Replace Screen, Or Phone?

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks. I unfortunately dropped my Icon today and the screen has two large cracks. Phone is still usable put uncomfortable and I'm expecting the cracks to get worse or the screen to all out break.

I called around and found one place near me that wants $209 to replace the screen, and that just seems like a tad too much. So, question is, should I just keep my current Icon and get another phone (I've been looking at the 928 for a family member, seems like it wouldn't be a bad replacement), or find the cheapest repair price and go for it?

Alternatively there are a few used Icons on Ebay for around $100 that I could go with. I really like the Icon as a whole and it seems like there aren't many other options for Verizon besides the 928 which is a bit of a downgrade in some ways.
Thanks all!

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Well there's the look it up on YouTube and try to find "replace Icon broken screen digitizer" and try it yourself. Then you have to source out a Icon digitizer and see how much it is then proceed to do it yourself. Or see how much a used Icon on eBay is and if its cheaper than a digitizer, then I say go the used Icon route and save yourself the headache. I learned how to switch my Lumia 900 digitizer out on YouTube but that's just me but it was just an extra phone at the time.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
With the impending but uncertain chance of having a new set of Windows Phones announced along with or near to the official launch date of Windows 10, you may want to go for a cheap alternative in the meantime - perhaps those used Lumia Icons or a lower calibre Lumia. Both these choices have their trade offs, of course, but that's just part of our increasing device-co-mingled lifestyle.:cool:

Used Lumia Icons may have some form of wear, and with age device failure might already be impending. Warranty would most likely be out of the picture as well. And make sure that the phone is not locked to some carrier, and that the device is truly working with SMS and call functionality (just to be sure that you won't be purchasing a stolen Lumia Icon with a blocked IMEI).

Lower calibre Lumias will be limited in their functionality and the experience may not be as rich (or smooth, i.e. the touch screen and GPS problems of the L535). Nonetheless, the Windows Phone experience should be the more or less the same.

My vote would be to get a lower calibre Lumia in the meantime - unlocked for flexibility.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you have Asurion? If so, $50 will get you a replacement device, probably a refurbished Icon. If not, then go the EBay route. That was where I got my 928 when I switched to Windows Phone.

All you need to do is swap out the SIMs and you should be up and running.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses! I've got an Otterbox 2 layer case with the screen protector so I think I'm going to see how far I can get just never taking it out of the case until I decide to get a used Icon or see what the W10 Flagship will be.

Thanks all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon