Lumia Icon on T-Mobile?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I found this old thread about using the Lumia Icon on T-Mobile. It seems at one point it was possible a couple years ago, but there were some limitations. Here's the thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/274072-3.htm

I'm wondering now, in 2016, if it's still possible to use a Lumia Icon on T-Mobile and if any of the issues mentioned in that thread have been resolved or not. My Verizon Lumia Icon currently has the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Build. Is that thread the most up to date method for getting a Lumia Icon to work on T-Mobile if it even still works? Do I need to unlock my Icon or anything or will it work just by simply placing the activated T-Mobile SIM into it?

My main concern with this is that I will be traveling abroad soon to some other countries and T-Mobile has the best plan for international roaming whereas Verizon is way too expensive for that. So I'd like to be able to use my Icon instead of a cheaper phone that supports it. I'm pretty sure the Icon supports all the relevant bands.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That thread still holds true. You're likely to have issues with SMS/MMS, and I believe you'll only have 2g.

I don't recommend going that route. I'd say your best bet would be to buy a device that has the bands that T-Mobile supports.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
That thread still holds true. You're likely to have issues with SMS/MMS, and I believe you'll only have 2g.

I don't recommend going that route. I'd say your best bet would be to buy a device that has the bands that T-Mobile supports.

From what I understand, while traveling internationally, T-Mobile will be limited to 2G speeds anyways. And I'm not exactly sure how T-Mobile works internationally, but I assume it works the same way that Verizon does through carrier agreements and partnerships. Therefore, as long as the Icon has the proper global bands, it shouldn't matter which carrier I use as long as my account is authorized right?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Also, I noticed FreedomPop has a free global SIM service for unlocked AT&T and T-Mobile phones. Since FreedomPop's SIM service runs off of AT&T and T-Mobile's network, would the Icon hypothetically work with a FreedomPop SIM as well?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Also, I noticed FreedomPop has a free global SIM service for unlocked AT&T and T-Mobile phones. Since FreedomPop's SIM service runs off of AT&T and T-Mobile's network, would the Icon hypothetically work with a FreedomPop SIM as well?

I doubt it, but I am just guessing. FreedomPop seems to be very specific about what phones they support.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I doubt it, but I am just guessing. FreedomPop seems to be very specific about what phones they support.

Well they originally only took Sprint phones, but now that they have this unlocked SIM service, it should work in almost any phone according to their website. I would get a Lumia 950, but that's a bit out of my budget range right now so I was hoping to keep my Icon alive a little longer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon