Reboots after latest Preview update?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have used my Icon fine with the Preview for Developers version of WP 8.1, until the latest update.

Since then, I've had trouble booting the phone when doing a soft reset (it took 3 cycles of going to the red Verizon screen, sitting there for a minute, rebooting on its own before it loaded WP). Also, I had an issue with the lock screen becoming unlockable, and looking like a screenshot of the start screen... kind of hard to describe, but the Start screen slid up like the lock screen, but without the keyboard to unlock. That's happened twice in the last few days and I had to do soft resets (which led to the issue mentioned above).

Today, the phone spontaneously just rebooted itself, while sitting unused on a table. Very odd, haven't seen that before.

I should mention that when I first installed the update, I got a Blue Screen error when it booted up, and I had to reboot manually.

Anyone else had these issues after the latest update?

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I had my maps app lock up. I didn't notice it until I was trying to set a location based reminder in Cortana and all I got was a static halo...reboot fixed it, but a first for me as well. I also noticed that WiFi is not picking up as quickly as before.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any of the above problems since the most recent update.

Sorry to say this, Mike - but I might actually recommend doing a hard reset for someone with that many problems.

Mirage85

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
"Since then, I've had trouble booting the phone when doing a soft reset (it took 3 cycles of going to the red Verizon screen, sitting there for a minute, rebooting on its own before it loaded WP). "

I've had this same problem as well. I was also having some issues with the Bluetooth skipping when streaming podcasts and music in my cars so I tried a soft rest and this happened. I haven't tried again since its been working fine since. As long as it'll eventually start up for me, I'm not doing a hard reset. Based on my other experiences with this phone, I doubt that'll solve the problem anyway...

On the plus side, the soft rest seems to have fixed the Bluetooth skipping issue.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I experienced problems also with the last update compared to others we have received on the DP, random lockups and the lock screen freezing but fortunately a few soft resets seems to have fixed the problems

Like others have said if I were experiencing the same problems I would just do a hard reset and know that would most likely fix my problems

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have random reboots, too. Been happening pretty much since day 1 with the Icon I have now, which is a replacement to one that had all sorts of problems running the DP. It's definitely occurred more with the last couple DP updates, probably twice a week.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking a hard reset might be in order for me as well, as my store app wouldn't fire up this morning and would just go back to the start screen. Reboot fixed it but my phone reboots at least twice from a power off scenario until it finally launches.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Good to see I'm not alone with the issue... I guess. :) I am trying to avoid doing a hard reset, I did one two months ago and it took a while to get it back to how I wanted it... Was hoping to hold off on doing that again until Cyan comes out from Verizon. ;)

But just now it spontaneously rebooted again so... Might bite the bullet and do it. Bummer that this last update seems to have messed it up.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Let me know if that clears things up for you if you don't mind...I am really hesitating with a hard reset as well.

A.

I did a hard reset yesterday, but instead of setting everything up from scratch again like my last reset, I restored from a two day old backup.
Gotta say it's pretty smooth to do a hard reset now that way, with the newer apps backing up their login information, so you can just start using them right away again.
So far I haven't seen the issues I had come back, but I have one problem: I can't log in to my Windows Central account in their app. It crashes every time I try. I even reinstalled it manually and it still didn't work. Kind of weird and irritating. Will see over the next few days of there are more issues, but at least no reboots so far.

Last edited:

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't log in to my Windows Central account in their app. It crashes every time I try. I even reinstalled it manually and it still didn't work. Kind of weird and irritating. Will see over the next few days of there are more issues, but at least no reboots so far.

I would suggest uninstalling the Windows Central app and re-installing. That should fix the problem. Search the apps store to make sure you have the latest version.

jeffreymclean

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I also had to do a hard reset. My phone was acting possessed after the last DP update, it was randomly selecting item on the screen.
I second MikeSo comments that it is pretty smooth to restore from a hard reset. And now my phone is running great.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest uninstalling the Windows Central app and re-installing. That should fix the problem. Search the apps store to make sure you have the latest version.
I did that, twice, and it didn't help. Today I managed to log into the app though, by getting to the log in screen when trying to post an article comment instead of trying to use the forum section "sign in" button. Guess that's a workaround.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I have gone a few DP updates without a hard reset and if memory serves it seems like its a throw back to Windows 95 when you need to rebuild from time to time. MikeSo, does your WiFi seem to pick up normally after the hard reset?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So far no issues with WiFi after hard reset. Knock on wood. WiFi signal strength still sucks on the Icon compared to my other devices, but it's been that way from the beginning and I guess that's a hardware problem. I have a feeling it has a really poorly designed antenna.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes