Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Get it right? It was right as proven by every other carrier. This about Verizon pulling a stunt to prove who's in charge without caring about their customers.

HarrBear

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
So make a good reason to use preview for developers now isn't it.
I got everything "almost" that Denim has to offer
Hay Cortana , no , but that's going to be a battery drainer anyways. nice but not needed.
Fast camera action, no, would be nice to have , but can live without it.
The rest of the stuff, Action center, live folders, VPN, device hub, data sense, storage sense, alarm snooze time, are all there and working, I am not sure what Verizon could add, who cares about there apps. I rather Verizon take there time and get it right. for my Icon is just right.

Live folders are really nice. Not going to lie.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I'm having difficulty buying that Cyan's incompatibility with Verizon apps is holding back the WP 8.1/Cyan update for the Lumia devices and WP 8.1 for the 8X and ATIV SE. At it's current level of explanation, it's patently ridiculous on so many levels that it doesn't hold up.

That being said, I'm so glad that there are other, more pressing things going on in my life or else this would've caused me to internet rage like so many others are.

Dradzk

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Recently picked up an Icon off eBay. Updated it with the developer's preview, then reset everything. Re-updated it, then noticed it now says I have Denim. Is my phone acting goofy, or is this legit? Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to post a link, but if anyone wants they can pm me for a link to the screenshot.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Dradzk

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Ahh. I was subsequently digging around in the "About" section and saw that the firmware number there was different. Sorry for the confusion.

gamefrick

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I know I pray we can get it before this year runs out. Its so not unfair, I got this Icon believing it was the next best WP, but now it seems we are behind cuz we don't have the latest updates.

I wonder how difficult it is to get these updates waiting on our phone for us to download as Apple does with iOS. All Apple devices await the download of iOS8 for instance.

​smh

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
After years of exclusivity with AT&T and being highly in demand, the made an agreement with Verizon that Verizon must immediately approve all updates without delay or testing. Verizon still has to approve them because its CDMA. Verizon had to either agree or risk losing millions of customers to AT&T for forever. Microsoft doesn't have this kind of power in the mobile world. Samsung didn't, but probably does, however they haven't tried to change anything.

I know I pray we can get it before this year runs out. Its so not unfair, I got this Icon believing it was the next best WP, but now it seems we are behind cuz we don't have the latest updates.

I wonder how difficult it is to get these updates waiting on our phone for us to download as Apple does with iOS. All Apple devices await the download of iOS8 for instance.

​smh

Obsidial

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm checking out of the whole thing. I used to have a "Home Phone Connect" (my wife HAS to have a home phone) and used it's upgrade to get the Icon on an EDGE plan. Fortunately, it was right when the Icon was released, so I can "EDGE UP" and switch to a regular 2 year plan if I've paid 50% of my device off (which I have)...so it's bye bye Icon.

Honestly this is something I'd rather not do, I really like Windows Phone and Nokia hardware, but I can't put up with crap like this anymore. I want to leave that poor dead horse alone :(

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm checking out of the whole thing. I used to have a "Home Phone Connect" (my wife HAS to have a home phone) and used it's upgrade to get the Icon on an EDGE plan. Fortunately, it was right when the Icon was released, so I can "EDGE UP" and switch to a regular 2 year plan if I've paid 50% of my device off (which I have)...so it's bye bye Icon.

Honestly this is something I'd rather not do, I really like Windows Phone and Nokia hardware, but I can't put up with crap like this anymore. I want to leave that poor dead horse alone :(

I'm thinking of edging up to the Droid turbo. The camera is pulling on me though.

Jon Hemphill

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
On listening to this week's Windows Weekly, Paul Thurrott mentions that he's not surprised that Microsoft doesn't release the firmware update via the Developer Preview program. I wonder why Microsoft hasn't done this already. This would bypass VZW's demands that their bloatware works flawlessly on the Windows Phones and would make a lot of Icon users happy...

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Even if they did do that, it would probably only be available on GSM devices so we still get screwed.
On listening to this week's Windows Weekly, Paul Thurrott mentions that he's not surprised that Microsoft doesn't release the firmware update via the Developer Preview program. I wonder why Microsoft hasn't done this already. This would bypass VZW's demands that their bloatware works flawlessly on the Windows Phones and would make a lot of Icon users happy...

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
As much as I'd love to burn Verizon for not releasing the update, I'm not sure it's their fault. The W8 has Cyan and apparently works as Verizon wanted. So, either Verizon is asking for something different or there really might be an issue. Now, I'd still say the VZW software is worthless and they should dump it, but I think there might be more than we understand going on here. The question I have is, why did it take VZW so long to reject the update? So I guess indirectly they are to blame for how long it's taking.

All this makes me wonder if there might be a sliver of a possibility that they will go straight to demim? We are far enough down the road that I could actually see it as possible, but this is Verizon...so probably not.

I don't want to sound pissy, but this CYAN is FIRMWARE, NOT SOFTWARE. Windows 8.1 is available to everyone. CYAN is for LUMIA ONLY. HTC and M8 (not W8) has their own FIRMWARE. They cannot have CYAN. This has been written about many times. Confusion in this endless list of names is easy.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
After years of exclusivity with AT&T and being highly in demand, the made an agreement with Verizon that Verizon must immediately approve all updates without delay or testing. Verizon still has to approve them because its CDMA. Verizon had to either agree or risk losing millions of customers to AT&T for forever. Microsoft doesn't have this kind of power in the mobile world. Samsung didn't, but probably does, however they haven't tried to change anything.

I don't know why you are so hung up on this CDMA thing. There's nothing magical or exotic about CDMA that makes it harder to update firmware on a CDMA phone than on a GSM phone. Microsoft could release firmware if they wanted to.

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
After years of exclusivity with AT&T and being highly in demand, the made an agreement with Verizon that Verizon must immediately approve all updates without delay or testing. Verizon still has to approve them because its CDMA. .

This simply isn't true Apple software goes thought the same carrier testing and approval that all the other brands do, they just make sure all the carriers are done testing before they announce the update. Though given Apple's clout I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't demand the carriers be done testing by a certain date.

Here is an article that describes the way carrier testing works and one part to notice is the section on how they prioritize that testing. I am sure Verizon sets the priority of Windows Phones just below the 5 year old Blackberrys

Why Android Updates Are So Slow

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why you are so hung up on this CDMA thing. There's nothing magical or exotic about CDMA that makes it harder to update firmware on a CDMA phone than on a GSM phone. Microsoft could release firmware if they wanted to.

He's hung up on it because there is something different between GSM and CDMA that is important to the discussion. In fact, no Microsoft cannot release the firmware on their own. The CDMA protocol used cryptographic keys to control devices (not just phones, but pretty much any device, including repeater hardware) that are allowed on the network. Microsoft does not have the right, legally or contractually, to embed those keys into the firmware. In fact, I don't think Verizon does the embedding either, I believe Qualcomm controls the keys. GSM, on the other hand, is a more open standard.

Spirk

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I was I able to put my SIM card into my Nexus 7 and get service before Verizon started selling them. Is the CDMA key contained on the SIM card?

Neil Hinkle

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I was I able to put my SIM card into my Nexus 7 and get service before Verizon started selling them. Is the CDMA key contained on the SIM card?
Depending oh which version of the Nexus 7 you have it may have already had the correct bands in it and that enabled it to use the the sim card properly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes