Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I work for Microsoft and I know people internally who are testing it. I can't say much since what i say could (and shouldn't) be construed as "official", but trust me it really is close.

Any idea where it stands with AT&T. They haven't released it either and the 1520.3 hasn't seen Denim either.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
From Ed Bott on Twitter this morning:

Ed Bott ‏@edbott 4h4 hours ago
@idguy @thurrott @tomwarren I had a nice chat w/ @joebelfiore last night. Got some background on the Icon issue and expect update soon.

Reading the whole conversation made me less excited.

Ed Bott ‏@edbott ? 44m44 minutes ago
@Letter_T Not sure how to answer that. ☺ I got the impression that the situation is about to be settled.

"Situation" ... :straight:

Eric Hamilton

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Lets face it. The ICON is never going to get another update. No 8.1 no 8.1.1 no 10. Nothing, nadda.. zip, zero, zilch, goose egg. That's my story and I am sticking to it. It is an easy story because it is true. Verizon does not care, they won't ever care and they can't wait till Windows Phone is a foot note in the mobile phone history books. A bump in the road, a slight detour from the main road filled with Apple and Google.

Sad, but true.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Crack head Verizon just sent me a New Years resolutions email. And it tells me to start using Cortana.. Wha? And the email has my device and 4 last digits of my phone number at the bottom of the email. So, they know I have an ICON and suggest that I use Cortana. Well, that is another slap in the face!

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Crack head Verizon just sent me a New Years resolutions email. And it tells me to start using Cortana.. Wha? And the email has my device and 4 last digits of my phone number at the bottom of the email. So, they know I have an ICON and suggest that I use Cortana. Well, that is another slap in the face!
Hey now... Crack heads are much more respectable than Verizon reps. Does the Icon image have Cortana on it? If so, does it reference the DP in order to get it.

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Okay, devil's advocate, at least most phones don't have denim yet. And by that I mean real denim, not just the OS update and the name. Again, playing devil's advocate, maybe the cyan firmware didn't play nicely with the CDMA radios and by the time they had a fix, denim was so close they just decided to bundle it. It's unlikely, but I'm just trying to remain optimistic.

ryger48

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I think it's really too bad that you have this frame of mind. The fact of the matter is that it's already been announced, and confirmed among major cellular carriers including Verizon, that this update will be arriving in early February. So be a little more patient, because the Icon will be getting Cortana in the next few weeks.

As for everyone railing against Verizon, keep in mind that they do all of this, for YOU. They want the experience that a customer gets to be so phenomenal, and bug-free, that they test the crap out of not only software updates, but new phones in general, to make sure it lives up to their standards. This is so that when you do finally get the new phone, or the update, you won't have to go through all kinds of hassle because something was overlooked and now your phone isn't working and as a result you've missed an important business call, etc. Is it sucky to have to wait? Sure it is. But would I rather a top-notch, properly working bug-free product? Definitely. It's like when a gaming company delays the launch of their new game so they can work out the bugs they found. Gamers hate having to wait longer, but when the game finally launches and it's a gorgeous game with little to no issues, it was SO worth the wait.

[End of rant]

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Lets face it. The ICON is never going to get another update. No 8.1 no 8.1.1 no 10. Nothing, nadda.. zip, zero, zilch, goose egg. That's my story and I am sticking to it. It is an easy story because it is true. Verizon does not care, they won't ever care and they can't wait till Windows Phone is a foot note in the mobile phone history books. A bump in the road, a slight detour from the main road filled with Apple and Google.

Sad, but true.

Comments like these give me cancer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon