Okay, four days in, and I am becoming concerned. I have started to have battery problems that I never had with PFD. Yesterday, my phone shut down completely on me. I went to restart it and it displayed the empty battery logo. I have an external battery stick I bought when I got the phone (the battery is tiny for the specs of the equipment), and as soon as it connected, the phone restarted.

When powered up, I checked the battery level and it showed 52%! Clearly it did not flash charge, it simply wasn't reporting a charge when one existed.

I have experienced other "flash drains" that didn't shut the phone down, but in no case did the phone heat up. I don't believe that the battery is actually draining. I think there's something wrong with the algorithm that measures the battery level.

Is anyone else having this issue?
    Open up Battery Sense and check out what is running in the background. When you upgraded, Battery Sense reset to factory and it is allowing pretty much ANY app that can run in the background. I have several that I had to go back and turn off.
    02-15-2015 09:34 PM
    Open up Battery Sense and check out what is running in the background. When you upgraded, Battery Sense reset to factory and it is allowing pretty much ANY app that can run in the background. I have several that I had to go back and turn off.
    My battery situation isn't anything near what is happening to the guy you were replying to, but I was just wondering what exactly needs the ability to run in the background? It looks like Internet Explorer is my highest background use offender, followed by 6tag and then twitter. I presume Cortana has to be able to, or else she won't function correctly?
    02-15-2015 09:52 PM
    My battery situation isn't anything near what is happening to the guy you were replying to, but I was just wondering what exactly needs the ability to run in the background? It looks like Internet Explorer is my highest background use offender, followed by 6tag and then twitter. I presume Cortana has to be able to, or else she won't function correctly?
    Yes, you are correct, Cortana needs to be running in the background for "Hey Cortana" to work. As for what is "needed" that is entirely up to you. I found apps running in the background that I felt didn't need to be running.
    02-15-2015 10:00 PM
    Background apps don't seem to drain too much battery for me, the insane battery drain when actively using FB Messenger, Messages or disqus.com is much, much worse. It quickly shoots up to 50-60%, if I am out and use FB Messenger for example. I have no idea if this is typical on smartphones but it seems crazy.
    02-16-2015 08:07 AM
    Very true and well said. But not only does one pay for the phone service and performance, but as well as customer service and giving their customers top of the line specs. I respect your opinion and we all purchase things for different reasons, but for me it is hard to support a company who keeps me in the dark the way they did. They just do not care about Windows phones and it is quite frustrating.
    I agree that we are paying for customer support as well. I just dont see this as not providing customer support. What could they have possibly said other then shoot themselves in the foot? No matter what they could have claimed or said people will still be pissed, sometimes for a business silence is the best course until you have good news. To me as long as they dont say "this update will not be coming" (which they would have said if that was the case) to me it means they are working on it. Maybe they were not staffing as many people as say an android update (which we dont know is the case). We have what 3% of VZW's market share? can you really expect more then 3% of their resources dedicated to it? ATT was first with cyan, we were first with Denim, we were also the first to get Black. If ATT doesn't release Denim by May, will we have people ******** and threatening to leave? Of course.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion, this is just mine.
    02-16-2015 09:42 AM
    I don't think it was malicious. I think they didn't care one bit about devoting ANY resources to getting the update out, I KNOW they ditched the phone as soon as they could without giving any reassurance as to support or updates, and then never said a single word about it to anyone, after they failed to deliver an update that literally every other carrier in the world had sent out to phones that Microsoft approved for the update.
    You can't possibly "KNOW" that, you may feel that way, but you cant KNOW that.

And that's not even mentioning how they treated me when I wanted to BECOME a customer, not offering any of their Windows Phone models for sale in the first three stores I went to.

I don't have to speculate about malice to know they treated me as a customer they couldn't care less about. I have no desire to support that business, unless they clean up their act.
    Were you going to VZW corporate stores or "authorized retailers". I know that all corporate stores had Windows phones and were even pushing them, becuase that was the corporate directive... Authorized Retailers do not have to carry the same phones and most of them dont. I had to go to a corporate store to get my Icon, VZW cant control what phones these stores stock, its up to them. Best Buy doesn't carry VZW windows phones either...

Maybe I'm just more understanding, IDK. With my experience being basically the same as yours. I do not feel the same way.

Too each his own :)
    aximtreo likes this.
    02-16-2015 09:49 AM
    we waited 9 months for an update, with not one word from Verizon of why it was delayed

I don't care if it was malicious or not but waiting almost a full calendar year for an update is ridiculous even by Verizon standards imho

I am going to shop around when my contract comes due, I find a better or comparable WP flagship on another carrier I will not have any problem jumping ship because I have no interest of going through another Icon situation with another flagship WP on a carrier that has showed no interest in the WP platform
    To be fair, we waited like 3 months since Denim was announced.

They skipped Cyan, At this point would you have rather got Cyan and waited until around May to get Denim? They had to make a decision... I think they made the right one.

I totally get shopping around, I probably will too, just because that's what any consumer should do... But this could have happened on any carrier, and does happen on all of them at some point.
    02-16-2015 09:57 AM
    To be fair, we waited like 3 months since Denim was announced.

They skipped Cyan, At this point would you have rather got Cyan and waited until around May to get Denim? They had to make a decision... I think they made the right one.

I totally get shopping around, I probably will too, just because that's what any consumer should do... But this could have happened on any carrier, and does happen on all of them at some point.
    would I have wanted to get Cyan back in April/May 2014 instead of waiting 9 months stuck on Black/8.0 or DP to get Denim first? I would have liked to have had Cyan along with all the features it added from Black months ago, it would have made a wait for Denim much more tolerable imho

if you are more understanding of the way Verizon treated us Icon customers and the WP platform in general for the past year and think it is just business as usual for a carrier that is fine and you are welcome to your opinion but for me the way Verizon treated us Icon customers for the last year was unacceptable
    MikeSo likes this.
    02-16-2015 10:45 AM
    You can't possibly "KNOW" that, you may feel that way, but you cant KNOW that.
    Except for the possibility that 7 months after launch wasn't technically "as soon as they could" stop selling the Icon (perhaps they could have stopped after 4 or 5 months?), everything else was what we KNOW, not what I feel.

Were you going to VZW corporate stores or "authorized retailers". I know that all corporate stores had Windows phones and were even pushing them, becuase that was the corporate directive... Authorized Retailers do not have to carry the same phones and most of them dont. I had to go to a corporate store to get my Icon, VZW cant control what phones these stores stock, its up to them. Best Buy doesn't carry VZW windows phones either...
    The first two were Verizon stores but they were independently operated, then it was a mall store, and then their corporate store. I assume that none of the others are MANDATED to sell WP, but I also know that if Verizon really cared they would give incentives for these stores to sell it. Let's not forget that these are EXCLUSIVES to Verizon, so nobody else could sell them without Verizon's approval. It's entirely on Verizon to get these phones out, and they simply didn't care.
    02-16-2015 10:49 AM
    TAt this point would you have rather got Cyan and waited until around May to get Denim?
    Absolutely. The Black -> Cyan update was crucial - that's where 8.0 was updated to 8.1 and where the hardware was matched to the software (enabling Fitbit and Sensor Core). The Icon would probably have been a competitive phone with Cyan/8.1 on it. Not having this was a no go. Cyan to Denim was a much lesser update, and would have been much more tolerable to wait for, especially if Verizon had actually bothered to communicate.
    jazz70 likes this.
    02-16-2015 10:53 AM
    Well cyan wasn't even sent to the carriers for testing until July, and wasnt on any US carriers until Sept, soo IDK how you would have got it in may... I know we knew about it but absolutely no one had it. There was obviously issues, I DO NOT believe they would hold an update back without reason. If it would have passed testing it would have came out. To me it's not on Verizon to communicate this to me either, its on Microsoft. Which they did when they changed the status from in testing to under development. What more do you need?

I agree with the phone getting discontinued sucks, but again it was a business decision. If it wasnt selling anymore, and they were low on stock, why keep it around?

I know it's been said many times around here but I have to say it again. You don't buy a phone on the promise of what it can be, you buy it for what it is. You cant expect anything more than that. IMHO.

I would have loved a little more information as to why the update was delayed, but i dont feel like they owe i too me. I prefer both VZW and M$ to work together to fix it rather then they point fingers at each other, which is what would have happened if either one of them started giving reasons.
    02-16-2015 11:19 AM
    I say we should close this thread, so we can move on and enjoy Denim.

All in favor say, "aye!"
    fredd, nunyazz, wpfan2be and 1 others like this.
    02-16-2015 11:23 AM

All in favor say, "aye!"
    I've been enjoying denim while this thread is still going. Just haven't been posting in it. Life is good.
    MikeSo and DavidinCT like this.
    02-16-2015 11:26 AM
    I'm enjoying it as we speak! Even if the thread is still open. :)

Can't wait for Windows 10 on my Icon though. I have it on the 635 and the speech-to-text everywhere is an awesome function... Hey, Verizon, what can we expect? Haha.
    02-16-2015 11:40 AM
    Aye'
    02-16-2015 11:41 AM
    still waiting on an answer from a Microsoft Mobility employee about why we don't have double tap to wake

I am really enjoying the new features of Denim and can live without it if we never get an answer but it would be icing on the cake if we did get double tap to wake
    02-16-2015 11:59 AM
    still waiting on an answer from a Microsoft Mobility employee about why we don't have double tap to wake

I am really enjoying the new features of Denim and can live without it if we never get an answer but it would be icing on the cake if we did get double tap to wake
    I've held out for double tap to wake for as long as i've had the phone. If it was coming, it was coming with Denim. It's time to throw in the flag on that feature, as far as i'm concerned.
    02-16-2015 12:07 PM
    My observations:

The camera in this thing is now all it should be and never was until this update. There is practically zero shutter lag. If nothing else, that's where the real benefit of Denim is.

Hey Cortana is flaky at best. I'm sure it will get better but I'm not finding to be very good. Wifi is a bit better but it's still not all that great.

No difference in battery life but I was happy with it as it was.
    02-16-2015 12:30 PM
    Background apps don't seem to drain too much battery for me, the insane battery drain when actively using FB Messenger, Messages or disqus.com is much, much worse. It quickly shoots up to 50-60%, if I am out and use FB Messenger for example. I have no idea if this is typical on smartphones but it seems crazy.
    Ha! I feel ya. You should try Microsoft Solitaire Collection! That game sucks my battery down so fast, not to mention makes my phone run hot, and I can't figure out why. That's why I seldom play it anymore. :(
    02-16-2015 12:31 PM
    Hey Cortana is flaky at best. I'm sure it will get better but I'm not finding to be very good..
    I have problems with Hey Cortana when the battery gets down below 50%. I have battery saver turned on though, so that might make a difference. Are you trying to use her at full charge or at the end of the day?
    02-16-2015 12:37 PM

All in favor say, "aye!"
    Agreed ! Move on to the next waiting game for the ICON ?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...on-thread.html
    gernerttl and MikeSo like this.
    02-16-2015 02:38 PM
    I think I have been having issues with my phone ringing now. So far about half the calls I receive my phone will actually ring. They all show the call, but sometimes just wont play the ringtone. I have gone through quiet hours and made sure my ringer was on for all of these and still not working all the time. Going to investigate further, but its getting kinda annoying. Anybody else have similar issues?
    02-16-2015 03:00 PM
    I think I have been having issues with my phone ringing now. So far about half the calls I receive my phone will actually ring. They all show the call, but sometimes just wont play the ringtone. I have gone through quiet hours and made sure my ringer was on for all of these and still not working all the time. Going to investigate further, but its getting kinda annoying. Anybody else have similar issues?
    Do you have Gestures Beta loaded on your phone? That could be the culprit.
    02-16-2015 03:12 PM
    I have problems with Hey Cortana when the battery gets down below 50%. I have battery saver turned on though, so that might make a difference. Are you trying to use her at full charge or at the end of the day?
    Fully charged.
    02-16-2015 03:30 PM
    Aye!
    02-16-2015 03:35 PM
2,618 ... 101102103104105