Questions about icon's GPS

stancotreau

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
hello everyone.

I have a few questions regarding the icons gps. First, If I use here drive, or a similar gps such as waze does it use up my data while it runs? Also, which GPS does the majority of you use? and last but not least what phone holders do you use so you can see the gps, I have an Incipio case on the phone so I'd need a holder that works with that

thanks for any answers

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I use Here Drive and it's pretty good. I never noticed how much data it uses but it doesn't seem to be much. If your plan allows for several GB's per month, navigation isn't likely to put a big dent in it. As to car mount, I use this one and I like it. It doesn't have wireless charging built in so if you want that feature, I'm sure someone else will chime in. But if you're looking for a basic one that works well with the case on, the Arkon is a good choice. The clamps are on the top and bottom so it doesn't press the side buttons. I tried another one that had the clamps on the side and I couldn't get it to not press either the power or the volume buttons.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know anything about Waze, but with WP, you can download maps ahead of time on wifi, which means that using Here Drive or Here Maps uses 0 data. GPS sensors alone need no data, they just ping satellites; the only data use comes from having to download map info (like roads and stuff) to make the GPS coordinate actually useful. Thus, Here Drive with predownloaded maps equals a data free navigation system.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I use CoPilot and Nokia's GPS program and like the CoPilot a bit better. Both work well; just a personal preference in the display and the variety of settings offered on the CoPilot.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
hello everyone.

I have a few questions regarding the icons gps. First, If I use here drive, or a similar gps such as waze does it use up my data while it runs? Also, which GPS does the majority of you use? and last but not least what phone holders do you use so you can see the gps, I have an Incipio case on the phone so I'd need a holder that works with that

thanks for any answers

I use Here+ Drive, you can download maps to use off line so you won't use data. If I remember correctly, the Icon comes with the United States preinstalled, however, to save space, I deleted them and just downloaded the maps for Hawaii, since I don't think I'm going to be driving to California anytime soon. :-D

As for car docks, I use the Nokia CR-200, it has wireless Qi charging and NFC tag built in. Nokia updated it and it is called CR-200 updated. It also has a really good suction cup that stays put even on textured dashes.

I have the Incipio Dual Pro case and it protects the phone and it doesn't add a lot of bulk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes