4K video recording is amazing!!!

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I was at the tide pools today in San Diego. Decided to really try out the 4K recording. It's frigging amazing!!! The level of detail is spectacular! Especially if you can have the camera in a static position. I got really close to the water and looked at the rocks and the definition was amazing.

I wish the Icon had an external memory card slot!!! 4K videos are huge and between the apps, the OS, and the offline Here maps, there's so little available space.

I don't know if my desktop PC is too weak or if the Icon takes a bit to get going, but the beginning of the recording would have a low framerate with some stutter. After a very brief amount of time, the recording would be smooth and terrific. So if it is the recording that's the issue, make sure when you film that you have some filler recording time at the beginning that you can then trim away so no one ever sees the rough video.

Also, I notice that you can't pan very fast with 4K recording on the Icon. So it might not be useful in many recording situations. As long as the camera is steady and not panning much, the video will come out amazing.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I was at the tide pools today in San Diego. Decided to really try out the 4K recording. It's frigging amazing!!! The level of detail is spectacular! Especially if you can have the camera in a static position. I got really close to the water and looked at the rocks and the definition was amazing.

I wish the Icon had an external memory card slot!!! 4K videos are huge and between the apps, the OS, and the offline Here maps, there's so little available space.

I don't know if my desktop PC is too weak or if the Icon takes a bit to get going, but the beginning of the recording would have a low framerate with some stutter. After a very brief amount of time, the recording would be smooth and terrific. So if it is the recording that's the issue, make sure when you film that you have some filler recording time at the beginning that you can then trim away so no one ever sees the rough video.

Also, I notice that you can't pan very fast with 4K recording on the Icon. So it might not be useful in many recording situations. As long as the camera is steady and not panning much, the video will come out amazing.

Its ok if you record videos upto 2 minutes in 4k.For anything around 20 minutes in 4k you need atleast a 128 gb sd card

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Its ok if you record videos upto 2 minutes in 4k.For anything around 20 minutes in 4k you need atleast a 128 gb sd card

Again thank you for trying to help but please try to give helpful answers.

That is not true, 4K uses a lot off memory but not as much as you indicated.
20 min 4k is around 10GB but it is probably not possible to shot a 20 min 4K video without over heating your phone.

And the icon has no SD card support.

Last edited:

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Again thank you for trying to help but please try to give helpful answers.

That is not true, 4K uses a lot off memory but not as much as you indicated.
20 min 4k is around 10GB but it is probably not possible to shot a 20 min 4K video without over heating your phone.

And the icon has no SD card support.

Im just saying that you need a good sd card for long 4K videos

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Gosh I wish I had anything in my house that can display 4k haha. I took a few videos in 4k just to say I did, haven't been able to really view them though

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Gosh I wish I had anything in my house that can display 4k haha. I took a few videos in 4k just to say I did, haven't been able to really view them though

I've played them on my SP3 with no problems and I do see a big difference. Even though the SP3's display doesn't fully support 4k video.

I've crashed my 6 year old desktop a few times already because my video card doesn't support 4k. I've recently purchased a GoPro Hero4 Silver and I am now realizing that my desktop is going to be needing replaced soon... *sigh*

Last edited:

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I've played them on my SP3 with no problems and I do see a big difference. Even though the SP3's display doesn't fully support 4k video.

I've crashed my 6 year old desktop a few times already because my video card doesn't support 4k. I've recently purchased a GoPro Hero4 Silver and I am now realizing that my desktop is going to be needing replaced soon... *sigh*

That's the reason why I'm not crazy about 4k video. I just don't have anything that can support 4k at the moment. Even if I had the ability to view 4k content, sharing it would be another challenge because my friends and family can't view 4k content either!.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's the reason why I'm not crazy about 4k video. I just don't have anything that can support 4k at the moment. Even if I had the ability to view 4k content, sharing it would be another challenge because my friends and family can't view 4k content either!.

Yea, but, your next TV will. So build up a library of clips in 4K, you can always down convert them to 1080p if needed...

All the retailers are pushing 4K now, so if you never buy bottom of the line models, chances are you will get a 4k tv for your next set.

Native 4K content on a 4K tv looks mindblowing good, I have one and been living with it, WOW, love it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon