Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Sandman2749

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Nice to see that the tech world is consistent at least.

I have been with Android for years (since HTC Legend) and there was always this huge wait for the next magical update.
I switch to Windows Phone because I wanted a change and picked the Icon because of the screen, processor and camera.
Lo and behold I get to play the waiting game here too. :)

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
This thread simply demonstrates shy Microsoft is facing an uphill battle making windows Phone relevant. Anyone who is on page 78 of the denim thread is a loyal Microsoft customer. Overly loyal, perhaps, but clearly the folks that Microsoft needs to have in their camp. This is the most diehard band of folks left on the platform. We invested in the flagship phone, the Icon, and expected that we would be treated as such. Granted, Windows Phone is a niche product at the moment, but so is a Land Rover. Land Rovers will probably reach a dominant market share, but they know how to treat their customers. If you are buying a high-end Range Rover, you are moved to the front of the line.

Now before folks get on me about the flaws in this analogy, I do understand that Verizon adds another layer of complexity. That said, Verizon is a major US carrier, and for where I live their coverage is vastly superior to ATT and Sprint. It's simply not an option to ignore that fact.

That said, the majority of defections from this loyal group are not jumping carriers, they are jumping to iOS and Android. She someone posts that they just switched to an HTC product, of all things, you know morale is at a major low.

This phone has an excellent build quality and at the time of its release had all the product specs to be a true flagship phone. What it lacks is manufacturer support - to include twisting the carrier's arm about updates, or if impossible, being forthright in communicating where the delays lie.

On 8.1, this is the best phone I have ever owned. On 8.0, the user experience is completely lacking. Unfortunately, the official carrier version of the Icon is still 8.0. What's more, without Cyan, which we never got, we don't have Miracast support or Bluetooth LE. Without denim, we don't have hey Cortana or the new camera app.

Most of all, though, we don't have any response from Microsoft. I don't believe there is anything wrong with this phone (other than a seriously undersized battery, which was a design compromise and which I knew was too small from reading the product specs before I purchased my Icon). Still, folks here have nothing but silence to speculate upon. Be real, Microsoft. Acknowledge that your most loyal customers have been left in the dark and illuminate us as to what is causing a 10-month delay in promised firmware updates. Even to say that the Cyan update should not have been announced until it was ready would have been something. But remember, the best windows phone sales force you have is on this thread. We are the people that other people come to and ask about phones. Not one of us can recommend a windows phone to anyone right now. But we want to. We really want to believe that denim will right all wrongs and get us caught up and that Verizon will start promoting WP again. Please don't wait until this thread ends with a page of folks posting that they got the iPhone 6 or the HTC, especially so they could get access to better versions of Office than we can get on WP. The current state of affairs is dire.

If you've already written off the US market for WP so be it - just please give us the courtesy of telling us.

I agree for the most part, but the Icon did (for me) and does (for other diehards) have issues with 8.1. The wi-fi has problems staying connected, and you won't notice it for a while. For me, with unlimited data, not a problem. For others, it is. I don't think 8.0 has that wifi issue. But, as you say, the battery is weak and the camera, while excellent at taking photos, takes way to long to snap a picture.

Personally, I think there are some hardware issues that may not be worked out and I don't think there will be any more updates for the Icon (that's just IMO). Too bad because it had potential. The M8 is a nice phone and really, the only phone I would consider using on Verizon. No, it doesn't have a great camera and no wireless charging, but the battery and the 801 processor help keep it going most all day. I truly hope the MS and WP pull themselves up and be competitive, but right now, I would not bet on it.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
OT sort of but can anyone here navigate to page 48 of this thread in their computer web browser? For some reason, I can go to all other pages, except page 48 (in my settings, the thread has 49 pages currently). When I click on it, or even type it directly into the address field, it takes me to page 43. Odd. Even going to page 47 directly and then clicking one page forward goes to page 43!

Last edited:

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
OT sort of but can anyone here navigate to page 48 of this thread in their computer web browser? For some reason, I can go to all other pages, except page 48. When I click on it, or even type it directly into the address field, it takes me to page 43. Odd. Even going to page 47 directly and then clicking one page forward goes to page 43!

Its working for me.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The wi-fi has problems staying connected, and you won't notice it for a while. For me, with unlimited data, not a problem. For others, it is. I don't think 8.0 has that wifi issue.

There was no difference at all in WiFi connectivity for my Lumia Icon between 8.0 and 8.1. The Icon has terrible WiFi reception and, as I've said several times, I think the only reason some people don't have a problem is because they happen to be using it in areas where their signal is fairly strong. If you have it in a weaker reception area and compare to other devices, its flaws are apparent. See http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ifi-icon-8-1-compared-my-lumia-521-8-1-a.html Here's a picture of my Lumia 521 and the Icon sitting literally side by side at the exact same time, and the WiFi signals they pick up (521 on the right):
66891d1400472470-wifimcdonalds.png

I don't know if this has anything to do with what is holding up the Verizon updates, probably not. But I think the networking hardware on this phone might be what caused its demise.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had much problems with the Wi-Fi between 8.0 and 8.1 but I do notice with 8.1 DP the Wi-Fi indicator seems to be buggy imho

in 8.1 DP I can have a strong connection but my indicator in the notification bar on the phone will show no connection or very poor connection

I've used speedtest.net or the MS network speed test to test my speeds when my Wi-Fi indicator shows no connection and I still experience about the same strong upload/download speeds that I was getting when I was using 8.0/black

I tested not just my home network but other places like my college and work networks and hotspots at restaurants/bars I go to and they seem to have little difference in speed switching from 8.0 to 8.1 DP it's just the Wi-Fi indicator doesn't always seem to show the true nature of my network connection

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the status bar Wi-Fi indicator is definitely wonky and unreliable. That's a separate issue though (or maybe a different symptom for the same problem), if a network isn't even available to connect to as in the screenshots above, it's clearly something more seriously flawed in the signal reception.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone was still wondering which US Carrier is more supportive of the WP8 platform, here's some useful information.

AT&T's Windows Phone options: AT&T Phones Powered By Windows 8 - Microsoft Store

Verizon's wide array of Windows Phone options: Verizon Phones Powered By Windows 8 - Microsoft Store

Along with these excellent descriptions about Verizon Windows Phones from the website.

We have a range of HTC, Nokia, and Samsung phones designed to meet your needs, whatever they are. Shop our selection of Verizon phones today and find the perfect phone for you.

And this gem:

All of our Windows Phones for Verizon are powered by Windows Phone 8.1, a customized experience that makes your phone a true extension of you.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
lol I'm torn of what to use in my signature because that whopper of lie by Verizon is tempting

"All of our Windows Phones for Verizon are powered by Windows Phone 8.1, a customized experience that makes your phone a true extension of you."

or

"?Nokia Lumia 929 last updated 05/07/2014 9+ months and counting a true testament of Verizon's serious commitment to the WP platform"

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
While this is not 8.1 related I would mention to those who are going to jump ship to something else out of frustration, there is something that should not be overlooked. If you use the Icon as a phone, you will hear the best sound in your ear of any cell phone you've likely ever used. At least mine is that way.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
While this is not 8.1 related I would mention to those who are going to jump ship to something else out of frustration, there is something that should not be overlooked. If you use the Icon as a phone, you will hear the best sound in your ear of any cell phone you've likely ever used. At least mine is that way.

I mean... The Lumia 1520 and 830 use the exact same audio hardware. So I don't know why it'd be that different. Unless you're talking about connectivity/reception - in that case, you're looking at a whole different set of factors.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Well 928 got timely updates for Amber, Black, and was one of the first to get Denim. It is a great device, and if you want to stay on Verizon with a working Lumia/official 8.1 - just buy the 928. Also, its xenon flash makes a huge difference in low light pictures, which were already better than the Icon's anyway. And it has glance!

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Well 928 got timely updates for Amber, Black, and was one of the first to get Denim. It is a great device, and if you want to stay on Verizon with a working Lumia/official 8.1 - just buy the 928. Also, its xenon flash makes a huge difference in low light pictures, which were already better than the Icon's anyway. And it has glance!

Why on Earth would anyone do that?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Att has 3 gigs of data For 50 buvks... vs verizons 2gigs for 70 or 65

I have Verizon, I have UNLIMITED data for $30, and your point ? SO ?

Another week waiting....Sigh, I will still stand by the fact that we will see Windows 10 BEFORE we see Denim, and there WILL be a requirement of at least Cyan/8.1 official to use it so, Verizon will screw us both ways, cant get Denim and cant get Windows 10...

Waiting for this release....tick, tock, tick, tock...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

It is a fantastic phone with regards to sound (and image) quality in all aspects. I can't imagine there are too many phones out there that beat it in that respect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon