06-23-2014 06:33 PM
49 12
tools
    What is this "Goldfinger" thing? The only references I've found are from back in Nov/Dec 2013. None of which seem to be accurate based on what is current; meaning the first three phones to come with WP8.1 pre-installed are the 930, 635 and the 630. As far as non-Nokia/Microsoft branded devices, I've heard of a new Samsung, HTC, and possible a Sony model. But none of them would be codenamed, "Goldfinger."

Is the 930 supposed to be "Goldfinger"?
    Essentially it's supposed to be some sort of a high-end phone with a 3D gesture control system among other cutting-edge technology. It was originally slated to be one of the first WP8.1 devices, but has since been delayed for reasons speculated to be that the technology wasn't ready for market yet.

So it seems like the Goldfinger was originally intended to be the 930, but was replaced with the 929/Icon when the Goldfinger didn't meet the deadline.
    gernerttl likes this.
    05-30-2014 04:26 PM
    Essentially it's supposed to be some sort of a high-end phone with a 3D gesture control system among other cutting-edge technology. It was originally slated to be one of the first WP8.1 devices, but has since been delayed for reasons speculated to be that the technology wasn't ready for market yet.

So it seems like the Goldfinger was originally intended to be the 930, but was replaced with the 929/Icon when the Goldfinger didn't meet the deadline.
    Bingo, so you have options. Do you want to stick with the 920 until Goldfinger, or do you want to obtain the Icon / 930 (not sure when it'll come to Canada, and I'm not even sure when the Icon will even leave Verizon) now, or very soon? At the moment, we can only speculate what the Goldfinger will hold, but the 930 / Icon is real. The call's your's, but that 3D gesture control, which has been a part of the rumor since day one, does scream "Get me!" to me. ;)
    05-30-2014 05:54 PM
    Bingo, so you have options. Do you want to stick with the 920 until Goldfinger, or do you want to obtain the Icon / 930 (not sure when it'll come to Canada, and I'm not even sure when the Icon will even leave Verizon) now, or very soon? At the moment, we can only speculate what the Goldfinger will hold, but the 930 / Icon is real. The call's your's, but that 3D gesture control, which has been a part of the rumor since day one, does scream "Get me!" to me. ;)
    I already have an Icon. I was curious about Goldfinger, since this thread was the first I've heard of it. But 3D gesture control DOES sound interesting. It's something that Samsung is working on too with its Galaxy phones. I think they tried an early version on the GS4. I'm not sure if they are still working on it though. I dumped my GN2 back in Aug.
    05-30-2014 09:28 PM

Much grass senor. :-D
    Beijendorf likes this.
    05-30-2014 09:33 PM
    bad idea... WPCentral says that goldfinger will only be revealed next year..
    05-30-2014 11:04 PM
    Yea, I don't want to wait long...I'm getting a black Icon and I'm gonna try to figure out how to remove the backplate and wait until the backplates for orange 930s are available somewhere and see if I can slap it on for a "custom" black and orange Lumia :)
    06-01-2014 05:44 AM
    Yea, I don't want to wait long...I'm getting a black Icon and I'm gonna try to figure out how to remove the backplate and wait until the backplates for orange 930s are available somewhere and see if I can slap it on for a "custom" black and orange Lumia :)
    It's extremely unlikely that Microsoft would let Q3-Q4 2014 pass by and only have the Icon/929 available in the US and the 930 available in the rest of the world as far as high-end phones go. The Icon/929 was slanted for release in late November-early December 2013 but was delayed because of Verizon. I don't think even Nokia/Microsoft see the 929/930 as their future-proofed and popular 2014 flagship.

There'll be something new before 2015, so if you go for the Icon, make sure it's the phone you truly want first.
    06-01-2014 05:54 AM
    06-01-2014 08:32 AM
    Cool prospect. OP specifically said he did not want a none-Nokia device.
    06-01-2014 10:04 AM
    I'm currently thinking of giving my 920 to my sister (thus converting 2 family members to WP ) and buying myself an Icon (no use waiting for a 930 or importing). However, I'm not sure if it would be wiser to wait for "Goldfinger" to come out or not. I live in Canada, so WP is very scarce up here. IF "Goldfinger" is even real, I'm afraid that it'll be released around the end of the year and only come to Canada a few months into 2015 if at all.

I like my 920, but I'm growing tired of it and want something more future proof and classier than a red glossy Lumia.

What do you guys think?
    920 is future proof already, it's going to work just fine with 8.1, and it's not even 2 yrs old, which means you just got bored of it. You'll probably want to replace the 930 when new phones come out because you'll want the latest and flashy.
    Any current flagship is as future proof as your desire for new things :)
    And since all we know about 'Goldfinger' is the name itself, I'll say go for 930/Icon (it's the same phone anyway, except 930 is orange), except for 1520 there's not much other choice. Ativ SE is supposed to be great too, and there's rumors of HTC W8 (like M8 but WP, I presume), so you might wanna check that out.
    If you want a new phone, get the current best, waiting is quite useless because there's a new device released every month almost. Especially now that WP is free and there's plenty of new OEMs building them. Of course if you want to stick to Nokia (I won't blame you for that), the choice is limited, since 930 just started selling.
    06-01-2014 11:56 AM
    If you're getting the itch now, it's going to be a LONG wait til Goldfinger. No one knows what Goldfinger will bring, so its tough to say.

Unfortunately, not a strong year for high end Lumia devices compared to last year, it seems. Hopefully OEM's pull through, for WP's sake.
    06-01-2014 12:03 PM
    920 is future proof already, it's going to work just fine with 8.1, and it's not even 2 yrs old, which means you just got bored of it. You'll probably want to replace the 930 when new phones come out because you'll want the latest and flashy.
    Any current flagship is as future proof as your desire for new things :)
    And since all we know about 'Goldfinger' is the name itself, I'll say go for 930/Icon (it's the same phone anyway, except 930 is orange), except for 1520 there's not much other choice. Ativ SE is supposed to be great too, and there's rumors of HTC W8 (like M8 but WP, I presume), so you might wanna check that out.
    If you want a new phone, get the current best, waiting is quite useless because there's a new device released every month almost. Especially now that WP is free and there's plenty of new OEMs building them. Of course if you want to stick to Nokia (I won't blame you for that), the choice is limited, since 930 just started selling.
    2 years is ages in the world of technology. Yes the 920 is great and it's the phone I've owned longest and loved the most, but I want to replace it because it's a little beaten up, I'd like a full HD screen, and I'd like more up to date processors all packed into something I find more attractive...I also prefer OLED to LCD and the camera and 5" screen are great too...It'll just be an even better experience overall. I'm not just bored of it and I don't need to be flashy. I just want something more up to date. I was considering waiting for Goldfinger because it would probably be the next true flagship and possibly the first Microsoft-Nokia phone and possibly something worth waiting for...but I do like the Icon/930 and how much better could GF be if it even actually exists. And like I said, I'm not interested in other OEMs although I am excited to see what's different with Nokia phones now that Microsoft is behind the wheel.
    06-02-2014 12:23 AM
    Suddenly you need to change the title to "Icon or McLaren?".
    Any new thoughts since the roadmap got leaked revealing the hero-device everyone have been waiting for coming in November?
    06-06-2014 03:11 PM
    I'm interested in this McLaren if it exists. I'd like to see the screen size though--hope it's 5"+
    06-06-2014 03:23 PM
    I'm interested in this McLaren if it exists. I'd like to see the screen size though--hope it's 5"+
    The larger they make the screen, the larger they can make the battery without having to worry about complaints of thickness or bezels. If it has a 3D-touch technology (and perhaps even the Pelican Imaging light-field camera?) it's going to need a large battery. I'd say it's pretty safe to say this Lumia is going to follow the trend of larger screens.
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    06-06-2014 03:34 PM
    At least they didn't name it "Goldmember." Though that would be kinda funny.
    06-06-2014 05:12 PM
    Definitely looking past the icon at this point can't wait to see how the McLaren looks
    06-07-2014 03:04 PM
    It's funny, If your a Verizon customer, you know what it's like to wait for a phone by now(esp if your a Windows Phone fan). With this being said, If your waiting for the next phone because of new features or specs, as soon as the next phone comes out, there will be rumors about the NEXT big phone.

With the next Nokia high end phone not rumored till hit till Nov, You might as welll get the ICON or you will always be waiting for the next big thing...
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    06-09-2014 08:37 AM
    It's funny, If your a Verizon customer, you know what it's like to wait for a phone by now(esp if your a Windows Phone fan). With this being said, If your waiting for the next phone because of new features or specs, as soon as the next phone comes out, there will be rumors about the NEXT big phone.

With the next Nokia high end phone not rumored till hit till Nov, You might as welll get the ICON or you will always be waiting for the next big thing...
    It's just the same people over and over again. They continually post about how they don't want the Icon so that they can convince themselves they don't want it long enough to get the next phone. In the mean while, all of the Icon users that actually use this subsection have to put up with nay-sayers posts.

Really a shame...
    06-09-2014 11:22 AM
    In the mean while, all of the Icon users that actually use this subsection have to put up with nay-sayers posts.

Really a shame...
    You do realize you're posting in a thread specifically labeled "Icon or 'Goldfinger'"? I don't have any evidence of it, but I don't think anyone held a gun to your head and forced you to open this thread up.

It's just the same people over and over again. They continually post about how they don't want the Icon so that they can convince themselves they don't want it long enough to get the next phone.
    I do believe there are quite a few in here who have been discussing the pros and cons of the Icon/930, discussed why it was released as late as it was and the advantage of waiting for the 'Hero'-device. So we're holding a decent coversation while your post is off-topic and unhelpful to the thread.
    06-09-2014 12:09 PM
    Suddenly you need to change the title to "Icon or McLaren?".
    Any new thoughts since the roadmap got leaked revealing the hero-device everyone have been waiting for coming in November?

Nope, I'm still getting an Icon. I've actually already ordered it and it should be here in 4-6 days! It's funny though...news came out about this McLaren device less than 24 hours after my Icon was purchased and shipped out...

Anyways, I'm excited for the Icon and I'm happy with my decision to get it now rather than wait until I could get my hands on a McLaren...I probably will end up getting one if it really is worthy of the "hero device" title but not until the time is right for me.

Judging by the fact that it's on so many US carriers at launch makes it seem as though it really will be a big deal. Hopefully this McLaren will make people take Windows phone seriously :)
    Beijendorf likes this.
    06-09-2014 12:28 PM
    It's just the same people over and over again. They continually post about how they don't want the Icon so that they can convince themselves they don't want it long enough to get the next phone. In the mean while, all of the Icon users that actually use this subsection have to put up with nay-sayers posts.

Really a shame...
    I learned my lesson when I was much younger...My PC was getting old, so I was waiting for the new CPUs to come out to build a new computer, so as soon as those hit, the rumors hit and I waited again....Then they hit, then the rumors for the NEWER chip....

I waited almost a year and 1/2 to upgrade a 4 year old PC..... here I was trying to play games...

If your waiting for the next new thing, you will always be waiting for it and never get one....

You do realize you're posting in a thread specifically labeled "Icon or 'Goldfinger'"? I don't have any evidence of it, but I don't think anyone held a gun to your head and forced you to open this thread up.
    And YET it was still opened in the ICON area, mainly about "goldfinger" It should be in upcoming rumored device.

And with Every device (look if you don't believe me), we get these same posts, Get this phone or the next one that is coming out in X months....Same crap...
    06-10-2014 11:44 AM
    Why post in the thread or read it at all then? Every thread we get these same posts, "I don't like the topic of this thread but I'm going to post in it and rant for no reason"... Same crap...

I never said I don't like the Icon. I simply wanted to know the opinions of others and I'm getting the Icon.
    06-11-2014 12:57 PM
    Why post in the thread or read it at all then? Every thread we get these same posts, "I don't like the topic of this thread but I'm going to post in it and rant for no reason"... Same crap...

I never said I don't like the Icon. I simply wanted to know the opinions of others and I'm getting the Icon.
    The funny thing is, You posted this in the WRONG area. This should of been in the "Upcoming or Rumored device" And yes, I have a valid reason, I've been here a lot longer than you (at least on post count), so I guess posting in the wrong place is semi-acceptable(depending on what the mods say).

Every phone, ever model, is the same thread.....AKA: Should I get the current model or wait for the <upcoming rumored> devices.

So yea, it's been done on almost every phone on every thread, even the iPhone threads. Yea, it's old...

And I am not sure how you can get a honest opinion of people on a device that is only a rumor at this point, even a solid rumor of features on the device is not out yet.

Yea, the ICON is a nice phone, no question....It's the best you can get right now in a Windows Phone device UNLESS you desire a 6" display on the 1320 on AT&T (a hair better due to better battery life). It's really hard to compare it to a phone that is just a rumor.
    06-23-2014 06:33 PM
49 12