Back to the 928

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
After enjoying the Icon for about three weeks, with a few days left in the return window I made the decision to send it back to Microsoft. It's an excellent device from a hardware perspective, but it doesn't offer enough on the software front to make it worth the premium over continuing to use my 928. Hey Cortana and Lumia Camera are compelling benefits, but even after three weeks they were simply being underused. Excluding those perks--and also taking into account the loss of what I feel are key features like Glance and double-tap to wake--I couldn't justify the $250 expenditure any longer...so I'm back to rockin' my 928.

I think this speaks more to the lasting goodness of the 928 versus the deficiency of the Icon, as well as the fact that the OS is optimized to run well on devices that don't necessarily have high-end specs. While there are apps on the 928 that launch a bit more slowly than they do on the Icon, from a basic user interface standpoint the two devices are very similar. I've used several devices in the last two or three years, and I still hold that the 928 has the best display of any of them, hands down. The external speaker on the 928 is louder than the Icon's, though it is a bit more tinny. Both headphone and charging ports are on the top edge of the device--a layout I find ideal and very convenient, especially when resting the phone in a stand or cradle.

In another post somewhere around here, I read a good bit where Windows Phones simply age better than Android devices, precisely because of the modest OS requirements on hardware. While a two-year-old Android phone would be a stuttering slow mess, the 928 is nearly on par with the Icon from a speed standpoint, at least to my perspective. The Icon is most certainly a faster and better-spec'd device, but unfortunately when used side by side, the advantages of the souped up internals just do not show as drastically as they should.

I think I'm going to continue using my trusty 928 and hold out hope for a game-changing Surface Phone at some point, while resisting the urge to try out other offerings in Android and iOS flavors. While I like what was done with the Icon and find the new flagship Windows 10 phones appealing, I don't think that's Microsoft's true future in mobile. (I mostly agree with everything Daniel wrote on this topic a few days ago)

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Great read!

I thought I needed the 1520, but it reality it did not offer a whole lot than what I had with the 925. Needless to say I made a similar decision as you ;)
Probably used "Hey Cortana" twice despite convincing myself I'd use her a whole lot more if I had the voice gesture lol

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Wife and I have 928 and we both never used Glance, but that's just our preference. We also loved our 928 until the battery started to weaken on both, and my 928 also had the damn wonky power button thing going on at exactly 2 years.

Totally respect what you're saying. Your use determines everything about the device you should use.
I picked up the Lumia Icon because it does everything I use with my 928 - email, messaging, photos, but better or faster. Never use glance, but that's just me..

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Glance and DT to wake are the only things I feel I am missing with my Icon....those would be the only reasons for me to change phones right now. Maybe getting a Band 2 after the X-mas season is over will show some good prices on them. The glance type movement of the Band 2 is highly intriguing for me as a Win phone user with no glance .....but a very highly capable and great phone in the Icon.

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Icon is worth $250 at this point but the secondary market has them for under $100. Well worth that money as an upgrade over the 928.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Not changing my 928 anytime soon. After 2+ years my phone looks almost as brand new (99/100).
I will not buy any phone without Glance and double tap

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. As much as I liked my 928 I feel like the Icon is a worthwhile upgrade. I especially like the larger screen size with very little size increase of the actual phone.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I totally feel your sentiment. I just got an Icon. I'm really on the fence about going back to my 928. Glance is a highly underrated feature. With no LED notice light it gives me a heads up about missed calls or messages. It also saves major battery since I'm not constantly turning my screen on to check the time.

The biggest disappointment is the Icon's camera. Daylight pictures are great but so were the 928's (definitely not as good but clear enough for anyone's needs). Once the lights go down the 928 wins hands down. The xenon flash is unmatched for close night shots and the camera's lower aperture makes a noticeable difference. In an almost pitch black scenario I took some side by side shots using both phones and no flash. Neither one had a really usable picture but the 928 captured at least two to three times more details in the photo. Adjusting the shutter time to 4 seconds didn't help the Icons case one bit. The Icon produces this weird super grainy dark image. The 928 produces a non grainy dark image.

Bigger screen and better hardware are refreshing to have but strangely I find that more of a novelty than the 928's glance screen and better camera...

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I had to do an insurance claim on my 928. They are giving me an Icon instead in return. I don't use glance nor DT, even though I tried it in the past. I hope it is a better experience than my 928, which I loved. I do use my camera a lot, so I'm worried about the reviews on it.

UPDATED: After 24 hours of using the Icon, I'm loving the speed & screen. I haven't tested the camera yet, due to it being shipped with Win8 Mobile (not even 8.1). So I have been doing updates and configuring most of last night. I find myself not missing my 928 so far.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes