Massive data usage in "Restore data"

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Since 2/23, I have had massive data usage at random times. 1GB here and there, sometimes in the middle of the night.

My Data Sense shows that the "Restore data" app has used 8.17 GB in the last two days. All of my other apps are using negligible amounts of data.

What is the "Restore data" app, and how do I tell it to stop using so much data?

One additional bit of info: 2/23 was also the date that the Microsoft Health app updated. I use a MS Band. It seems like there may have been some type of update pending on the band. When I called Verizon's tech support, they said that the pending update might have something to do with the massive data usage. We completed the update to the Band, and they said to give it another day to see if the data usage continues. I'm skeptical. While I have no idea what this "Restore data" app is, it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the Band.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The same thing happened to me too. But thankfully it only used about 250 Mb of data. Nevertheless, I was pissed and couldn't find a way to turn it off at all and no explanation as to what "restore data" is or what its purpose is.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Like SpaceyO said, if so, you can change you auto upload to OneDrive. Either turn it off, or set to upload over WiFi only. You can also set any app updates to happen over WiFi only as well.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I had it set to upload to OneDrive only over WiFi, so unless that was malfunctioning, that shouldn't have been the problem.

Torrez Maier

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Same here. 2GB of data via mobile + 4.5GB on WiFi. Vodafone UK are saying large files are likely to use both connections simultaneously and they say they can't help. Will Microsoft?

Also photo/video uploads don't come under 'Data to restore'. It is also *not* possible to upload videos automatically to onedrive without WiFi guys so don't talk nonsense please! This is meant to be only backing up settings and passwords. Besides all of what I have in one drive has only got just over 2GB in total. Also my phone says last time the backup took place was a week ago and this excessive data usage happened in last 24hrs. Clearly a bug - I hope Microsoft can rectify this.

Also, I don't own a Microsoft Band.

Last edited:

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Same here. 2GB of data via mobile + 4.5GB on WiFi. Vodafone UK are saying large files are likely to use both connections simultaneously and they say they can't help. Will Microsoft?

Also photo/video uploads don't come under 'Data to restore'. It is also *not* possible to upload videos automatically to onedrive without WiFi guys so don't talk nonsense please! This is meant to be only backing up settings and passwords. Besides all of what I have in one drive has only got just over 2GB in total. Also my phone says last time the backup took place was a week ago and this excessive data usage happened in last 24hrs. Clearly a bug - I hope Microsoft can rectify this.

Also, I don't own a Microsoft Band.

After I continually had this problem I just use the mobile data toggle to turn it off when I'm at home on WiFi

Trent Vann

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's killed my data plan the past few months, so yes it's not just data sense reporting it wrong. I've also turned off the auto uploads for both Photos and Video's but it's still hitting my wifi. I did reboot after turning it off, I'm just hoping I don't need to do a reset.

Trent Vann

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This is what I got from MS support: Thank you for waiting. Upon checking, please be informed that this feature/app shows the data that was backed up from your phone when you turn on the back up feature.

txaggie2016

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My mom's phone is doing this -- 5GB of wasted data in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.

Are there any updates? I've managed, recently, to get my entire family onto Windows Phone and this is just a huge embarrassment if there's no fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss