sometime around June-ish, you'll be getting 8.1 anyway.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...lopers/287382-new-update-8-10-1293-890-a.html

Called it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes