10-20-2014 01:16 PM
34 12
tools
    *high fives all around* Right?! RIGHT?!?!?!?!

Ya ya I know this phone may or may not see the Cyan/Denim upgrade but I wanted an upgrade from my HTC 8X (a disappointment to say the least). I happen to like Verizon's service because making a phone call > than not making a phone call on AT&T....at least in SoCal. So it's either this or the HTC One and well, to me the One is seriously lacking the in hardware department compared to what I plan on using the Icon for. Mainly photo and video.

I originally had the 822 when it first came out and for what it was it took great video/audio compared to my 8X and I missed that. I think people underestimate how good HAAC is when recording videos, especially when there's lots of ambient noise. So here I am, Icon....chea! I know windows phone is a lose lose situation on Verizon and they really don't have any high-end Microsoft/Nokia WP on the horizon (hint hint Verzion, wanting to buy a 1020, but with next-gen hardware) but I still like the platform and could live with it being stuck at 8.

Are yall really not happy with the Icon? Even if it's left at 8?
    cbreze likes this.
    10-17-2014 05:41 PM
    I love my icon. I know some have had a few issues, but mine had been pretty much flawless on 8.1 dp. Sure I'd like cyan but the only thing it would do for me personally is enable Miracast.
    HarrBear likes this.
    10-17-2014 06:31 PM
    The ICON is a great device even on 8, but you should at least try the 8.1 DP as a lot of us had very good success with it. Either way "high five" and enjoy.
    10-17-2014 07:14 PM
    I don't think you are crazy. I think you are a smart buyer. It's a great phone and will be for another couple of years. The updates will come and you will be happy.

Congratulations
    10-17-2014 07:54 PM
    You picked a great phone. Sure the support for it is a bit slow, but even on 8.0 this blows my iPhone 4S out of the water.
    NancyAnnL likes this.
    10-17-2014 10:19 PM
    Just curious- did you buy a used Icon for cheaper that you could buy a new one- $99?
    10-18-2014 07:14 AM
    I've seen too many "Call me crazy. I bought an Icon" threads on this subsection. Of course no one is going to call you crazy. It's an incredible phone. We all love it.

I think we will see Cyan and Denim. And even Windows 10. Its just going to take longer for us than for everyone else.

Enjoy!
    10-18-2014 10:59 AM
    Just curious- did you buy a used Icon for cheaper that you could buy a new one- $99?
    Not everyone has an upgrade to use or even wants to use it. Considering how long ago this phone released don't know to many who'd use a 2 year upgrade credit on it. Just my .02
    10-18-2014 11:07 AM
    Not everyone has an upgrade to use or even wants to use it. Considering how long ago this phone released don't know to many who'd use a 2 year upgrade credit on it. Just my .02
    There was no offense intended with my question to the original poster- whom you are not.

I used my 2 year upgrade to get it just 2 weeks ago because I think it's a great phone- regardless of how many months it's been out.
    10-18-2014 11:31 AM
    Well its a forum for commenting after all. And as I said, my .02 only. guess I shouldn't have quoted. ;)
    raqball likes this.
    10-18-2014 11:43 AM
    We're ALL crazy. It's just varying degrees. As long as you're happy with your device, that's all that matters. High five my brutha!
    10-18-2014 11:53 AM
    OP you are not crazy at all the Icon still compares very well to the top tier smartphones even though it is a 8-9 month old device

Comparing the iPhone 6 to the top Windows Phones, including Lumia 1020, HTC One and Lumia 1520 | Windows Phone Central

the Icon is very good even with black/8.1 DP and I can only image how much better it would be with the proper firmware cyan/denim but sadly the Icon was released on Verizon and is getting little to no support from Big Red

ridiculous that a top tier device is getting treated like this
    10-18-2014 12:15 PM
    OP you are not crazy at all the Icon still compares very well to the top tier smartphones even though it is a 8-9 month old device

Comparing the iPhone 6 to the top Windows Phones, including Lumia 1020, HTC One and Lumia 1520 | Windows Phone Central

the Icon is very good even with black/8.1 DP and I can only image how much better it would be with the proper firmware cyan/denim but sadly the Icon was released on Verizon and is getting little to no support from Big Red

ridiculous that a top tier device is getting treated like this
    As far as I am concerned, the iPhones do not compare to the Lumia at all. Lumia is way ahead, both in hardware and software.
    10-18-2014 12:29 PM
    Congrats on your purchase! I have a black Icon and love it!
    Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk.
    10-18-2014 01:01 PM
    I had an Icon since it came out. Recently tried the HTC One and it was good, but right now, I'm back to my Icon. I could go into all the reasons, but for two, the HTC is a little hard to hold and type on and the screen in daylight is so much better. I just wish the Icon battery was close to the HTC, but at least it has wireless charging.
    10-18-2014 02:22 PM
    Well its a forum for commenting after all. And as I said, my .02 only. guess I shouldn't have quoted. ;)
    Yes, everyone can comment, but your reply to my question (which only the original poster could answer) was rather snarky. And your following comment about not knowing too many who'd use a 2-year carrier renewal for the Icon came across as insulting. My comments and questions should be respected like anyone else's.
    Last edited by NancyAnnL; 10-18-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    10-18-2014 02:26 PM
    The icon is a great phone :) the only thing that kills it for me is the glance screen, if it had that option then I would have jumped on board.. However I should start getting used to the idea that Glance screen won't be there in the future.... :'(
    10-18-2014 05:05 PM
    Nah, I hate the idea of being tied to a carrier for two years and having to pay them to leave if I so choose. I buy all my phones used off ebay/craigslist when they hit that 150-250 range (Trophy, 822, 8X, and now the Icon). Now if we're talking 1020 with next gen specs on Verizon, I would consider the contract. The phone specs would have to blow me away though, kind of like Sony Z4 rumored specs. :)
    gernerttl and NancyAnnL like this.
    10-18-2014 05:20 PM
    Icon is fabulous! Get the Developer Preview and enjoy.
    10-18-2014 05:22 PM
    I think you did good.
    10-18-2014 06:05 PM
    Once you get the Icon, you'll never want anything else. ;)
    10-18-2014 07:36 PM
    Forums are meant to help, not to be condescending. People can use their upgrades as they see fit, not just for the latest and greatest.
    NancyAnnL likes this.
    10-18-2014 08:01 PM
    I am considering one right now. Lots of great deals on EBay. I am currently using 928 on 8.1 DP. Although its working fine, I would love the camera and hardware upgrade of the Icon. Too bad Cyan is not out yet. I really want Bluetooth 4 LE for my Fitbit.
    10-19-2014 12:53 AM
    There was no offense intended with my question to the original poster- whom you are not.

I used my 2 year upgrade to get it just 2 weeks ago because I think it's a great phone- regardless of how many months it's been out.
    Yes, everyone can comment, but your reply to my question (which only the original poster could answer) was rather snarky. And your following comment about not knowing too many who'd use a 2-year carrier renewal for the Icon came across as insulting. My comments and questions should be respected like anyone else's.
    Slow the hate train down a little.. WOW!

I understood what cbreze was saying and I didn't for one second think he was slamming you until I read your response...

Holy bad day or what Batman?

I don't care if they were offering the Icon for free on contract as I'd pass it up and pay full price.. Not buying on a contract opens your options up.. I have not purchased an on contract priced phone in years..

I gladly paid the $499 retail price and I personally have no interest or desire in a contract from any carrier..

To be clear, I am not putting you down, calling you names, saying that you can't post your opinion or anything else that you may infer from this post right here..

cbreze, just like me, and just like you can post opinions..

[[[[ducking for the splatter back effect]]]
    cbreze likes this.
    10-19-2014 02:43 PM
    Slow the hate train down a little.. WOW!

I understood what cbreze was saying and I didn't for one second think he was slamming you until I read your response...

Holy bad day or what Batman?

I don't care if they were offering the Icon for free on contract as I'd pass it up and pay full price.. Not buying on a contract opens your options up.. I have not purchased an on contract priced phone in years..

I gladly paid the $499 retail price and I personally have no interest or desire in a contract from any carrier..

To be clear, I am not putting you down, calling you names, saying that you can't post your opinion or anything else that you may infer from this post right here..

cbreze, just like me, and just like you can post opinions..

[[[[ducking for the splatter back effect]]]
    Why are you inserting yourself in this? Why do you assume to know what any other person means? It's really not your place to represent another person here- either Cbreze or me or anyone else.

Please don't refer to me as "Batman" or accuse me of having a bad day, or of starting a hate train. You say these things and then write, "I'm not putting you down or calling you names" when that is exactly what you did!

I asked the original poster, xX_Solaris, out of curiosity (which I stated) if he found the Icon cheaper than the $99 renewal price. I never said the only reasonable way to purchase it was on contract. There was NO reason for you to comment (or Cbreze) since it was a question directed specifically to xX_Solaris (since he was the only one who COULD answer my question)- and he answered me directly and respectfully.

If you consider this a "splatter back effect" (?), consider it well-deserved.
    10-19-2014 03:12 PM
34 12