I kinda can't stand my Lumia Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I was going to make the title of this post "I've come to the conclusion that the Lumia Icon sucks!" but thought it might be a wee bit harsh.

But, much as it pains me to say it, I really kinda can't stand my Icon.

I'm coming from a 928, which I had for nearly two years and absolutely loved. After cracking the screen i decided to go to Verizon Edge and do an early upgrade to the Icon.

So what's my beef? Let me tell you:

• Wi-fi, or more correctly, the lack thereof. I think this has been pretty widely reported by others, too. I'll be sitting in the very same room as my router and the damn phone won't be able to find the signal. We're talking 6 feet away in direct sight of the router.
  • Call signal. I get terrible reception in my house for Verizon, and after a year since my first complaint I was able to get them to give me a free signal booster. It's in the same room as my router, and even with it right there, most times I have two bars of service. Granted, this may be more Verizon's fault than that of my phone, but its an annoyance with the phone, nonetheless.
  • Email (!) I can receive email just fine for my Outlook, Yahoo and Google accounts, but I am unable to send emails via Outlook or Yahoo (haven't really tried for Google cos I don't use those accounts much). I type up the email, I hit send, I replicate/refresh, and the emails don't go anywhere. Eventually, at least with Outlook I usually (but not always) get a notification saying it couldn't go through so it put it in my drafts folder. On Yahoo not so much. It just sits in my outbox and never gets sent.
  • Camera. Holy hell is it ever slow. Slower, I daresay, than my 928. That cam was slow but it was rare I missed pictures because of it, and the quality of the pics, though many fewer pixels, were outstanding. Pics on my Icon are good, and sometimes great, but they don't blow me away like I expected based on reviews, and it also seems to have a hard time focusing at times. I expected it to shine with low light pics, but again, i'm not blown away. Maybe my expectations were too high? I don't know, but my overall I'd say I enjoyed using the camera on my 928 more than I do on the Icon.
  • Video. Sound and quality are good, but what annoys me, is that when I click on the button to review a video direct from the camera, it goes directly into playing the video instead of showing thumbnails of the available videos that I can select. And to delete a video you have to touch the screen to pull up the menu that has the delete button, all while the video is still playing. And once you delete it, it goes right into playing the next video. It's a really dumb and confusing interface imho.
  • No Glance screen. Probably not fair to complain about this since I knew going in that it didn't have it, and it's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I have to say I do miss having it.
  • Headphones. when I plug them in and am not on a call, I often hear a weird clicking sound. Also pretty darn annoying.
  • Using Cortana for directions. I think this is a recent development, and probably Verizon's fault, but when I ask Cortana for directions it takes me to VZ Navigator as the default instead of Here Drive, which it used to do. If that was a Verizon mandate, then I say screw Verizon. Which leads us into one final gripe:
  • NO CYAN, NO DENIM!! To know that there is an update that could resolve a lot of the things I take issue with about the Icon, chief among them the camera speed, which is not being rolled out for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum, is absolutely infuriating. Again, maybe not fair to pin that on the Icon specifically, but it affects my experience with the camera so I'm throwing it in here, too.

Those are my main gripes. There are probably some others that aren't coming to mind right now.

I know there's probably a myriad of different reasons for all these glitches and it's maybe not fair to pin them all directly on the Icon, but the fact is they all exist and regardless of the reason, they all contribute to a negative experience in using this phone.

Could be some of my issues could be fixed in settings or with other tweaks to the phone. If that's the case I'm all ears if anyone can suggest any fixes or workarounds.

Believe me, I don't want to not like this phone, but I also want to be able to do the things for which I bought the phone (make calls, get on internet/social media, email and text) hassle-free.

I want to keep the phone, but increasingly I'm considering ditching it...

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Somerichs;2902027[* said:
Using Cortana for directions. I think this is a recent development, and probably Verizon's fault, but when I ask Cortana for directions it takes me to VZ Navigator as the default instead of Here Drive, which it used to do. If that was a Verizon mandate, then I say screw Verizon. Which leads us into one final gripe:
[*]NO CYAN, NO DENIM!! To know that there is an update that could resolve a lot of the things I take issue with about the Icon, chief among them the camera speed, which is not being rolled out for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum, is absolutely infuriating. Again, maybe not fair to pin that on the Icon specifically, but it affects my experience with the camera so I'm throwing it in here, too.
[*]
[/LIST]

First Uninstall the VZ Navigator thats your first problem and install the GPS that you want to use (Example is Here Drive+)

Second most of the issues are basically fixed in Cyan and Denim.

Are you using Nokia Camera or the Microsoft Camera?
Does Emails send on cellular data, Wifi or neither?
Also are you on the Developer Preview or 8.0?

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I had an icon for a month, you forgot to mention a couple more things it sucks at:

1. The wi-fi stops connecting until you restart the phone.
2. The battery life is subpar, especially when you use the phone (Lumia 1520 kills by atleast double active use)

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
[*]Using Cortana for directions. I think this is a recent development, and probably Verizon's fault, but when I ask Cortana for directions it takes me to VZ Navigator as the default instead of Here Drive, which it used to do. If that was a Verizon mandate, then I say screw Verizon.

Settings>>Applications>>Maps>>"Set default voice navigation app" (at the bottom).
Should work :)

As for your email issues, sounds like an issue with server settings.

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I had an icon for a month, you forgot to mention a couple more things it sucks at:

1. The wi-fi stops connecting until you restart the phone.
2. The battery life is subpar, especially when you use the phone (Lumia 1520 kills by atleast double active use)

These are due to the firmware and the OS, depending on what you are running it will have subpar battery life.
Firmware will fix most of the issues that the phone is having we are just waiting on Verizon. If you want to complain about the phone, call Verizon and tell them how displeased the phone is acting due to their slowness on updates to WP.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
If you want to sell it, I'll pay $125 shipped and put you out of your misery. LOL Just kidding. Hopefully very soon, we will get the update we are so desperately owed.

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
  • Didn't think it would let me uninstall VZ Navigator, but it does, and I did.
  • I use Nokia Camera
  • Emails send on cellular or Wifi, I think
  • I am on Developer Preview.

rfulton

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I use the new Selfie and the new Camera360. Wi-Fi issues disappeared with 8 with the new firmware. Use Drive+ over Vzn Nav. Can't imagine your email issue. I hv Office 365 and outlook.com hint setup ActivSync. Also my ISP email from cox.net. ALl works well with and Calendar, Contacts Sync.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
  • Didn't think it would let me uninstall VZ Navigator, but it does, and I did.
  • I use Nokia Camera
  • Emails send on cellular or Wifi, I think
  • I am on Developer Preview.

You can uninstall any app on Windows Phone. That's one of the benefits of WP over Android. You don't have to keep carrier bloatware.

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Update: I LOVE MY LUMIA ICON!

Rockin' the Denim upgrade and life is sweet. Kickass camera, Hey Cortana works like a charm, and everything in general is snappy as can be.

Life is great! 😁

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Rockin' the Denim upgrade and life is sweet. Kickass camera, Hey Cortana works like a charm, and everything in general is snappy as can be.

Life is great! 😁

I got an icon early Jan. Installed dev preview and coming from 928 noticed the horrible WiFi and terrible battery. Rocking denim the let week and half and can see significant improvement to WiFi, camera and overall snappiness. Hey cortana is sweet. The battery is better but not as I was hoping. Getting it when I did I got to experience the anti denim drama but didn't have to endure it as long as the rest.

I'm missing glance and 2x tap wake but the larger screen and speed improvements make up for it.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

Life is great! 😁
I read your post a few weeks ago and it made me sad. This update makes me much happier!

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I was going to make the title of this post "I've come to the conclusion that the Lumia Icon sucks!" but thought it might be a wee bit harsh.

But, much as it pains me to say it, I really kinda can't stand my Icon.

I'm coming from a 928, which I had for nearly two years and absolutely loved. After cracking the screen i decided to go to Verizon Edge and do an early upgrade to the Icon.

So what's my beef? Let me tell you:

• Wi-fi, or more correctly, the lack thereof. I think this has been pretty widely reported by others, too. I'll be sitting in the very same room as my router and the damn phone won't be able to find the signal. We're talking 6 feet away in direct sight of the router.
  • Call signal. I get terrible reception in my house for Verizon, and after a year since my first complaint I was able to get them to give me a free signal booster. It's in the same room as my router, and even with it right there, most times I have two bars of service. Granted, this may be more Verizon's fault than that of my phone, but its an annoyance with the phone, nonetheless.
  • Email (!) I can receive email just fine for my Outlook, Yahoo and Google accounts, but I am unable to send emails via Outlook or Yahoo (haven't really tried for Google cos I don't use those accounts much). I type up the email, I hit send, I replicate/refresh, and the emails don't go anywhere. Eventually, at least with Outlook I usually (but not always) get a notification saying it couldn't go through so it put it in my drafts folder. On Yahoo not so much. It just sits in my outbox and never gets sent.
  • Camera. Holy hell is it ever slow. Slower, I daresay, than my 928. That cam was slow but it was rare I missed pictures because of it, and the quality of the pics, though many fewer pixels, were outstanding. Pics on my Icon are good, and sometimes great, but they don't blow me away like I expected based on reviews, and it also seems to have a hard time focusing at times. I expected it to shine with low light pics, but again, i'm not blown away. Maybe my expectations were too high? I don't know, but my overall I'd say I enjoyed using the camera on my 928 more than I do on the Icon.
  • Video. Sound and quality are good, but what annoys me, is that when I click on the button to review a video direct from the camera, it goes directly into playing the video instead of showing thumbnails of the available videos that I can select. And to delete a video you have to touch the screen to pull up the menu that has the delete button, all while the video is still playing. And once you delete it, it goes right into playing the next video. It's a really dumb and confusing interface imho.
  • No Glance screen. Probably not fair to complain about this since I knew going in that it didn't have it, and it's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I have to say I do miss having it.
  • Headphones. when I plug them in and am not on a call, I often hear a weird clicking sound. Also pretty darn annoying.
  • Using Cortana for directions. I think this is a recent development, and probably Verizon's fault, but when I ask Cortana for directions it takes me to VZ Navigator as the default instead of Here Drive, which it used to do. If that was a Verizon mandate, then I say screw Verizon. Which leads us into one final gripe:
  • NO CYAN, NO DENIM!! To know that there is an update that could resolve a lot of the things I take issue with about the Icon, chief among them the camera speed, which is not being rolled out for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum, is absolutely infuriating. Again, maybe not fair to pin that on the Icon specifically, but it affects my experience with the camera so I'm throwing it in here, too.

Those are my main gripes. There are probably some others that aren't coming to mind right now.

I know there's probably a myriad of different reasons for all these glitches and it's maybe not fair to pin them all directly on the Icon, but the fact is they all exist and regardless of the reason, they all contribute to a negative experience in using this phone.

Could be some of my issues could be fixed in settings or with other tweaks to the phone. If that's the case I'm all ears if anyone can suggest any fixes or workarounds.

Believe me, I don't want to not like this phone, but I also want to be able to do the things for which I bought the phone (make calls, get on internet/social media, email and text) hassle-free.

I want to keep the phone, but increasingly I'm considering ditching it...
I will buy it

cslawren

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
NO CYAN, NO DENIM!! To know that there is an update that could resolve a lot of the things I take issue with about the Icon, chief among them the camera speed, which is not being rolled out for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum, is absolutely infuriating. Again, maybe not fair to pin that on the Icon specifically, but it affects my experience with the camera so I'm throwing it in here, too.

You do realize that Denim has in fact been released for the Icon and that it addresses nearly all of the issues you mentioned, right?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Life is great! 😁

It looks like the OP is once again a happy WP camper. Glad Denim worked out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3