Visit site
My personal phone history
- some nokia flip phone
- sprint katana
- blackberry curve
- iphone 3gs
- galaxy s2
- lumia icon

The blackberry curve was definitely the worst on this list, but my year old Nokia Lumia Icon is a close 2nd-to-worst. I'm not sure what really made me go after it, whether it was the drive to try every phone OS out there and see which is best, or whether I was just drinking the koolaid of all the current WP users out there. All I know is that the purchase of this phone was an absolute mistake.

In terms of functionality, the only good thing about it is the camera. Every single other feature that it has is sub-par compared to android and apple. It's crazy how for such simple things like looking up a general term on the maps app zooms me out and gives me 3 semi-relevant selections that are nowhere near me (when searching for things like "car wash" or "gas station" for example). If I disconnect from the cellular network after entering a parking garage or elevator, it sometimes doesnt regain internet connectivity.

Most of the apps that I use are essentially internet explorer windows in fancy skins... seriously? And that's even if there is an app to begin with. Forget about new cool gadgets or w/e that come out, because odds are that you cant bluetooth to it and use it (fitbit, for example... did they even finally provide functionality?).

I dont know about everyone else's personal experience, but my phone also crashes randomly. It just restarts out of seemingly nowhere. What's going on with that?

Based on the rave reviews that I hear from people when it comes to their windows phones, you'd think that there was some kind of advanced interface with increased capability.... but there simply isn't. There's nothing compelling about this phone that would make me want to buy another. The camera isn't THAT good.

Anyway, obviously this is a rant, and most people probably wont even read it, but that's ok. I just feel extremely disappointed in something that I had high hopes for. It gets aggravating when someone asks a question like, "when is this movie playing?" "where is that place?" "what is x?" and I have to turn to another person in the group and say, "can you look this up for me?" because my phone simply is too finicky to deal with.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You remind me of this dude that was on sprints crapwork, just before they started selling the iPhone. He hated the connection he had but when the iPhone news broke, he thought life would be suddenly glorious because of the iPhone. Well, it didn't take long before he could no longer escape the reality that the problem was sprint. Having said that, any phone could have a problem and yours does. Either return it for another or go back to you know works. My first 920 had a problem connecting to wifi. Problem? Yes. End of the world? Heck no. I returned it for another. Before I got my 1520, my 920 was the best WP I've owned. As I said, rather than tear down Lumia Icon because YOU happened to or with the phone, return it or replace it with what works for you.
easy-button.png

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Seems like the OP is more unfamiliar with WP. Yes, there are indications of a bad OS image or hardware problems, I would suggest a system restore to troubleshoot that. It can happen on any platform. I have a drawer at work full of bad devices of all types. A search using the search button on "car wash" or "gas station" provide 100% relevant results for me, with map links included. Are location services turned off?

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I think the Icon is the best phone I have owned. I had blackberries, androids, and used my wife's iphone 5 and 6 plenty of times. Aside from the lack of a few apps, it's just awesome. It runs smooth, never crashes for me and takes great pictures. And this was my opinion before Denim!

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
First...what os version are you on? If your not on 8.1 get it before you make a final determination...its really that much better.

Second I don't know what apps your using but I got everything I used on android and they're not fancied up IE skins.

And random reboots...i think my icon has done it one time maybe since I've had it......my android phone.....yeah.....more than that..app crashes..never on WP...android ...i can't even count..

Oh and I'm pretty sure it works with the fitbit now...though I'm pretty sure it does just about everything a fitbit does on its own already anyway though.

Something's wrong with your phone.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
One post and he hates the Icon?? If it smells like a troll................................. My Icon has preformed flawlessly. And since Denim it has only gotten better!

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I read alot and post little but my Icon is the best phone I have ever owned. I'd return that phone, something wrong with it. I'd love to have a 1520 but att is just dead in the water far as signal where I live.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Lumia Icon is a bust compared to a Galaxy S2. Well, OK. The S2 is a decent, albeit old, phone. I don't think the S2 was even available on Verizon, so the OP must be coming from some other carrier, but I guess that's besides the point.

Anyways, we have a iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, and a Galaxy S4 in the family (outside of my 930). I wouldn't trade my phone for any of them.

Last - I have never had an issue finding anything I was looking for in terms of search, etc. In fact, because of the larger screen, the kids and wife usually ask to use my phone for that stuff.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
First...what os version are you on? If your not on 8.1 get it before you make a final determination...its really that much better.

Second I don't know what apps your using but I got everything I used on android and they're not fancied up IE skins.

And random reboots...i think my icon has done it one time maybe since I've had it......my android phone.....yeah.....more than that..app crashes..never on WP...android ...i can't even count..

Oh and I'm pretty sure it works with the fitbit now...though I'm pretty sure it does just about everything a fitbit does on its own already anyway though.

Something's wrong with your phone.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Heck, his examples all work on WP8.

Heck, they work on WP7.5!

I mean, come with some real complaints like...hamburgers, or something. :D

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I LOL'd at this entire thread - Lumia Icon is hands down the best phone I've ever used (different strokes I guess.........) - you should definitely use the Nokia Recovery tool, it sounds like you either got a lemon, or you need to re-flash the OS. Make sure all the updates are installed (Denim).
I'm coming from 6+ years of Android use (Droid, Droid X, Galaxy Nexus, Note 2), and use of my Wife's IPhone 5S, and an Ipad2............nothing is as smooth as the Icon (IPhone 6 is the closest I've seen, but IOS is such a horrible/boring UI). The Camera wipes the floor with any other phone on the market......On 1+ year old tech

manders500

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Held a Droid turbo last night, if I didn't hate Google so much id be in that phone

I agreed until I used the camera on the Turbo, I have kids so a camera is essential for when I do not want to lug around my DSLR.

As for the OP, My ICON has been great expect for the lack of apps and now the removal of apps like BoA and shortly lived SoftCard. Some days that Droid Turbo looks good until I see my pictures from the ICON.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes